U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 07:55 AM

8,017 posts, read 16,075,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post

You say it's better than it used to be, I assume we're talking crime and economy? When you say 'used to be' how recently would you say it was 'bad'? I've not been looking at cities and stuff like this for more than maybe 6 years, so any info or vibe I've got would have been in that time. Was it outdated info even then? Those images of New Bedford look really really nice. What's the cost of living like there? Is the real estate cheaper than in other places?
Mostly economy. It was never as good as cities nearby (Providence and Boston) and was often overlooked. The National Historic Park was only established 15 years ago and has only recently really started to look more and more attractive (those cobblestone streets were paved over and the buildings weren't in great shape).

Economically, Unemployment is still higher than it should be. However, the fishing industry has been the highest grossing in the country for the past 10 years. New Bedford's shipping industry has grown exponentially in the past 5 years and they're in the process of building a new $55 Million shipping terminal on the harbor to accommodate more cargo AND be the first staging area for offshore wind turbines (like Cape Wind).

The biggest change economically has been in the last 5 years. The economy didn't hit New Bedford as hard. In fact, New Bedford actually saw real growth in a few areas. First, high tech industries have really been attracted to New Bedford's technology park due to proximity to places like Boston/Providence and a much lower cost of operating a business. Second, healthcare is rapidly growing. Lots of specialization and growth in the local hospitals. Finally, the city, especially over the last 5 years has seen an absolute boom in small businesses opening up (particularly downtown). This means more jobs (for starters) and more life on the city streets. Nowhere is it more apparent than downtown which is really nice.

Housing in NB is quite affordable compared to the rest of the Northeast. I'm going to look at a 1800sq ft., 4 bedroom 2.5 bath house this weekend built in 1881, in move-in-condition listed for $94,000. It's not a foreclosure or short sale. Rents are quite a bit cheaper too.

6 years ago, you probably heard of negative out of people who haven't been to the city in a while. Reputation is ALWAYS the last thing to change. There are still plenty of people today who have no idea how much NB has changed. It's maybe more pronounced with NB because many people in MA rarely go to the city and their opinions are very dated. Almost anyone who visits now vs. 5-10 years ago will be quite impressed with the growth. It's not perfect. The unemployment rate needs to come down more. The schools need a lot of work. Crime could go down some more (though it's not and never has been astronomically high). Still, it's a very nice little city.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 07:55 AM

56,696 posts, read 80,995,527 times
If you want really small places, you may like these places: Clinton, New York: Historic Village of Clinton, NY Shopping & Entertainment Travel Guide

Village of Hamilton - Welcome to Hamilton New York

Brockport NY - the Greater Brockport Chamber of Commerce

Historic Owego Marketplace - Have fun Shopping, Dining and Sightseeing in Owego, NY - Home

Corning Area Chamber of Commerce Home
Corning's Gaffer District - Corning, New York - Shopping - Entertainment - Museums - Food

Old 03-21-2012, 04:55 PM

786 posts, read 1,603,836 times
Wow thanx very much all of you guys, especially you lrfox for all your New Bedford explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
6 years ago, you probably heard of negative out of people who haven't been to the city in a while. Reputation is ALWAYS the last thing to change. There are still plenty of people today who have no idea how much NB has changed. It's maybe more pronounced with NB because many people in MA rarely go to the city and their opinions are very dated. Almost anyone who visits now vs. 5-10 years ago will be quite impressed with the growth. It's not perfect. The unemployment rate needs to come down more. The schools need a lot of work. Crime could go down some more (though it's not and never has been astronomically high). Still, it's a very nice little city.
I have to say that it's probably only been 3 or 4 years since I dove into New England and heard of New Bedford, but it was only Wikipedia and other things like that, so no opinions from people. I didn't come on this site until last year, and this thread is the first time I've had any personal perspective on the place.

Last edited by BruceTenmile; 03-21-2012 at 05:31 PM..

Old 03-22-2012, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Housing in NB is quite affordable compared to the rest of the Northeast. I'm going to look at a 1800sq ft., 4 bedroom 2.5 bath house this weekend built in 1881, in move-in-condition listed for $94,000. It's not a foreclosure or short sale. Rents are quite a bit cheaper too.
Also, to me, that is an insanely good price. Is that in a bad area or something? Surely that's not just 'quite affordable' compared to the rest of New England, that's way way way more affordable, unless of course it actually isn't as expensive as I thought. I mean $94,000 is somewhere around 60,000 and here that probably wouldn't even get you a run down one bedroom flat.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:53 AM

8,017 posts, read 16,075,189 times
It's not in a rundown area. It's in fairly decent middle class area. There's nothing wrong with it either (so far as I could tell). I'm having a friend who's an electrician walk through it with me on Saturday just to see if it's all right, but it's a nice house in a good spot.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:35 AM

^^Well that's fantastic then. I'm truly amazed that you can get all that for that price.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:57 AM

56,696 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
^^Well that's fantastic then. I'm truly amazed that you can get all that for that price.
It is actually more common in the Northeast than people realize. Much of the Interior Northeast is like this. You may even find suburban homes that are similar.

Here are some examples to show that it can work up here: Nothnagle.com - Property Search Results

Old 03-22-2012, 08:22 AM

4,464 posts, read 7,529,757 times
I'm going to put in a plug for two smaller Pennsylvania cities that have seen some pretty impressive revitalization/resurgence over the past couple of decades -- Lancaster and Bethlehem. Both of these cities have a significant amount of cultural offerings for their size, a great stock of affordable housing, thriving neighborhoods and are very proximate to several major metropolitan areas.

Lancaster

http://www.[blocked due to copyright reasons].com/north-...ania/lancaster

http://pressroom.padutchcountry.com/...casterCity.asp

Bethlehem

http://www.[domain blocked due to spam].com/album/detail/be...6N1IEO3CI7NGLA

http://localism.com/blog/pa/bethlehe...m-PA-About-The

Last edited by Duderino; 03-22-2012 at 08:31 AM..

Old 03-22-2012, 08:37 AM

^^I'm glad some one mentioned some PA cities, and I must say Lancaster has always interested me. Thanx El.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:51 AM

6,865 posts, read 7,811,377 times
Newport, RI:

All sizes | Newport, Rhode Island | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougtone/4887972850/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | 6939 - Newport, Rhode Island | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bethandphil/1326809093/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | Sailboats In Newport Harbor Newport, Rhode Island | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffsheehan2010/2725425003/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | Newport, Rhode Island | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougtone/4887376651/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | 2004-10-03 Newport, RI - Cliff Walk, 40 Steps - 07 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/quitelucid/76782703/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or