U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 11:14 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,375,913 times

Advertisements

The Delta Region of the Mississipi is New Orleans area isnt it. I believe the first port of entry for Italians was New Orleans even before Ellis Island. I also believe it to be the location of the first run-in with the local law enforcement by the Italian Mafia. . . . . New Orleans crime family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . . . . David Hennessy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 12:52 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,624,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The Delta Region of the Mississipi is New Orleans area isnt it. I believe the first port of entry for Italians was New Orleans even before Ellis Island.
Didn't know that, but am not surprised either. That must have made for a much longer boat ride around Florida.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:00 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,901,001 times
Central Missouri has had some Italian Immigrants & some wineries run by descendants of Italians. Rosati, Missouri is an example of one of the communities they formed. Definitely an anomoly since this part of Missouri is quite rural.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:12 PM

1,538 posts, read 5,281,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is a decent size Italian community in Omaha, Nebraska. Marlon Brando is from there.
i believe that marlon brando was not of italian descent - the name brando was derived from "brandau" and is of german origins. but due to some of the roles brando played, most notably don corleone in the godfather, it's commonly assumed that he was italian. having a surname ending in a vowel probably added to that perception.

the other info you provided is spot-on, though, and quite interesting.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:32 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,516,121 times
I've dated two guys of full (or almost full) Italian descent. I wouldn't really consider Orange County or LA to be known for it's Italian population, but there seems to be plenty scattered around.
I also have an aunt who's half Italian and all her family lives in East Texas.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:23 PM

469 posts, read 602,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The Delta Region of the Mississipi is New Orleans area isnt it. I believe the first port of entry for Italians was New Orleans even before Ellis Island. I also believe it to be the location of the first run-in with the local law enforcement by the Italian Mafia. . . . . New Orleans crime family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . . . . David Hennessy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What is called the "Delta" in Mississippi and Arkansas is actually the alluvial plain that lines the Mississippi River as it passes between those two states.

Mississippi Delta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it was called the "Delta" because it was roughly shaped like a triangle. It isn't a "Delta" as in the place where a river flows into a sea, like the Louisiana Delta south of New Orleans. A lot of Italian Americans migrated into New Orleans as early as the 1880s. Most were of Sicilian descent. Some others migrated up the Mississippi River and settled in communities along the way, including the Mississippi Delta, but the largest group of Italians in the Mississippi Delta migrated from Ancona Province northeast of Rome. It all started with a colony of Italians at Sunnyside Plantation in Arkansas, across the Mississippi River from Greenville, Mississippi.

Sunnyside Plantation - Encyclopedia of Arkansas (http://tinyurl.com/7bzb2eb - broken link)

I hope this helps. Thank you for all the information the rest of you provided. God bless.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Central Missouri has had some Italian Immigrants & some wineries run by descendants of Italians. Rosati, Missouri is an example of one of the communities they formed. Definitely an anomoly since this part of Missouri is quite rural.
The Rosati community evolved from Sunnyside Plantation in the Arkansas Delta:

Sunnyside Plantation - Encyclopedia of Arkansas (http://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=4455 - broken link)

God bless.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Tontitown, Arkansas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is an Arkansas community settled by Italians.
Tontitown was a "spinoff" of the Italian settlement at Sunnyside Plantation in the Arkansas Delta:

Sunnyside Plantation - Encyclopedia of Arkansas (http://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=4455 - broken link)

God bless.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:41 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,624,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
I hope this helps. Thank you for all the information the rest of you provided. God bless.
Chris, you know what's really interesting...the "recent" phenomenon of kids going around and boasting "I'm Italian" when they have no clue nor an interest in the language, the culture and their lineage. Credit that to the changing perception of Italians, who we know were discriminated against at one time and led very hard lives in "the promised land," to Tony Danza on "Who's the Boss?" making it cool, alongside a few others in the media.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:47 PM

485 posts, read 660,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Didn't know that, but am not surprised either. That must have made for a much longer boat ride around Florida.

New Orleans was the most important city in the south in the mid 1800's so it was a natural destination point. Nothing was going on in Florida at that time to warrant it as a major point of entry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or