U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:45 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,378,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
You sure about that? I see lots of high COL areas in the high median income category too....
?? That was my point. A lot of the really high median income areas also have really high cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 11:58 AM

14,505 posts, read 23,779,649 times
Yes, its a trade off. Highest COL isn't the best either, so a median area that is more level would seem to be a preferable place to live and work.

Someone earlier mentioned states they dislike, and how parts of KY are just "haves and have nots" with nothing in the middle. So its a useful discussion to see areas people prefer, and why.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:59 PM

5,012 posts, read 4,718,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
When a state doesn't have any minimum wage laws does that mean a employer can pay a worker like $4.00 an hour?
No, the Federal Minimum wage is what is used in those states.
Here's a breakdown by state:
List of U.S. minimum wages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-30-2012, 03:25 PM

The minimum wage is $7.25 per hour for most employees in Tennessee, with exceptions for tipped employees, some student workers, and other exempt occupations.[1]

At Cracker Barrel, and many restaurants they pay under Federal Minimum, apparently, as referenced by this state endorsed site. The law varies by state, and also "occupation" as wait -staff falls under a certain category.

Tennessee Minimum Wage Rate 2012 - Minimum-Wage.org (http://www.minimum-wage.org/states.asp?state=Tennessee - broken link)

Old 03-30-2012, 04:06 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
This link is particularly insructive. Look at the dark green area around Washington DC. Now you see who your tax money is trickling down to. Five million people, all living very high off the hog on your tax money, directly or indirectly.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:55 PM

34,691 posts, read 33,695,295 times
Quote:
Detailed comparison here on a state by state basis.

Young people may also be interested to know the minimum wage laws for each state. There are FIVE states in the US with no minimum wage laws: Louisiana, Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas and South Carolina.
I live in Tennessee now. Before that I lived in Maryland and earlier than that, NY. One of the first things I noticed when I moved here in 2007 is teens still work in fast food restaurants in Tennessee as opposed to the illegals that did those jobs in Maryland. BUT, I'm not sure why because initially my opinion in Maryland was not that illegals were taking the jobs from teens but that the teens in the Maryland area I lived in were so spoiled, they didn't work after school and in the summer. I think the kids here in Tennessee aren't as spoiled. So, when school is out for the day, weekends and during the summer, you'll find teens here working.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This link is particularly insructive. Look at the dark green area around Washington DC. Now you see who your tax money is trickling down to. Five million people, all living very high off the hog on your tax money, directly or indirectly.
No argument there. D.C. is much like NYC, highest salaries, but impoverished areas surrounding. This is true of most major metropolitan cities.

Quality of life is really a subjective issue, which makes this interesting.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:30 PM

5,555 posts, read 6,983,406 times
Quote:
The minimum wage is $7.25 per hour for most employees in Tennessee, with exceptions for tipped employees, some student workers, and other exempt occupations.[1]

At Cracker Barrel, and many restaurants they pay under Federal Minimum, apparently, as referenced by this state endorsed site. The law varies by state, and also "occupation" as wait -staff falls under a certain category.

Tennessee Minimum Wage Rate 2012 - Minimum-Wage.org (http://www.minimum-wage.org/states.asp?state=Tennessee - broken link)

I know many of the tourist towns in Michigan get away with paying summer help little/no benefits. So even in non-RTW states you still have low paid jobs with little to no benefits.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:29 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,166,272 times
These maps are fairly recent (though think 2009 ACS) but can chow maps of income inequality fairly well

Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Old 04-01-2012, 08:47 PM

Thats an interesting map, Thanks. Very detailed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or