U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-12-2007, 04:11 PM

3,745 posts, read 3,442,907 times

Advertisements

I'd say that most of the Lower Midwestern cities are accommodating of newcomers (KC, STL, Indy, Columbus, and Cincinnati). the Twin Cities i think also are pretty accomodating of other people. Southern cities IMO tend to be the most accepting of cities, particularly in the Upper South (Louisville, Lexington, Nashville, Memphis, Raleigh, Charlotte, etc.) Florida is probably pretty accomodating as well. I don't know about Texas but a lot of Northerners live there now so it must be accomodating.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 07:54 PM

151 posts, read 479,042 times
My area in Eastern Ohio is very welcoming to newcomers.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:56 PM

86 posts, read 354,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Don't go to NJ, people there are not friendly. I have a friend in Redonoth Beach Delaware and I'm told its friendly there.
Diane
Who are you to generalize an entire state of over 8 million people?

Dont go to Tennessee I hear its lame there...

Old 09-12-2007, 10:22 PM

4,683 posts, read 7,399,945 times
The thing about northeast cities like New Jersey, Baltimore, and Boston are that the ethnic communities are very entrenched and if you are not Irish, Italian, or Jewish or Polish or something you will not be accepted.

I've heard Baltimore, Philly, and Boston are especially like this. People are very ethnic and it is not common for them to have close friends outside of their ethnic group. Working-class Irish and Italian neighborhoods are especially openly hostile to newcombers (in a way similar to a white man showing up in South Central LA I've heard from friends). Movies like Rocky or Good WIll Hunting make those communities feel close-knit, but that is only if you share the same socioeconomic, ethnic, and religious background of the people there. Lower class Italians and especially Irish are very racist and narrow-minded and only hang out with their own. If someone else enters their local pub they will most likely respond with violence.

Basically, Northeastern/East Coast cities are a collection of separate neighborhood that are insular and bigoted, probably more so than the most stereotypical small southern or West Virginia towns without the civility and manners. The Northern-controleld media makes you believe that the north is not racist and is "liberal" when its an illusion. Many black people feel a lot more racism up north than down south.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:54 PM

27,550 posts, read 22,907,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
The thing about northeast cities like New Jersey, Baltimore, and Boston are that the ethnic communities are very entrenched and if you are not Irish, Italian, or Jewish or Polish or something you will not be accepted.

I've heard Baltimore, Philly, and Boston are especially like this. People are very ethnic and it is not common for them to have close friends outside of their ethnic group. Working-class Irish and Italian neighborhoods are especially openly hostile to newcombers (in a way similar to a white man showing up in South Central LA I've heard from friends). Movies like Rocky or Good WIll Hunting make those communities feel close-knit, but that is only if you share the same socioeconomic, ethnic, and religious background of the people there. Lower class Italians and especially Irish are very racist and narrow-minded and only hang out with their own. If someone else enters their local pub they will most likely respond with violence.

Basically, Northeastern/East Coast cities are a collection of separate neighborhood that are insular and bigoted, probably more so than the most stereotypical small southern or West Virginia towns without the civility and manners. The Northern-controleld media makes you believe that the north is not racist and is "liberal" when its an illusion. Many black people feel a lot more racism up north than down south.
That would depend on where. As a black person, I can honestly say that the worst prejudice I have experience was in the South(specifically Georgia). I agree that the difference is that there are more ethnic groups in northern cities and more distinct, almost to a fault. In the South, it is more just black and white.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:03 PM

2,775 posts, read 8,607,620 times
Quote:
Or something... Exactly. Or Chinese, or French, or Turkish, or Australian, or British, or German, or Veitnamese, or Japanese, or fricking Antarctican. The Northeast is very accepting.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:51 PM

11,698 posts, read 21,498,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDigital85 View Post
Who are you to generalize an entire state of over 8 million people?

Dont go to Tennessee I hear its lame there...
please, her agenda is well documented. it's quite amusing, actually!

Old 09-13-2007, 05:00 PM

690 posts, read 1,719,287 times
I think Texas is very welcoming to newcomers - but my city (Houston) is not walkable!

Old 09-13-2007, 05:05 PM

4,683 posts, read 7,399,945 times
Futurecop....the thing is your own ethnic group will accept you but not anyone else, at least in the inner-city areas of major East Coast cities, like the Italian, Irish, Polish, and Jewish neighborhoods. The suburbs were kinda different but with increased immigration, many of the illegals only hang out with their own......

I know Idaho and Arizona were welcoming until the Californians and Yankees worn out their welcome.....

Old 09-13-2007, 05:08 PM

86 posts, read 354,951 times
Quote:

I dont know where your comming up with this stuff. This isnt the 1960's, this the year 2007. Northeastern communities are not "insular and bigoted" Ive lived New Jersey, NY, and Boston and have always had friends of all different race and backgrounds.

Please dont try and tell me the South is more accepting of diversity than the North is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.