U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:07 AM

3 posts, read 5,590 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am Canadian and I am thinking of applying to Parsons School of Design and Rhode Island School of Design. I like both schools but I am curious about the location.

I am more happy when the environment is more green... like lots of gardens, trees, antique architecture with historic ornamentation, or modern buildings that look more upperclass. (I may sound superficial but when I see this I feel more safe!). I know that when I will be studying, I might end up working in school until 2 or 3am in the morning sometimes... And I feel worried about traveling that late in a place that's new to me.

I've visited RISD once and the area looked beautiful. I didn't visit the fashion district (7th Avenue) in New York though, therefore I am a little worried in submitting my application beforehand. I did my google search for images regarding the surrounding streets but I'm not getting much. It looks more urban/industrial and less grassy - is this right?

I would really appreciate it if I could have your opinion in where and why you would prefer to stay (regarding location)... It would help me a lot to understand the place.

Thank you so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 09:26 AM

7,136 posts, read 9,907,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmeral View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am Canadian and I am thinking of applying to Parsons School of Design and Rhode Island School of Design. I like both schools but I am curious about the location.

I am more happy when the environment is more green... like lots of gardens, trees, antique architecture with historic ornamentation, or modern buildings that look more upperclass.
Quote:
(I may sound superficial but when I see this I feel more safe!). I know that when I will be studying, I might end up working in school until 2 or 3am in the morning sometimes... And I feel worried about traveling that late in a place that's new to me.

I've visited RISD once and the area looked beautiful. I didn't visit the fashion district (7th Avenue) in New York though, therefore I am a little worried in submitting my application beforehand. I did my google search for images regarding the surrounding streets but I'm not getting much. It looks more urban/industrial and less grassy - is this right?

I would really appreciate it if I could have your opinion in where and why you would prefer to stay (regarding location)... It would help me a lot to understand the place.

Thank you so much!!!
Far less grassy! The Fashion aka Garment District is the exact opposite of being green! Your in the middle of Midtown Manhattan more or less. That being said, NYC has a good park system and there are tons of good architecture in the city.

I do not know these schools so I cannot compare them. I suggest you visit the Manhattan one so you can compare it more equally to the Rhode Island one.

Whichever school you pick, I wish you good luck!

Old 03-25-2012, 09:27 AM

9,432 posts, read 18,331,107 times
If you area drawn to NYC, you can get there easily from Providence. Take the Amtrak Acela train and you'll be in Midtown Manhattan in less than 3 hours.

Quote:
I like lots of gardens, trees, antique architecture with historic ornamentation, or modern buildings that look more upperclass.!!!
Newport, RI would be right up your alley! Providence also has plenty of that going for it as well, particularly around the Brown University campus and the hill on the eastside of downtown.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:35 AM

3 posts, read 5,590 times
Thank you LINative and caphillsea77!

This is a subjective question, but I am just wondering. Are people from NYC friendly? Or are they more business-oriented?

Old 03-25-2012, 09:41 AM

7,136 posts, read 9,907,336 times
Quote:
Thank you LINative and caphillsea77!

This is a subjective question, but I am just wondering. Are people from NYC friendly? Or are they more business-oriented?
If you are familar with the "rude" sterotype of New Yorkers, than you will actually find New Yorkers suprisingly more friendly than you expect. Especially in the outer boroughs, away from the crowds in Manhattan.

On the other hand, if you are expecting New Yokers to be like those in a friendly small town, than you will be disappointed. This is by far the biggest city in the USA or Canada. And every day they are bombarded with suburban commuters and thousands of tourists.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:47 AM

8,006 posts, read 16,061,917 times
RISD and the East Side of Providence fit your description perfectly. Leafy tree-lined streets, historic architecture, and a real collegiate feel. RISD is an excellent school. It has a quaint, New England charm.

New York is New York. It's the king of American cities. Parsons (the school for Fashion) is on 7th Ave just south of Times Square. There's nothing quaint about the area. However, Manhattan is chalk full of outstanding architecture from Gothic to Deco to ultra modern. It's also one of the safest cities you'll find.

I really don't know how the schools stand up against each other (other than they're both great). That should be the first thing that factors into your decision. If it's a wash, then you pick your experience. Providence will offer you a New England college city vibe in a pretty, historic neighborhood. New York will offer you the New York experience.

I would imagine you'll find more opportunity for work in Manhattan. My ex studied Fashion at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. She had to make a number of trips to NYC for shows and events (all of which were a lot of fun). It's easier to get from PVD-NYC (train, bus- for under $20 round trip, and air) than it is from SF-NYC, but you'll certainly be going there from time to time if you're studying fashion.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:58 AM

32,079 posts, read 32,980,395 times
To get more answers you might want to post your question in the NYC as well as the Rhode Island forums.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:04 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,110,853 times
If ability to be hired means anything to you (and I'm sure it does) you'll get much more value for your dollar from RISD. It's an elite design school, in a way that Parson's isn't (that's not to suggest there's anything wrong with Parson's - it just doesn't have the same reputation as RISD). In response to your other questions, other posters are absolutely correct - and it's not even a matter of degree. Parson's is in a "concrete jungle;" RISD is in an absolutely beautiful part of Providence. If extra-curricular urban activities don't matter to you, then RISD is the hands down winner.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 PM

4,458 posts, read 7,523,622 times
Both schools are top-notch for design, and you shouldn't have to worry about safety in either place. However, as others have noted, Providence and New York City are two pretty different places. Providence is a very nice small city with some cool neighborhoods -- actually reminiscent of a miniature Boston. Although it really goes without saying, it's a MUCH more manageable city, and you'd definitely have more access to green space there.

You might want to consider whether you're okay with being one person among millions of people or one person among about 180,000 people. The former can make some people pretty overwhelmed.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:45 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,110,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Both schools are top-notch for design ...
Not that I place too much importance in ranking lists ... but this should tell the OP something - just in a relative sense - about the status of both schools in the design world.

Best Fine Arts Programs | Top Fine Arts Schools | US News Graduate Schools

Cheers! And best of luck to the OP in his/her search! I'm sure you'll do fine at either place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.