Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:44 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Its funny, when I'm in LA, which is fairly often- at least six times a year and I lived there for a couple- I really don't think of it as really being on the coast. I mean, from downtown or even Hollywood to Malibu is this circuitous drive on Sunset that takes at least 20 to 30 minutes (with no traffic) and then you feel like you've completely left the city. Santa Monica and down to Venice, Hermosa, Redondo etc... definitely feel like beach cities (or towns) but they feel distinctly separate from LA proper.

Folks not from LA think of it as being a real beachy or coastal city but living in one I don't really see it as such- but I do love LA!
I think many imagine something that looks more like San Diego. San Diego is definitely a coastal city, with a culture that is thoroughly infused with the city's relationship to the water. Los Angeles, not so much. It is a fascinating, amazing place, but for other reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 11:30 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
So despite Venice, Marina Del Rey, Pacific Palisades, a major international airport almost literally on the beach, and one of the largest port complexes in the entire world ALL within city limits, L.A. is not a "beach city"?

Well I'll be, I learn something new on city-data every day.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:46 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No, ALL the great Lakes combined can fit into the Gulf of Mexico about 3 times.
OK ...

Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
So despite Venice, Marina Del Rey, Pacific Palisades, a major international airport almost literally on the beach, and one of the largest port complexes in the entire world ALL within city limits, L.A. is not a "beach city"?

That's what I was thinking. I'm not from LA, but I figure by the images and Google-street views, LA seems like a "beachy" place, even miles from the coast.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:44 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
^I use to think LA was a beach type of city because of Google-Street View as well, I think that plays a major part to why so many people on the East (specifically NYC) don't think its as urban as it really is.

Btw is Boston considered coastal?

Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That's what I was thinking. I'm not from LA, but I figure by the images and Google-street views, LA seems like a "beachy" place, even miles from the coast.
It's a very beachy place. The beach infuses a lot of aspects of L.A. (including pop culture -- i.e. Baywatch, 90210, and the like).

That's why it is very strange for me to see that people don't consider L.A. to be a "coastal city".

I would definitely say Boston is coastal as well.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post

That's why I said "not so much," as in it's not entirely defined by relationship to the coast in the way that San Diego is. The vast majority of Angelenos do not live in beach communities. And the vast majority of beach communities do not fall within the city limits. Are there great beaches in and around L.A.? Absolutely. Is L.A. a one dimensional place that vanishes from reality, culture, and creative imagination if the beach isn't there? Not at all.

What use did Chandler have for the beach? How many movies are shot there? Where are the centers of power? The beach is just one of many delightful elements of Los Angeles. If you live there, and don't know this, then you are missing a whole lot of what L.A. has to offer.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:06 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
That's why I said "not so much," as in it's not entirely defined by relationship to the coast in the way that San Diego is. The vast majority of Angelenos do not live in beach communities. And the vast majority of beach communities do not fall within the city limits. Are there great beaches in and around L.A.? Absolutely. Is L.A. a one dimensional place that vanishes from reality, culture, and creative imagination if the beach isn't there? Not at all.

What use did Chandler have for the beach? How many movies are shot there? Where are the centers of power? The beach is just one of many delightful elements of Los Angeles. If you live there, and don't know this, then you are missing a whole lot of what L.A. has to offer.
That's what I was trying to convey- it's actually better (or I should say L.A. is better) that it is not "just" a beachy city. There is so much more to L.A. that doesn't rely at all on the beach/coast culture.

We were just up there to see Trey Anastasio perform at the Disney Hall with the L.A. Philharmonic (freaking awesome show! and we actually ran into Trey, alone! at a bar later and chatted him up! Wow!!!!) anyhoo -we took the train up from San Diego passing by all of its beautiful beaches up to downtown L.A., went to the Chinese and Japanese American museums and puttered around Olvera St., lunch at a wicked crowded (with Asians- always a good sign!) Ramen place in Little Tokyo and took Angels Flight (the best 25¢ deal in the city) walking up to our hotel by the Library. Saw the performance, ran into the stars from "Rules of Engagement" later at another bar and chatted up "Puddy" haha- had a little more sightseeing the next day and took the train back to much sleepier and beachier San Diego with puffy clouds and the smell of the Pacific Ocean and bay right at Santa Fe Depot downtown.

In L.A. there was no reference at all to a beach or the coast and the city held its own in a dense and cultural vibe.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:20 PM

That's a fantastic day trip, I'm envious -- it's been too long since I've been in L.A. So much of what I love about that city has nothing to do with the beach.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:38 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
That's what I was trying to convey- it's actually better (or I should say L.A. is better) that it is not "just" a beachy city. There is so much more to L.A. that doesn't rely at all on the beach/coast culture.

We were just up there to see Trey Anastasio perform at the Disney Hall with the L.A. Philharmonic (freaking awesome show! and we actually ran into Trey, alone! at a bar later and chatted him up! Wow!!!!) anyhoo -we took the train up from San Diego passing by all of its beautiful beaches up to downtown L.A., went to the Chinese and Japanese American museums and puttered around Olvera St., lunch at a wicked crowded (with Asians- always a good sign!) Ramen place in Little Tokyo and took Angels Flight (the best 25¢ deal in the city) walking up to our hotel by the Library. Saw the performance, ran into the stars from "Rules of Engagement" later at another bar and chatted up "Puddy" haha- had a little more sightseeing the next day and took the train back to much sleepier and beachier San Diego with puffy clouds and the smell of the Pacific Ocean and bay right at Santa Fe Depot downtown.

In L.A. there was no reference at all to a beach or the coast and the city held its own in a dense and cultural vibe.

Teh next time you come down Angels' Flight, walk across the street and check out the bar "La Cita". If LA has a center, I'm pretty sure its in their back patio.

La Cita Bar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.