U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-26-2012, 09:08 AM

6,628 posts, read 5,855,639 times

Advertisements

The only place I've ever been to that I can truly call "intensely beautiful" would be the Garden of the Gods in Colorado. I forget what city it's in (maybe Colorado Springs?), but man was that beautiful. The natural rocks combined with the native American heritage that is still prevalent throughout the area made the place a beauty in my eyes.

I have gone overseas as well to Europe and the countryside of Switzerland can be very nice as it is truly traditional, but I would not call it intensely beautiful.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 10:04 AM

1,222 posts, read 1,049,507 times
A few of my favorites:

The view of the New Orleans city lights sparkling welcoming you home as you top the I-10 Highrise Bridge coming from the East after a long drive.

Watching weather patterns on the water from a mountain top on St. John, USVI

The incredible colors of the barrier coral reef and fish off of Ambergris Caye, Belize

The sheer size of the New York City skyline

The blues and greens of Biscayne Bay in Miami

The yellows and reds of the tulip fields in the Netherlands

Watching the water meet rock at Big Sur while driving along the Pacific Coast Highway

The majesty of Yosemite Valley

The intricate colors and shapes of the hoodoos of Bryce Canyon

Old 03-26-2012, 10:53 AM

398 posts, read 332,415 times
Go down through the islands and inlets off the gulf coast or the florida keys, sometime and you might change your mind. Especially if you can just cruise all day out there in a pontoon boat or something and bank up to a small island. The pure white sand with the emerald greens and turquoise is very nice, other places have this as well like around cozumel. Florida is also lined with islands and capes, not just a "coast" that is what creates the shallow waters and coral reefs necessary for that effect. The CA Coast is beautiful as well, driving up the pch. CA and FL coasts are my 2 favorite places to be in the U.S. I think after pondering for awhile and with being able to bounce ideas off this forum there isn't any other place I want to live in the States. Though I'm sure I'd enjoy a winter shack near the beach in Costa Rica or something. And I still want to visit the great cities from time to time...but I don't really need to live there.

The mountains are great also, I've been to most of the places people are naming as far as national parks go. And yes they might be more impressive formations or dominate the sky, but they don't put me in a different mood. I think it is the whole beauty, plus putting my feet in the sand, the sound of the ocean, the breeze... It is a complete package.

Last edited by Lizz0rd; 03-26-2012 at 11:07 AM..

Old 03-26-2012, 01:01 PM

3,737 posts, read 3,325,893 times
Been to La Push before, and the WA coast in general countless times. Nice as the sunsets are there, I still say Seattle has better.

Those pics from New Mexico are gorgeous!

Old 03-26-2012, 02:33 PM

7,646 posts, read 11,525,246 times
Every time I read a thread like this one, intently, it reaffirms the notion that I have a lot to see in this country. A lot, lots I have seen, lots I would like to see again, given more time, lots I yearn to see. And it's all over, too, isn't it? Places, as Jtur88 says, you aren't even looking to find it, it comes to you.

Even in a place, someone might think, as nondescript as the Illinois side of the Mississippi River, south of East St. Louis. Made this drive last November with no expectations, and it wound up being absolutely brilliant. Wonderful. This from an ex-New Mexico resident.

The scenery is everywhere, just waiting to be discovered.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:32 PM

5,523 posts, read 4,472,418 times
NC Blue Ridge is stunning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The Blue Ridge Mountains of NC and VA.

[[/IMG]

Old 03-26-2012, 07:19 PM

14,755 posts, read 15,367,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
Go down through the islands and inlets off the gulf coast or the florida keys, sometime and you might change your mind. Especially if you can just cruise all day out there in a pontoon boat or something and bank up to a small island. The pure white sand with the emerald greens and turquoise is very nice. Florida is also lined with islands and capes, not just a "coast" that is what creates the shallow waters and coral reefs necessary for that effect.
The combination of emerald green water and pure white sand beach is beyond description. The first time I found the Panhandle, I was driving myself from MIA to LA, on I-10, and needed a place to sleep, so I pulled off in Pensacola rather than wait to Mobile AL. The lady at the hotel told me to check out the beach before continuing my westward trek. I was glad I did. I've gone back numerous times, and when I lived in Atlanta, I would go as often as I could. I would ask myself "is there a way I could live here and support myself?" Not only that, Pensacola/Gulf Breeze/Navarre and the surrounding towns are nice communities.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:39 AM

2,758 posts, read 2,393,278 times
Right here. Nearly every day I see something (usually many somethings) that just make me stop and stare. I've been to every part of the central road system in Alaska (though not outside of it yet), and I love the area around McCarthy and the Alaska Range. Parts of Denali are absolutely amazing, and the Summit Lake area on the Richardson Highway is beyond words. But this little bay I live in, and the mountain pass just up the road, is the most awesomely beautiful place I've ever been. I think it's even more beautiful now than I did when I first moved here. Just walking the dogs down to the harbor or driving to work knocks my socks off.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:43 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,285,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Right here. Nearly every day I see something (usually many somethings) that just make me stop and stare. I've been to every part of the central road system in Alaska (though not outside of it yet), and I love the area around McCarthy and the Alaska Range. Parts of Denali are absolutely amazing, and the Summit Lake area on the Richardson Highway is beyond words. But this little bay I live in, and the mountain pass just up the road, is the most awesomely beautiful place I've ever been. I think it's even more beautiful now than I did when I first moved here. Just walking the dogs down to the harbor or driving to work knocks my socks off.
YES. I just did a google image search of Valdez and that is intensely beautiful. I just can't wrap my head around thinking any sandy beach can compare to that....I don't care how green the water is or how white the sand is.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:35 AM

1,467 posts, read 1,741,342 times
Yosemite. Been going there since I was ten years old and I'm still dumbfounding when I roll into the valley. I can't believe such a Shangri-la type place like it even exists. And the valley is only one small part - the three groves of Giant Sequoia trees, the high country and Tuolumne Meadows. Amazing, awe inspiring place. I've traveled the US and the world a fair bit and its in a class by itself.

Yosemite Falls, Spring 2010 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.