U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:04 AM

8,793 posts, read 10,707,607 times

Advertisements

sigh

Irish Family Moving to New York / New Jersey area

Woodside help for Newcomer!

Looking for accommodation in woodlawn

Irish Family thinking of moving to NYC

moving Cork IRE to woodlawn ny

there is definitely migration from Ireland to NYC taking place, though of course not mass migration - but enough to have a significant impact, apparently, on one neighborhood in the Bronx.

I suppose NYC could be the exception, as it is in so many ways.

Is there anyone here from Boston or Chicago or other likely destination cities aware of Irish migration and impact there - Im NOT looking for more discussion of the relative macro economic situation between USA and Europe, etc.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:15 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,347,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
sigh

Irish Family Moving to New York / New Jersey area

Woodside help for Newcomer!

Looking for accommodation in woodlawn

Irish Family thinking of moving to NYC

moving Cork IRE to woodlawn ny

there is definitely migration from Ireland to NYC taking place, though of course not mass migration - but enough to have a significant impact, apparently, on one neighborhood in the Bronx.

I suppose NYC could be the exception, as it is in so many ways.

Is there anyone here from Boston or Chicago or other likely destination cities aware of Irish migration and impact there - Im NOT looking for more discussion of the relative macro economic situation between USA and Europe, etc.
Maybe you should create a new thread to be Irish specific. As it is, you seem to be asking about Europe as a whole. ("EU Crisis" "European Immigration")

Still not sure, as a foreigner myself, how easy it can be for these Irish to come here.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:38 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,925,613 times
Not going to happen.

1. The current situation in Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria, Switzerland, U.K., Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland is equal or better than the situation in the United States.
2. The countries in 1. will be the number one choices for anyone leaving those countries that are worse off.
3. Even if people wanted, they couldn't just immigrate to the U.S.. The times when people could just hop on a ship/plane and enter the country are long gone. It is ridiculously difficult to (legally) immigrate.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
Maybe you should create a new thread to be Irish specific. As it is, you seem to be asking about Europe as a whole. ("EU Crisis" "European Immigration")

Still not sure, as a foreigner myself, how easy it can be for these Irish to come here.
yeah, I thought Id get a wider response this way, but I guess not.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Not going to happen.

1. The current situation in Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria, Switzerland, U.K., Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland is equal or better than the situation in the United States.
2. The countries in 1. will be the number one choices for anyone leaving those countries that are worse off.
3. Even if people wanted, they couldn't just immigrate to the U.S.. The times when people could just hop on a ship/plane and enter the country are long gone. It is ridiculously difficult to (legally) immigrate.
the UE rate in UK is 8.4% and has been rising. Not sure if their stats on UE are directly comparable to ours though. But I would hazard that UK is not quite the destination that Germany and scandinavia are .

It may be hard to migrate legally, but a bunch of Irish seem to manage to come to NYC legally. Perhaps they have family here? But then I would imagine quite a few Greeks do as well.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,925,613 times
Quote:
the UE rate in UK is 8.4% and has been rising. Not sure if their stats on UE are directly comparable to ours though. But I would hazard that UK is not quite the destination that Germany and scandinavia are .

It may be hard to migrate legally, but a bunch of Irish seem to manage to come to NYC legally. Perhaps they have family here? But then I would imagine quite a few Greeks do as well.
Well, 8.4% is still more or less on par with the US umemployment rate. Also, to my knowledge the criteria for who is considered unemployed are a lot stricter in the EU. Many US states would have a 10%+ unemployment rate by German standards for example. Many of my German friends who work less than 15 hrs a week are considered unemployed. My American friends who work 2 hrs a week are considered employed. Those who gave up looking for work are also not counted, while they are counted in Germany.
Overall the core of Europe is at least as healthy and sometimes healthier than the United States. In relative terms. Of course the situation is not ideal in either place.

Believe me, I am very familiar with that process. It is super duper difficult to do. Family only helps if it is your immediate family (i.e. children and parents) and even then it can take years to finally receive a green card. Unless you get married to an American citizen. Why go through all that hassle if you can just move a few hours' plane ride away to another EU country without any bureaucratic hurdles? I am assuming if Irish (or others) decide to go overseas instead of other EU countries it will most likely be Canada, Australia or New Zealand, all of which are easier to immigrate into.

Last edited by Rob702; 03-27-2012 at 12:59 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 01:23 PM

well there are certainly a bunch of threads in the canada forum of folks from ireland looking for advice. I can't find any for folks from Greece, so I suppose the language difference is operative.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:27 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,347,597 times
Quote:
well there are certainly a bunch of threads in the canada forum of folks from ireland looking for advice. I can't find any for folks from Greece, so I suppose the language difference is operative.
Yes, Canada and the provincial government of Quebec are actively recruiting immigrants from Europe and the US. In fact the Quebecois government recently hosted an event here in Boston to attract interest in Canadian immigration.

I would bet that many Greek and Irish would look toward Canada before they considered the US.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:30 PM

i checked the boston forum, and there are also a few threads there of Irish folks looking to immigrate to the US, but there does not seem to be discussion of a single neighborhood like Woodlawn in NYC - perhaps because irish and irish americans are so common all over the area there?

Old 03-27-2012, 03:07 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,275,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post

The US has a visa waiver program for the Irish making it easier for them to come here compared to people from other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or