U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 11:16 AM

637 posts, read 244,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post

South Asians used to be included in the Caucasian "white category" as well. Finally after much lobbying Indians and Pakinstani's are no longer categorized as caucasian.

Their is currently an effort among middle easterners as well to have their own separate category. I think if their were more people from the mid east living in the U.S. they would have their own box to check.
There are plenty of Middle Easterners in the Northeast and Midwest...I see them everyday where I live.

It's also good to see states like New York, New Jersey, and Texas catch up to California on Asian population. I wonder if things remain the same, one of these states may be able to surpass California?

Last edited by Huge Foodie 215; 03-23-2012 at 12:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 12:52 PM

13,383 posts, read 14,430,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
It's also good to see states like New York, New Jersey, and Texas catch up to California on Asian population. I wonder if things remain the same, one of these states may be able to surpass California?
California has more Asians than Texas, NY, and New Jersey combined. The answer to that is...not for several decades if that.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
California has more Asians than Texas, NY, and New Jersey combined. The answer to that is...not for several decades if that.
Texas has a growing Southeast Asian population (Vietnamese, Laotian, Camobdian, Thai especially), much of whom are domestic migrants out of California.

New York and New Jersey combined have a larger South Asian population than California, and both states are about to surpass could CA in East Asian percentage pretty soon.

Though admittedly, it would be fair to say that a huge disproportionate amount of Asians live in California.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:59 PM

3,093 posts, read 1,696,801 times
There used to be a regular here with truly bizarre obsession with the numbers, percentages and distributions of Asian Americans. It was like his entire identity hinged on sustaining a myth about the Asian population in NY. After about the 15th mindless conflagration showing California was home to 5 million Asians vs 1.5 million in NY, he eventually went away. Maybe he went to work for the Orly Taitz campaign.

Old 03-24-2012, 03:50 PM

9,621 posts, read 8,308,939 times
Change in Asian location quotient by MSA (2000-2010)

(Map courtesy of Aaron Renn.)

What this map illustrates is the change in the concentration of the Asian population in every MSA, relative to the change in the national concentration. The darker the blue, the more concentrated the Asian population became relative to the United States. The darker the red, the more diluted it became relative to the United States. It doesn't mean that red areas are losing Asian people; it just means that their proportion of the total Asian population has decreased.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:36 PM

110 posts, read 121,211 times
Congrats to Georgia on its Asian population. It definitely clobbers every other state in the deep south and it can hold its own against the big power players.

Asian Indians are still the largest sub group of Asians in Metro Atlanta, but by next census I expect Koreans to have taken the crown. It's incredible how much the Korean population has exploded in Georgia. Literally, Koreatowns will spring up in suburbs overnight.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:58 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,866,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Thanks...I'd say the most significant stat for me would be Indians becoming the largest Asian minority in so many large cities these days. Quite a leap compared to 20 years ago.
At least two current U.S. state Governors that I know of, are of full-blooded Asian Indian parentage

Nikki Haley (South Carolina) and Bobby Jindal (Louisiana) - both Republicans

Old 03-26-2012, 10:38 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,138,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

What this map illustrates is the change in the concentration of the Asian population in every MSA, relative to the change in the national concentration. The darker the blue, the more concentrated the Asian population became relative to the United States. The darker the red, the more diluted it became relative to the United States. It doesn't mean that red areas are losing Asian people; it just means that their proportion of the total Asian population has decreased.
Interesting map. Should go without saying that the blue areas aren't necessarily gaining Aisan population just gaining percentage, but I'll mention it. A county I used to live in is losing population, but their Asian population percentage is edging up a tiny bit. I imagine that that is what happened in that case.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:55 PM

709 posts, read 499,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
At least two current U.S. state Governors that I know of, are of full-blooded Asian Indian parentage

Nikki Haley (South Carolina) and Bobby Jindal (Louisiana) - both Republicans
Those facts are for you people who still think the South is backwards.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

Interesting that the Eastern Seaboard from Maine to Virginia is all blue, while the near entirety of California is red except for the Inland Empire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.