U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 11:42 AM

14,752 posts, read 28,600,845 times

Advertisements

This topic has always interested me. They are both represented to a great degree in big cities like NY, BOS, PHL, and Chicago, not to mention others. They share a common religion, most of the time, and kids of these two ethnic backgrounds are likely to have gone to parochial school together. The intermarriage rate among these two groups is astounding, from what I've seen. Growing up in the parochial school system, this was the most common ethnic background you saw (50:50), in most cases. Not many full-blooded Irish or Italians that were born in this country to first-gen Irish or Italians. Yet, in so many ways, they are different. For starters, their looks are different - there are textbook Irish faces and textbook Italian ones. They both consume alcohol, though Italians do it nightly at the dinner table or at feasts, but the Irish have a "pub" culture. The other thing is that, while the Irish can be direct and boisterous, they don't match the Italians in this department, especially when it comes to "off-color" humor or discussion. In that department, the Irish are a little bit more puritanical. That's my experience - the Italians laugh at this stuff while the Irish tend to turn a little "redder."

At any rate, do these groups mix well in large cities where there is a large representation of each? Is there friction? Or are they "two peas in a pod?" Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 12:04 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
Well being half Italian and half Irish; I think they mix very well

I like to think can both drink and eat...

Old 03-20-2012, 02:17 PM

28,248 posts, read 26,220,119 times
The Irish and Italians have pretty much the same relationship as blacks and Puerto Ricans/Dominicans in the Northeast.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:59 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,262,442 times
All of my (white) friends growing up were either Irish-Italian or they were Jewish.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
All of my (white) friends growing up were either Irish-Italian or they were Jewish.

Ha so true a few wasps and some polish folks

Oddly (or not so oddly) the Italians and Jews may share more similarities than do the Italians and Irish in many ways

They all actually seemed get along fairly well.

I always desribed my HS as 50% Italian and Irish, 30% Jewish, 10 Wasp and 10% other

Old 03-20-2012, 04:54 PM

792 posts, read 961,623 times
Cleveland in the 1970's was pretty rough with thatinteraction...they made a movie about the mob wars from that era:

'Kill The Irishman' Trailer HD - YouTube

Nowadays, not so much.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Oddly (or not so oddly) the Italians and Jews may share more similarities than do the Italians and Irish in many ways
Yeah, that's another thread, but not now. Their aptitude for high-drama and neurosis is a little more similar....with the combination I see most often is Italian girl and Jewish guy...this was in SoCal. And, sometimes, the parents weren't too happy about it.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronsonCharles View Post
how common is an italian - irish mix in america compared to a black and white mix?
Very common, especially in the NE and the more ethnic cities of the Midwest (Chicago, Cleveland, etc.)

Old 03-20-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Very common, especially in the NE and the more ethnic cities of the Midwest (Chicago, Cleveland, etc.)
Agreed; is a dine a dozen in the NE; while there are more and more bi-racial marriages; where there are historically large populations of Italians and Irish there is significantly more. They may die off so to speak in a generation or so as the Itlian and Irish become a little more watered down with each generation. America is a melting pot of many kinds

Old 03-21-2012, 02:06 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,262,442 times
I wonder if there will ever be a mass migration from Europe to the U.S. again. Given European demographic patterns with births vs. deaths barely breaking even, it doesn't look like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.