U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:20 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,446,696 times

Advertisements

I don't know about heaven, but I'm living in the Black Hills and I LOVE it. The weather suits me, it's not crowded and the scenery is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 09:18 AM

398 posts, read 621,910 times
The FL Keys.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:37 AM

21,193 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Saugatuck, Michigan

An idyllic small town with an artistic vibe, no chain restaurants/stores, friendly people and an unhurried way of life on the shores of Lake Michigan around 2.5 hours from Chicago.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:22 AM

8,006 posts, read 16,061,917 times
Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur.

It's the perfect marriage of nature and civilization. It has great downtowns, gorgeous coastline and mountains all together. The climate is simply perfect (not humid, not too hot, not too cold).

Old 04-02-2012, 12:34 PM

719 posts, read 1,311,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post

The snow can be a killer though, can't it?

I wonder how bad the politics and taxes are in the southern tier of NY State. It would seem that, when more than half of the population of New York State lives in New York City, the political climate of the state is sort of like "NYC, and then some little people". If that weren't an issue, I've been to southern NY State and it sure was pretty.
Romani,
I like all 4 seasons of WNY, including the winter and snow.
It's very affordable to live in WNY.
Property tax RATE is high, but houses are cheap. Overall cost of living is slightly below nat'l avg.
Yes, it is a very beautiful area and most people that live there do not identify with NYC at all.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:51 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,019,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur.

It's the perfect marriage of nature and civilization. It has great downtowns, gorgeous coastline and mountains all together. The climate is simply perfect (not humid, not too hot, not too cold).
Definitely a good choice. I lived in that area for years and its one of the nicest in the US (for all the reasons you state).

Old 04-02-2012, 02:22 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,200,549 times
I don't know, but I can say it definitely isn't Hell, Michigan.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:03 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,740,924 times
It's funny... I used to live in an area that had 4 seasons, with a long, cold, snowy winter... and after one winter, I couldn't wait to get out. (This, despite how I was born and raised in the Northeast... which usually has cold, snowy winters.) So I moved south, to an area that still has four seasons (almost summer, summer, still summer, and "at least we're not freezing")... and have come to realize that while my brain and my wallet prefer warmer climates, my skin doesn't... so for my own health, I may eventually have to go up where it's colder on average.

"Heaven" to me would be a place where the people are almost universally friendly, there's no crime (or at least, nothing with "random victims" such as burglary), houses & land are cheap, the economy is healthy, there isn't congestion or traffic, and they aren't putting up huge developments as quickly as they can ship in the lumber. Yeah, I know... such a place doesn't exist. After all, small towns stay small because people don't want to flock to them... and people would flock to places that had vibrant economies and were cheap. Small towns with vibrant economies are expensive, and small towns that are cheap usually don't have economies that could be described by any positive adjective.

Maybe this thought process is just an offshoot of my gypsy heritage... never being able to be happy in one place for very long. Who knows. I guess I'll have all the answers when I die, and can look back on my life to see what became of it from start to finish.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:11 AM

55,667 posts, read 74,620,384 times
lemon grove CA

Old 04-03-2012, 09:44 AM

719 posts, read 1,311,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
It's funny... I used to live in an area that had 4 seasons, with a long, cold, snowy winter... and after one winter, I couldn't wait to get out. (This, despite how I was born and raised in the Northeast... which usually has cold, snowy winters.) So I moved south, to an area that still has four seasons (almost summer, summer, still summer, and "at least we're not freezing")... and have come to realize that while my brain and my wallet prefer warmer climates, my skin doesn't... so for my own health, I may eventually have to go up where it's colder on average.

"Heaven" to me would be a place where the people are almost universally friendly, there's no crime (or at least, nothing with "random victims" such as burglary), houses & land are cheap, the economy is healthy, there isn't congestion or traffic, and they aren't putting up huge developments as quickly as they can ship in the lumber. Yeah, I know... such a place doesn't exist. After all, small towns stay small because people don't want to flock to them... and people would flock to places that had vibrant economies and were cheap. Small towns with vibrant economies are expensive, and small towns that are cheap usually don't have economies that could be described by any positive adjective.

Maybe this thought process is just an offshoot of my gypsy heritage... never being able to be happy in one place for very long. Who knows. I guess I'll have all the answers when I die, and can look back on my life to see what became of it from start to finish.
Such a place does exist. Friendly, no crime, cheap houses, light traffic and controlled growth describes Amherst, NY to a tee.
-Population: 115,535
-Amherst has frequently been ranked as the Safest City in America (19961998, 20002003, 2010); many other years it ranks within the Top 5
-The median home cost in Amherst is $149,800.
-The unemployment rate in Amherst is 5.90 percent
-Avg commute time 22 min.
-Compared to the rest of the country, Amherst's cost of living is 6.40% Lower than the U.S. average.
- Niagara Falls, 2 Great Lakes and Toronto also very close by
What more do you need
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or