U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 04:57 PM

2,770 posts, read 5,355,947 times

Advertisements

Jersey City. Exchange place literally juts into the Hudson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 06:19 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,226,540 times
technically I think the Great Lakes should count. There's really more like fresh-water inland seas.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:21 PM

9,383 posts, read 9,532,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
technically I think the Great Lakes should count. There's really more like fresh-water inland seas.
They are not Coastal, you do not have tidal swings, its freshwater, and there is not even close to the scale of the ocean.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:21 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,607,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Jersey City. Exchange place literally juts into the Hudson.
The Hudson River is considered the coast?

Old 03-26-2012, 06:27 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,600,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The ones I can think of include:

Long Beach
Santa Monica
Sometimes, I've discussed with friends what Los Angeles COULD have been like if it's downtown was at the port, meaning San Pedro, and the city radiated out from there with radial beltways. I think it could have been fairly impressive. Of course, we know why downtown LA is where it is. It's because the original "pueblo" was around Olvera Street, a tourist trap in LA's initial "settlement," which is some 10 to 15 miles inland from water. Oh, well, on a clear February day, you get the downtown skyline with the snow-capped San Gabriels in the background.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 PM

4,934 posts, read 7,589,851 times
Its funny, when I'm in LA, which is fairly often- at least six times a year and I lived there for a couple- I really don't think of it as really being on the coast. I mean, from downtown or even Hollywood to Malibu is this circuitous drive on Sunset that takes at least 20 to 30 minutes (with no traffic) and then you feel like you've completely left the city. Santa Monica and down to Venice, Hermosa, Redondo etc... definitely feel like beach cities (or towns) but they feel distinctly separate from LA proper.

Folks not from LA think of it as being a real beachy or coastal city but living in one I don't really see it as such- but I do love LA!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:58 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,825,661 times
What about salt water vs. fresh?

This might be a better definition of coastal cities. In this case, Seattle is a coastal city with salt water jutting against downtown. Yes, Seattle is located inland from the Ocean, but a "Sound", (Puget Sound) is connected to the ocean in all ways.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:00 PM

5,857 posts, read 14,043,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What major cities have their downtown right on the coast? Either the ocean, or a bay? Not a city which has a downtown say 10 miles from the coast connected by a river, like most cities in the US 'on the coast.' Nor cities which have city limits fronting the coast, but where the downtown is some distance away.

The ones I can think of include:

San Diego
San Francisco
Long Beach
Santa Monica
Miami
Miami Beach
West Palm Beach/Ft. Lauderdale
Coral Cables
Tampa
Virginia Beach
New Haven
Boston
Portland, ME
Coral Gables's downtown is about 4 miles inland from Biscayne Bay, arguably not "the coast".

Old 03-26-2012, 09:31 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,352,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Its funny, when I'm in LA, which is fairly often- at least six times a year and I lived there for a couple- I really don't think of it as really being on the coast. I mean, from downtown or even Hollywood to Malibu is this circuitous drive on Sunset that takes at least 20 to 30 minutes (with no traffic) and then you feel like you've completely left the city. Santa Monica and down to Venice, Hermosa, Redondo etc... definitely feel like beach cities (or towns) but they feel distinctly separate from LA proper.

Folks not from LA think of it as being a real beachy or coastal city but living in one I don't really see it as such- but I do love LA!
No, which is why I wonder what the definition of being a 'coastal city' is. Portland and Houston are somewhat near the coast, but still a good hour's drive away in light traffic.

Downtown is in the eastern part of LA county/the city of LA.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:47 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,226,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
They are not Coastal, you do not have tidal swings, its freshwater, and there is not even close to the scale of the ocean.
They have tides alright...and they are a bit oversized for lakes. They are often referred to as "North Coast"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or