Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 01:15 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,080 times

Advertisements

By this, I mean "a place you have been to, which you know decently well, where you'd love to live". I'm not talking about romanticized locations... it has to be something you know, where you either live right now, or would really like to live. If you could live anywhere in the US which you have already experienced, where would it be and why? (Figure, for answering this question, that you ARE NOT independently wealthy through some fluke happenstance like a huge inheritance or hitting the lottery. You have to live there as you are right now.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 02:06 PM

77 posts, read 149,370 times
NYC. Moving there in 4 months.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:41 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
LA or SF.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:02 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,355,784 times
Southern California metro (if looking for urban) or Pensacola FL (if looking for laid-back and don't want to do anything)

Old 03-25-2012, 03:08 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
Just exactly where I am (Mason County, MI). I've traveled all over and lived in most regions of the US. For me there is no place better than where I am now. Higher wages for the careers both my wife and I have, low cost of living, great schools, friendly people and all 4 seasons (except this year where we mostly skipped winter.) Low crime rate and those that do happen are mostly petty stuff. Fantastic fishing, plenty of clean clear water.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:04 PM

350 posts, read 740,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Just exactly where I am (Mason County, MI). I've traveled all over and lived in most regions of the US. For me there is no place better than where I am now. Higher wages for the careers both my wife and I have, low cost of living, great schools, friendly people and all 4 seasons (except this year where we mostly skipped winter.) Low crime rate and those that do happen are mostly petty stuff. Fantastic fishing, plenty of clean clear water.
How is the economy recovering there? Haven't been to Mason County but I love to visit the U.P. and Northern Michigan (in the summer ) From what I understand though the unemployment is unreal I agree Bydand that you have a beautiful state though! For day to day living though, the rolling hills, cottonwood trees, red cedar, huge sky, prairie grass and creeks of rural Nebraska are heaven to me!

Old 03-25-2012, 04:31 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
South Louisiana and the Gulf Coast.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:54 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
How is the economy recovering there? Haven't been to Mason County but I love to visit the U.P. and Northern Michigan (in the summer ) From what I understand though the unemployment is unreal I agree Bydand that you have a beautiful state though! For day to day living though, the rolling hills, cottonwood trees, red cedar, huge sky, prairie grass and creeks of rural Nebraska are heaven to me!
Unemployment isn't that bad here, never did get as bad as the media would have everyone believe either. Nobody I know is unemployed, or even came close to losing their job. The only friends that switched jobs in the last 4 or 5 years did so because they wanted to, not because they had to or were underemployed. Detroit was/is in bad shape, but that is a small area of the total State. The other 90% of the State is NOTHING like Detroit or what the media portrays MI to be.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:02 PM

350 posts, read 740,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Unemployment isn't that bad here, never did get as bad as the media would have everyone believe either. Nobody I know is unemployed, or even came close to losing their job. The only friends that switched jobs in the last 4 or 5 years did so because they wanted to, not because they had to or were underemployed. Detroit was/is in bad shape, but that is a small area of the total State. The other 90% of the State is NOTHING like Detroit or what the media portrays MI to be.
It's just weird though - I look at Mason County's unemployment rate and even pre-recession it looked like it was around 10%. To Nebraskans that would be alarmingly high and extremely noticeable - our counties hover around a 3-4% unemployment rate. Are there a lot more people in Michigan who don't like to work?

Old 03-25-2012, 05:19 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,732,469 times
My current location. Not necessarily this town specifically, just this area in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.