U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:30 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times

Advertisements

As I started thinking of things, I realized that my top several dozen were transient things that noone could ever see again, and were more intense than all the Grand Canyons and Pyramids in the world.

Things like an old man riding down the road riding an elephant in a pouring monsoon rain in India. Having tea with two truck drivers after dark in the trackless desert between Jordan and Saudi Arabia... Sitting in the open doorway of a train car in the middle of the night, passing through complete darkness in Mali. Walking on crumbly sand in the Atacama desert that has never in recorded history ever felt a drop of rain. A Resplendant Quetzal in Guatemala taking off from a tree overhead. An iceberg in bright sunlight. A thunderstorm in the distance in Mexico, or driving toward a sunset near Albuquerque that radio announcers were telling people go to out and look at. Mickey Mantle, the most perfectly graceful human being I've ever seen, playing center field. The snowy mountains of southern Chile on one of those days when the air is so perfectly clear, they are magnified and seem to be only blocks away, instead of over 100 miles. A crouching leopard ten paces away, watching a group of gazelles in Tanzania. Driving 80 miles in new winter snow with a full moon and my headlights off east of Bangor Maine. Talented people that I've heard singing beautifully, for their own amusement, in Guatemala, Ecuador and Paraguay. Women chattering in the marketplaces in Mali in their beautiful language.

Don't go there to try to see them, they won't be there. You don't travel looking for such sights, but waiting for them to find you.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-24-2012 at 09:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 09:33 PM

56,560 posts, read 80,847,919 times
A sunset over Lake Ontario. When I was going to college in Oswego, I just couldn't believe how beautiful the sunsets were.

One of the Greatest Sunsets on Earth - Oswego, NY - YouTube

oswego sunset 1 - YouTube

Old 03-24-2012, 10:39 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,951,565 times
Here are a couple of pictures I took of Lake Tahoe at sunset in 2004:

Brutally beautiful.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:31 AM

4,800 posts, read 10,574,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Big Sur.
Ditto. Also Yosemite. The photos are amazing and still don't do it justice.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:18 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,053,426 times
There was a day in the spring of 1998 when a massive thunderstorm complex triggered simultaneous tornado warnings and funnel clouds in every county from the Twin Cities to Des Moines. I was sitting on a bluff on the northern edge of the storm. The sky was something that I had never seen before or since, even in other severe weather events. It was like a giant, complicated, highly organized machine made up of tiny puff balls (mammatus clouds) and striped clouds. I have seen plenty of mammatus clouds before but this was so over top it was unbelieveabe, it went from horizen to horizen. The colors were all wrong and the light had a weird quality. It stayed like that the entire afternoon. It was the most surreal thing I have ever seen in my life.

I have seen other forms of natural beauty like mountains, coastlines and forests but nothing else was as spectacular as what I saw that day.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 03-25-2012 at 02:35 AM..

Old 03-25-2012, 06:35 AM

2,601 posts, read 4,070,388 times
People never seem to give the Dakotas any credit for anything, but the Badlands are pretty amazing.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:45 AM

9,423 posts, read 18,320,690 times
Kenai Peninsula in Alaska.....
Driving the Seward Highway from Anchorage to Seward, Alaska along the fjords, tidal flats and seeing the snow capped peaks, driving over the mountain passes and gazing over the mountain meadows in mid summer amongst the mountain peaks. Ending up in Homer, Alaska. In summer watching the sun go down over the mountain ringed bay around midnight from the Homer Spit and experiencing the twilight througout the night before the early dawn. Going deep sea fishing in the early morning while watching whales in the bay flaunt their flukes and volcanic peaks steaming in the distance. This part of Alaska was a divine place to visit, especially around the summer solstice, I had many pinch me I'm dreaming moments up there.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:58 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
The Blue Ridge Mountains of NC and VA.

[[/IMG]

Old 03-25-2012, 07:15 AM

9,423 posts, read 18,320,690 times
White Sands, New Mexico

It has an austere yet magnificent beauty. Several thousand acres of powdery gypsum white sand dunes in a valley surrounded by russet colored mountains. I took these photos around sunrise. The colors and eerie quiet and calm of the place made it a spiritual experience for me.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:35 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
There's one that I forgot above, that stands out maybe over all the others. We were hitchhiking across the Paraguayan Chaco, a scrubby inhospitable landscape where the tops of the trees are only about 15 feet high. We got a lift just before sundown on a truck loaded high with charcoal, and we sat on top, with a view out over the forest canopy, watching millions of parrots and egrets circling in to roost for the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or