U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 12:10 PM

18,641 posts, read 27,078,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
You are WAY off the beam on this OKC - Dallas thing you are spouting.
Definitely. Dallas my demographics, politics, socially, are not similar at all. Fort Worth, however, is more similar. The only thing Dallas and OKC has in common is the topography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 05:05 PM

1,553 posts, read 718,877 times
People are naming Philly and Chicago as mistakable for each other, but I don't think they actually feel that similar, considering their populations and population densities aren't far apart. Philly feels to me like Baltimore or DC - older, lots of rowhouses, narrow streets, frequently building right up to the curb. Chicago is more like Milwaukee or the nicer parts of Detroit, maybe Cleveland.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:30 PM

6,066 posts, read 3,393,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRaRyan View Post
Obviously it could be mistaken for Ft Worth...they are in the same metro that all bleeds together. Dallas is very much like a massive version of OKC. Many of the same look and feel just in a larger metro and bigger city. They are similar in almost every way, this is why there is such a deep disdain between OK and TX. Nobody wants to admit to being like the other.
Agree. North Texas is similar to Oklahoma in so many ways in general. Same scenery, small towns all feel the same, same climate, same twang pretty much. Biggest difference is North Texas has more Mexicans and Oklahoma has more American Indians.

Also Dallas is not like Houston. I wouldn't even WANT to compare Dallas to Houston. I like Dallas, and Houston is kinda trashy and has worse air. Also Houston's got that deep south scenery and Dallas is the plains.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:52 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
NYC- no comparison, but maybe parts of Chicago or Toronto even though they don't come close
Philadelphia- a little bit of Boston, a bit of Baltimore
Miami- Fort Lauderdale
Denver - Calgary and a bit of Kansas City
Phoenix- LA/Inland Empire
Atlanta-Charlotte
Dallas- OKC
Houston- can't think of another large bayou city to be honest, it doesn't look like New Orleans
Chicago- Milwaukee
Seattle- Portland or Vancouver
San Francisco- nowhere, no place looks or feels like San Francisco
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
NYC - Too Unique
Philadelphia - Parts of Baltimore and Boston (Philly is pretty unique)
Miami - Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville
Denver - Salt Lake City
Phoenix - Albuquerque
Atlanta - Charlotte
Dallas - Houston
Houston - Dallas
Chicago - NYC
Seattle - Portland
San Francisco - Too Unique
No. Salt Lake is drier, and it's dominated by the LDS church even though, yes, I know, the city is about 40% non-LDS. LDS population in Denver is 1.8%.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
I ono.... just guessing here:

NYC-itself
Philadelphia-itself
Miami-maybe another city in Florida, or perhaps Hawaii...
Denver-Utah, maybe...
Phoenix-itself perhaps, or maybe Palm Springs, CA???
Atlanta-itself
Dallas-Houston
Houston-Dallas, Los Angeles
Chicago-New York...depending on the shot
Seattle- Portland?
San Francisco-itself.....
No. See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Similar to each other, more or less.

NYC
Philadelphia
Chicago

Denver
Atlanta
Seattle

Miami
Phoenix
Houston
Dallas

San Francisco doesn't match any of these.
Denver is landlocked and dry. Has a dry, 4 season climate with lots of sun. Seattle is on Puget Sound and green, has two seasons, sort of and drippy, dreary. Atlanta is in a forested area, very green. Also in the US south and has a humid sub-tropical climate short, mild winters and long, hot summers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climat...ia_(U.S._state)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
NYC: Nothing, although it has decent commonality with Philly and a bit with Chicago
Philly: Mix of Baltimore, Boston, and a little Chicago
Chicago: Philly is closest in the U.S. (mix of Philly and Toronto is probably better)

Miami: Aesthetics, other cities in Florida. In terms of other aspects, nowhere
Denver: Mix of KC and SLC
Phoenix: Nowhere else, but a much smaller Los Angeles is kind of reasonable; I'd argue sort of Las Vegas too (away from the Strip)
Houston: Dallas
Dallas: Nowhere else,but Houston is probably closest (feel is fairly different IMO)
Atlanta: Mix of Charlotte and Los Angeles
Seattle: Portland more than Vancouver
San Francisco: Nowhere else; it's its own thing for better or worse
Forget SLC.

Last edited by Yac; 05-22-2018 at 05:54 AM..

Old 05-10-2018, 08:55 PM

3,228 posts, read 1,560,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
NYC: Nothing, although it has decent commonality with Philly and a bit with Chicago
Philly: Mix of Baltimore, Boston, and a little Chicago
Chicago: Philly is closest in the U.S. (mix of Philly and Toronto is probably better)

Miami: Aesthetics, other cities in Florida. In terms of other aspects, nowhere
Denver: Mix of KC and SLC
Phoenix: Nowhere else, but a much smaller Los Angeles is kind of reasonable; I'd argue sort of Las Vegas too (away from the Strip)
Houston: Dallas
Dallas: Nowhere else,but Houston is probably closest (feel is fairly different IMO)
Atlanta: Mix of Charlotte and Los Angeles
Seattle: Portland more than Vancouver
San Francisco: Nowhere else; it's its own thing for better or worse
I've seen other compare similarities Between Philly and Chicago? I personally do not see it. I mean:
- Philly is 60% fully blocks of a wall row-homes .... and Chicago is 60% not.
- Both cities follow a grid and older mass transit lines
- Chicago has standard set-backs of frontage in neighborhoods off main streets. Philly did not.
- Chicago is more a high-rise living city in amount and older Apartment buildings were more common. Recently Philly is getting more high-rises built and Chicago still adding to its numbers.
Chicago has full alleyways as standard in 90% of the city. Philly has its oldest core areas with alleys.... but many areas do not, or its some portions do and others do not, but some neighborhood blocks and many oldest streets are alley-sized themselves vs Chicago's.

Just housing in general is not similar. Why Philadelphians link themselves to more NYC Borough-like outside of Manhattan of course. Old Toronto has row-housing stock.... so there some similarities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or