U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:02 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,657,752 times

Advertisements

Kanab Utah

Easy drive to Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Grand Staircase Escalante, Grand Canyon parks

Beautiful scenery in town and perfect weather

Culture of animal love (best friends sanctuary is there)

Small isolated town

Yep, that is paradise for me.... few people, many places to hike and rockclimb, perfect weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 06:06 PM

6,579 posts, read 8,116,683 times
I live in Plano, Tx after moving here from Houston recently. I am retired after 38 years and considered moving to a number of places both US and outside the US. I am happy where I am and could be happy in Houston (west side - energy corridor) as well other than family. I am able to go see family in a day trip from here. Tx all the way for many reasons.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:43 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,037,741 times
Socal or South Florida.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:00 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,841,390 times
My career has brought me to many places, but I would say Eugene, Oregon would be closest to heaven. I like rain, and Eugene has plenty of it, but is warmer than Portland and my native Seattle.
I like green. Eugene is green. It feels like it is in a mountain valley. Because it is. The Cascades to the east, the Coast range to west, and about 90 minutes away from the beautiful Oregon Coast. Oh, and less than two hours to the bigger city of Portland.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:04 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,841,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Olympic National Park. That is absolutely my favorite place in the US.

As far as places I'd live, New York is my personal heaven right now. I think further down the road, maybe 10 years from now when I'm raising children, I think someplace a bit smaller, less fast-paced, yet still exciting (I'm thinking Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, or Seattle) would be heaven for me.
Olympic National Park in Western Washington is largely an unknown jewel. The rain forests are amazing. Plus the Washington coast near the park is quite rugged and beautiful and because much of it is on Native American land, it has been preserved without much development. (Avoid Ocean Shores, though).

Old 03-29-2012, 08:00 PM

167 posts, read 280,051 times
Boston and New England

Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 PM

4,112 posts, read 3,825,774 times
Boston, San Francisco, and New York.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:53 PM

985 posts, read 1,088,306 times
southern FL

Old 04-01-2012, 06:32 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,746,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yes.

You think of being in isolated booines as being heaven??
Yeah, but of course there's only so "isolated" that I'd want to be. For example, there's "living 4 miles outside of a town of 2,000" and there's "living 17 miles from the next nearest hint of organized civilization, along twisty-turny roads devoid of guard rails in the mountains where it snows a lot during winter" (Ashwood, Oregon, that's a shout-out to you!). I wouldn't want to be THAT isolated. But I would want to be somewhere where light pollution doesn't wash out the stars, where you can stand outside and hear crickets or a soft breeze rather than vehicles on the highway or the relentless blaring of sirens at all hours of the night... etc.

Quote:
I live in a pretty nice place, surrounded by palm trees, that's about five miles from gorgeous beaches, and one mile from largely unmolested hills that overlook the LA basin. I walk out my front door, make a right, make another right, walk three blocks, and am on one of the most famous streets in the US, where I can see absolutely gorgeous women from all over the world walking around wearing summer clothes in January.
Yeah, but that last one wouldn't carry any weight with me. I'm already married to the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.

Quote:
I can find nearly every cuisine in the world withing a radius if a couple miles. I can find nearly every type of shopping one cares to imagin in about the same. I can do everything from going to a poetry reading and eating Asian fusion that crushes what you can find in most major American or international cities, to hiking in solitude through a high desert mountain in about the same distance, time, and effort.

So yes: it is absolutely possible. It's quite easy and effortless, IMHO.
Yeah, but if you really do live in Beverly Hills, as your header shows, that "heaven" of yours is awfully expensive. I don't see much point in working your butt off just to be able to afford living in a certain nice place... when there are plenty of much cheaper nice places out there such that you don't have to burn as much of your irreplaceable "life time" just to earn entrance into them. Oh well, to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
I'm going to go with Cassadaga, NY.
Great fishing so close (Chautauqua Lake, Lake Erie, Upper & Lower Cassadaga Lakes, Bear Lake)
Beautiful mild summers
trees everywhere
skiing nearby and snowmobile trails right there
Low cost of living.
Quiet country living in the beautiful Southern Tier of Western New York.
The snow can be a killer though, can't it?

I wonder how bad the politics and taxes are in the southern tier of NY State. It would seem that, when more than half of the population of New York State lives in New York City, the political climate of the state is sort of like "NYC, and then some little people". If that weren't an issue, I've been to southern NY State and it sure was pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 View Post
I don't like this use of the term "heaven" because a) I don't consider anywhere perfect [yet] and b) I haven't explored everywhere that interests me, so I can't say whether other places might not be better.

That said, the phrase "a place you have been to, which you know decently well, where you'd love to live" describes Anchorage, AK for me. Lived there for ten years, and I miss a lot of things about it.

I haven't actually lived anywhere else that would fit, but I have been to parts of suburban Seattle and rural northern Minnesota that would qualify.
So what makes Anchorage "not heaven"? Obviously there was something about it that made it fall somewhat short.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:55 PM

378 posts, read 603,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
So what makes Anchorage "not heaven"? Obviously there was something about it that made it fall somewhat short.
Oh, there's plenty of little things. I'd rather live somewhere with less rain, lower crime, greater access to agricultural resources, less wildlife, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or