U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 AM

56,500 posts, read 80,803,243 times

Advertisements

Near colleges in Upstate NY would be fine, as would certain parts of the metro areas. Same with NYC and vicinity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 07:33 AM

120 posts, read 176,298 times
Mobile, AL

Old 03-27-2012, 01:52 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,227,341 times
I'd think most every major city has Muslim areas of town and it's more about where you want to live rather than where is the best place specifically for Muslims - unless you want to be around a large density of Muslims.

Even in Kansas City, which has about 20K, there are many wearing head scarves from the NE Side to Midtown to S KC - no hassling I know of here, in the news anyway. Figured most cities had their Muslim areas and that hassling could potentially happen anywhere in the US.

About a dozen mosques in KC..
Kansas City Masajid

Old 03-27-2012, 02:27 PM

424 posts, read 534,151 times
Based on some of the ignorant posters here, we can easily see why a Muslim might feel unsafe or the object of ridicule.

To the OP, there have been some good suggestions in this thread already. I will also add that American universities are seeing a sharp increase in the number of students from Middle Eastern countries---Saudi Arabia in particular---and if you could find an area around a large university in a decent-sized city, that might meet your needs. Even on Pittsburgh's campuses it's not uncommon to see women covered: it's not a common sight, and Pittsburgh is still generally conservative, but in and around the university districts you'll find clusters of diversity, ethnicity, and tolerance.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:59 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,132,870 times
LOTS of scarfed Africans in the Twin Cities area (I guess that indicates they are Muslim....didn't necessarily know that). I think they fit in relatively well considering the glaring differences in culture, but there are definitely some people who do not understand the culture and I have heard of people lashing out against them....although I believe it's fairly uncommon.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:44 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,703,198 times
Atlanta

Old 03-28-2012, 02:14 AM

12,521 posts, read 23,095,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egyptian2009 View Post
Hello All

After The Muslim Woman's Beating Death in Elcajon , many Muslim families get worried specially those whose ladies are wearing head scarf

Please share thoughts about cities that may welcome peaceful Muslim families and where it is normal and safe to walk and go college while wearing the Islamic head scarf
please exclude dearborn , MI because despite of big Muslim population the are is not safe and full of racial tensions .

Beside acceptance for Muslims the city shall have affordable rentals and good employment opportunities
and shall preferably have a nearby aerospace industry

thanks
Houston, Texas

Old 08-20-2014, 06:07 PM

57 posts, read 107,845 times
I have similar question , but for specific cities

Plano, TX
Denver, CO
Richmond, VA

Are these cities Muslim-friendly cities ??
Which one is friendliest and which one is not ??

Old 08-20-2014, 06:13 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,182,398 times
Of those, Plano definately has the most pronounced Muslim community. There are quite a few Mosques in the area, a Muslim association sponsors many of the streets, many Halal markets and restaurants, and there are Muslim schools in the area.

I live in Plano and I have more than a few Muslim families in our neighborhood. Everyone gets along quite well.

I definately dont want to say the others are not Muslim friendly, but Plano will have the highest concentration of Muslims and they will be the most visable here.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:22 PM

57 posts, read 107,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Of those, Plano definately has the most pronounced Muslim community. There are quite a few Mosques in the area, a Muslim association sponsors many of the streets, many Halal markets and restaurants, and there are Muslim schools in the area.

I live in Plano and I have more than a few Muslim families in our neighborhood. Everyone gets along quite well.

I definately dont want to say the others are not Muslim friendly, but Plano will have the highest concentration of Muslims and they will be the most visable here.

Thank you

What about Denver and Richmond ? Do you have any idea ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or