Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 02:25 PM

113 posts, read 306,773 times

Advertisements

Hello All

After The Muslim Woman's Beating Death in Elcajon , many Muslim families get worried specially those whose ladies are wearing head scarf

Please share thoughts about cities that may welcome peaceful Muslim families and where it is normal and safe to walk and go college while wearing the Islamic head scarf
please exclude dearborn , MI because despite of big Muslim population the are is not safe and full of racial tensions .

Beside acceptance for Muslims the city shall have affordable rentals and good employment opportunities
and shall preferably have a nearby aerospace industry

thanks

Last edited by Egyptian2009; 03-26-2012 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 02:37 PM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times
I think quite a few cities would fit your request, but it would be easier to know what other qualities you are looking for in a city along with any other criteria.

I can easily say that where I live (Cambridge, MA and the surrounding Boston area) is very accepting of Muslims, but you may not like the cold weather or there may not be employment available in your field of choice. So any additional details would be helpful.

All the best with your search. It is unfortunate that someones religion has to even be a factor in where they live, people should stay out of each others personal rights to practice.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:43 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
I would think Los Angeles. It's a huge melting pot and I believe there is a large Iranian population there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehrangeles

Old 03-26-2012, 03:16 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
^LA is wear the lady was killed.

D.C. suburbs (Maryland) are tolerant of scarfed Muslims. Some of of my best pals are scarfed Muslims.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:26 PM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post

D.C. suburbs (Maryland) are tolerant of scarfed Muslims. Some of of my best pals are scarfed Muslims.
I think the DC area is a good recommendation. Taking Dearborn out of the equation I would also recommend the metro areas of (To follow up on my post above): DC, Houston, Minneapolis, Boston, South Florida, NYC, SF and LA.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:28 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:

OP said El Cajon, that's a suburb east of San Diego. There's a difference.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:30 PM

637 posts, read 1,015,622 times
Quote:

Agree with DC, but El Cajon is next to San Diego, not Los Angeles. I don't think places 120 miles away should be held accountable for something that one place did.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:31 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,440,528 times
Oh lol ok; that shows how much I know about southern California.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:34 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,811,724 times
It is very common to see women in head scarves in Minneapolis, including at the University of Minnesota. Most are Somalis but there are also people from the rest of the muslim world too.

Minneapolis is significantly cheaper than the cities on the coasts and has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:37 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egyptian2009 View Post

is normal and safe to walk and go college while wearing the Islamic head scarf

Beside acceptance for Muslims the city shall have affordable rentals and good employment opportunities

and shall preferably have a nearby aerospace industry
if you can pass on the affordable rents, Northern Virginia in particular the technology corridor from tysons corner out to Ashburn. Go to Tysons Corner Galleria, you will think you've died and gone to heaven (wait, maybe thats not the right way to put it?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.