Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 05:35 PM

440 posts, read 772,329 times

Advertisements

I moved to Portland from Hawaii and thought it was a big mistake.
Mostly due to the rain and how hard its been to make friends here.

For those of you who about to move to the Pacific North West and make the mistake I did, not heeding the warnings about it always raining listen up.

If you only look at annual rainfall statistics Oregon does not have a more rain then other states. that would possible lead you to think people here in the pacific north west just like to complain about the rain. hahahaha no way!
it rains every week from November to March. if you work indoors no biggy. all other blue collar types ya might wana stay away.

sorry for the rant, was rained on all day again today.

ok now the question.

Are there any ex Oregon / Washington folks that left the PNW and are glad they did. if so, were did you move to and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 08:02 PM

704 posts, read 1,785,707 times
I lived in Oregon for a year after growing up in Colorado. I found it too rainy and too liberal, so I came back to Colorado as quickly as possible.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:04 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,266,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
I lived in Oregon for a year after growing up in Colorado. I found it too rainy and too liberal, so I came back to Colorado as quickly as possible.
Have you noticed that liberal and unfriendly go hand-in-hand? I wonder why that is?

When I was a kid in CA, I thought "earthy crunchy" liberal types had to be, by definition, friendlier. But then, I lived in a white middle class suburb. This isn't the case at all. Some of them are quite angry.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:46 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,335,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post

For those of you who about to move to the Pacific North West and make the mistake I did, not heeding the warnings about it always raining listen up.

If you only look at annual rainfall statistics Oregon does not have a more rain then other states. that would possible lead you to think people here in the pacific north west just like to complain about the rain. hahahaha no way!
it rains every week from November to March. if you work indoors no biggy. all other blue collar types ya might wana stay away.

ok now the question.

Are there any ex Oregon / Washington folks that left the PNW and are glad they did. if so, were did you move to and why.
Try Houston, while the grass is literally green there too, they get more sunny or party sunny days. The economy is good for this horrible mess we are in jobs and deficit wise. People are laid back and easy going and its very diverse which makes things more interesting.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:52 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,486,007 times
Indianapolis i would recommend looking into too.
Nations Most affordable housing market and within a days drive to 75% of the US population.
Fastest Growing city in the midwest and 8th in the nation.
First Northern City to be on the Super Bowl host rotation list.
Home to a very kind down to earth culture and Indy is a politically moderate and friendly city. None of the insane corruption here that you would find in other cities.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:29 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,829,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Have you noticed that liberal and unfriendly go hand-in-hand? I wonder why that is?

When I was a kid in CA, I thought "earthy crunchy" liberal types had to be, by definition, friendlier. But then, I lived in a white middle class suburb. This isn't the case at all. Some of them are quite angry.
Right.....because Republicans (die-hards, anyways) are SO extroverted!

Old 03-31-2012, 01:31 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,829,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Indianapolis i would recommend looking into too.
Nations Most affordable housing market and within a days drive to 75% of the US population.
Fastest Growing city in the midwest and 8th in the nation.
First Northern City to be on the Super Bowl host rotation list.
Home to a very kind down to earth culture and Indy is a politically moderate and friendly city. None of the insane corruption here that you would find in other cities.
High crime rate though...no? What about schools (public, pre-college)?

Old 03-31-2012, 05:34 AM

26,894 posts, read 43,398,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Right.....because Republicans (die-hards, anyways) are SO extroverted!
And friendly/accepting of diversity! Rep for you!

Old 03-31-2012, 05:46 AM

26,894 posts, read 43,398,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post

ok now the question.

You might check out Salt Lake City, UT Despite perception by some it's actually quite liberal/progressive and offers a lifestyle similar to Portland without the rain/clouds.

Salt Lake City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-31-2012, 06:27 AM

440 posts, read 772,329 times
Thanks for all your input folks, not sure why the republican demarcate thing got throw in...
Im looking for opinions from people who moved away from here.
thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.