U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:57 PM

179 posts, read 62,115 times

Advertisements

I don't think there's any place you'll feed more at home than in Dearborn, MI. It's an all American city, not an ethnic enclave, but everyone is familiar and comfortable with Muslims, finding halal meat (and having it served at your kids' schools) is not problem, and employers will respect needs like having to leave early on Friday for prayer. Dearborn is extremely safe, and outside of some tensions between African American and Arabs in some East Dearborn neighborhoods, there aren't "racial tensions."

The University of Michigan-Dearborn and Wayne State University are both great schools with a large Muslim population.

And although we don't have much of an aerospace industry, we have an auto industry on the rebound. Ford is one of the best companies to work for, and it's right here in Dearborn.

I really hope you reconsider, because you're always welcome in Dearborn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 09:34 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,549,136 times
Don't blame the community - the investigation isn't complete and in cases like that usually the husband did it.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:53 PM

637 posts, read 265,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Apparently you misunderstood. I wasn't questioning OP's RIGHT TO ASK, or USE OF THIS FORUM, I was questioning WHY HE FEELS HE NEEDS TO ASK WHERE HIS WIFE CAN BE SAFE. Clearly in OP's mind, there are non-friendly muslim cities. If the USA defends everyone's freedom of expression as vigorously as you say, this question would not NEED to be asked. They could both go anywhere they choose without fear of discrimination. Clearly, he feels as though this is not the case, despite your inalienable constitutional rights and multicultural society.
I didn't misunderstand anything.

This is what you said

Quote:
I find it incredibly offensive to see... ladies wandering around ....(with) black scarves on their heads.
Quote:
Odd, disrespectful, out of place.
Quote:
why would you want to LIVE in a country where you know it's going to offened?
You find these people, who come to live in America on their own free will, offensive?

You find these people, who aren't breaking the law, offensive?

You support the person who beat the poor person in California to death for "offending your sensibilities"?

I'm more offended that people like you exist. Please, spare me the reading comprehension lesson. You made yourself loud and clear.

I sometimes wear a black scarf over my head too. I hope you don't try to beat me to death. In fact, I'd love to see you try.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:54 PM

774 posts, read 408,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I think quite a few cities would fit your request, but it would be easier to know what other qualities you are looking for in a city along with any other criteria.

I can easily say that where I live (Cambridge, MA and the surrounding Boston area) is very accepting of Muslims, but you may not like the cold weather or there may not be employment available in your field of choice. So any additional details would be helpful.

All the best with your search. It is unfortunate that someones religion has to even be a factor in where they live, people should stay out of each others personal rights to practice.
Dude, you beat me to it. I was going to recommend Cambridge!

Every morning when I walk to work I see two teenage girls walking to school and it always makes me smile. One girl is white with punk rock hair and clothes. The other girl is dark skinned Muslim with a headscarf(I'm not going to speculate on her nation of birth or origin). People in this city are very accepting and you would feel safe here.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 PM

5,272 posts, read 6,615,532 times
You might look at Memphis
Muslim Society of Memphis Memphis Islamic Center
It was not too uncommon to see women and girls with covered heads and occasionally in Burkas, especially in the neighborhood I lived in, although in some areas it might get you a second look. One of the top ranked magnet high schools is a melting pot of all types of religions, diverse ethnic and economic backgrounds.
There is some racial tension but tends to be mostly black/white, but with the current, less controversial, mayor that will hopefully subside a bit over the next several years.
Unsure on the specific job opportunities you would be looking for. Maybe look at FedEx.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:28 AM

10,329 posts, read 13,718,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Don't blame the community - the investigation isn't complete and in cases like that usually the husband did it.
I don't buy the whole hate crime thing, I think there is more to the story and the whole "hate crime" is a cover up. That area of San Diego has had Iraqi's for quite a long time now and they are fairly common.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:35 AM

5,563 posts, read 6,422,716 times
I can't really say if there's a big Muslim population in Seattle, but I see them around in the Greater Seattle Area. Generally a very safe, tolerant, peaceful area. Plus, it's got Boeing and other (smaller) companies for the Aerospace aspect.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:12 AM

8,179 posts, read 6,444,171 times
Heard about that on the news. Absolutely horrible. That sort of thing generally doesn't happen in CA; I have a sinking feeling that one way or the other, more details will come out of this tragedy.

In any case, as another poster said, here in LA, no one really cares. There are many Muslims here, and the vast bulk of people have absolutely nothing against them.

I lived in Cambridge, MA in my teens, and agree with edwardsyzurphands, tolerance for Muslims is high. Tolerance in general there is pretty high. If you look at the city of Boston itself, it's a bit trickier; there are some pretty insular areas where anyone who's not "from there" aren't exactly looked upon well, sadly.

People in Seattle, WA are very tolerant and I can't imagine anyone giving a Muslim family whose matriarch chose to wear a headscarf any grief at all. People there tend to keep to themselves and generally try to be open minded of other overseas cultures (though they are less accepting of other US-based cultures, i.e. Southerners, Californians, etc).

The SF Bay Area is very tolerant and there's a large Muslim community that is concentrated on the southern part of the Peninsula, from Daly City on down to Millbrae, as well as over in the East Bay.

Dallas has a huge Pakistani community and Muslim friends of mine have spoken highly of the area.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:36 AM

12,379 posts, read 12,331,456 times
I would most agree with others who mention the Washington DC metro area and would specifically point toward the inner ring suburbs of Northern Virginia (Arlington, Falls Church, Fairfax) and suburban Maryland (Silver Spring, College Park).

Old 03-27-2012, 07:28 AM

1,942 posts, read 2,309,989 times
Atlanta has a huge black Muslim population. You see the whole dress everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.