U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 04:49 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,904,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
The Rosati community evolved from Sunnyside Plantation in the Arkansas Delta:

Sunnyside Plantation - Encyclopedia of Arkansas (http://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=4455 - broken link)

God bless.
Wow did not know that. Thanks for the link! Pretty interesting stuff.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 05:37 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,650,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
New Orleans was the most important city in the south in the mid 1800's so it was a natural destination point. Nothing was going on in Florida at that time to warrant it as a major point of entry.
No, I meant that if they had to use N.O. as a PORT of entry, meaning arriving by ship, they had to sail around Florida because there's no "Panama Canal" from Jacksonville to the Gulf.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:40 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,063,505 times
(never mind)

Old 03-26-2012, 12:46 AM

2,650 posts, read 5,165,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
It always bugs me when people say that you can't find good Italian food outside of urban areas. Come to Hibbing or Chisholm or Virginia, Minnesota for REAL Italian food!
I'm not disputing your assertion, but there's a difference between authentic (real) & good. It can be authentic & underwhelming at the same time.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I'm not disputing your assertion, but there's a difference between authentic (real) & good. It can be authentic & underwhelming at the same time.
Here's how you tell if you're in an underwhelming Italian restaurant, even if it's owned and operated by Italians. Everything, be it lasagna or chicken cacciatore, comes in an oval casserole dish that has this thick baked-on crust of mozzarella cheese so you can't tell what's underneath. Then, you notice the chef working in the kitchen and he is Hispanic.

An authentic, and good, Italian restaurant would never go for that kind of food presentation.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:59 AM

9,783 posts, read 13,374,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Chris, you know what's really interesting...the "recent" phenomenon of kids going around and boasting "I'm Italian" when they have no clue nor an interest in the language, the culture and their lineage. Credit that to the changing perception of Italians, who we know were discriminated against at one time and led very hard lives in "the promised land," to Tony Danza on "Who's the Boss?" making it cool, alongside a few others in the media.
When I was in high school in the late 90's/early 00's in Boston, tons of kids would brag about their Italian heritage. Dudes wore "Italian Stallion" t-shirts, there were early adopters of Kappa "ITALIA" tracksuit tops... the irony being that maybe 1 out of 10 knew any Italian. I took Italian for two years despite not having a drop in me and could talk with friends' grandparents

I think it's good that kids are reclaiming a formerly subjugated ancestral history and turning it into something cool, since it's such a rich and fascinating culture that has such a huge impact on fashion, high culture, design, and dining... however, like everything else, I think that people run a certain risk of mistaking a cultural or national achievement as a personal one and looking like a doofus.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I think it's good that kids are reclaiming a formerly subjugated ancestral history and turning it into something cool, since it's such a rich and fascinating culture that has such a huge impact on fashion, high culture, design, and dining... however, like everything else, I think that people run a certain risk of mistaking a cultural or national achievement as a personal one and looking like a doofus.
Thanks for this post. Great to see that Italian is offered in the schools.

For me it was never a subjugated history, since my parents came over when discrimination was gone and long-forgotten. The discrimination ran through WW2 and the 50s, at a minimum. So, for me, Italy always was about the pinnacle of cultural achievement. And, having had the opportunity to move there with my parents for a short while, it was like living in a museum, as well as a scenically beautiful place. I was intensely proud of my heritage growing up. I go over there as often as I can.

I will add that these kids who look like buffoons are probably 2nd or 3rd generation and this HAD to be in the Northeast. You don't see that on the West Coast. I can also tell you that a newly arrived Italian immigrant, a 1st generation (me), and a 2nd generation generally don't have that much in common. The newly Italian immigrants are either in tech or open trendy restaurants, and they're too European for us Americans. The 1st generation people are Americanized but still have a grip on the language and the culture. Most of us do really well with other first generation kids of our own and other nationalities...we hung out with other kids whose parents had come from Cuba, Ireland, Argentina, France and Germany...and had a blast imitating each others' parents' accents....all in good fun, of course. Parents are entertaining, no? Some of us also even looked fairly American. (I look more like I belong in Dublin than I do in Rome, since people assume I'm "dark" Irish). Lastly, the 2nd generation people are aware of their background, but usually don't invest in knowing about the language or the culture, unless they make a concerted effort to do so.

The Italians suffered a bad rap because of the wars, the poverty that some escaped from, and that fact that some, NOT all, have the jet black hair, olive skin, and dark eyes (think Al Pacino) that would make them identifiable as the latest, and darkest, arrivals to an otherwise WASPy America. The culture and history of the European side of the Mediterranean is one of my favorite topics.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-26-2012 at 12:27 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 01:01 PM

8,117 posts, read 17,342,964 times
Has anyonem mentioned "The Hill" section of St. Louis in this thread? Very prominent neighborhood in the city, home of Joe Garigiola and Yogi Berra.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Has anyonem mentioned "The Hill" section of St. Louis in this thread? Very prominent neighborhood in the city, home of Joe Garigiola and Yogi Berra.
Throw STL's "The Hill" into the mix. Probably more so than Omaha or Kansas City. I've been there, after visiting the Arch, and you had to drive past the Science Center, past Barnes Medical Center, and up some boulevard called Kingsway, or something like that. Ate at a good well-known Italian restaurant (good ravioli) that had this big God-forsaken industrial complex across the street...a plant, a distribution center, whatever. This obviously Italian chick, reasonably attractive and with a wedding band, kept looking my way.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:40 AM

469 posts, read 603,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Here's how you tell if you're in an underwhelming Italian restaurant, even if it's owned and operated by Italians. Everything, be it lasagna or chicken cacciatore, comes in an oval casserole dish that has this thick baked-on crust of mozzarella cheese so you can't tell what's underneath. Then, you notice the chef working in the kitchen and he is Hispanic.

An authentic, and good, Italian restaurant would never go for that kind of food presentation.
Many restaurants have Hispanic cooks, regardless of the cuisine served.
You don't have to be Italian to cook Italian food well. You just have to have good recipes and follow them!

I agree with you about the mozzarella-heavy food being a problem. I think the cheese-and-meat-heavy foods stereotyped as being Italian are the products of an immigrant community using its newfound wealth to create a richer, heavier cuisine different from the meager styles they left behind. As for my ancestors, they didn't prepare their food that way. More often, they ate polenta. Nor did they eat meat every day. And the cheese they preferred was a grating cheese. Grandpa Balducci, and many other Italian men living in the Delta, did make like their wine though, made with grapes brought by train from California! God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or