U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 03:29 PM

8,816 posts, read 10,722,515 times

Advertisements

So, now that several euro economies are in a very bad way, even worse than the US, we should be seeing european immigration, with impacts on US cities. So far I have seen lots of threads in the NYC forum about people moving from Ireland, looking for places to live - and one nabe in the Bronx, I think woodlawn, is often mentioned as a place with lots of irish immigrants (not only Irish Americans).

Are Irish immigranst impacting US cities besides NYC? And I never seem to hear about new greek immigration, though it must be taking place?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:56 PM

679 posts, read 570,492 times
Europe may be in bad shape but they still have decent living standards. We might see an increase of immigration but overall I don't think we will see a "mass" immigration considering Europe's economic power.

Most Europeans looking to immigrate seem more interested in Australia these days.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:08 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,350,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
So, now that several euro economies are in a very bad way, even worse than the US, we should be seeing european immigration, with impacts on US cities. So far I have seen lots of threads in the NYC forum about people moving from Ireland, looking for places to live - and one nabe in the Bronx, I think woodlawn, is often mentioned as a place with lots of irish immigrants (not only Irish Americans).

Are Irish immigranst impacting US cities besides NYC? And I never seem to hear about new greek immigration, though it must be taking place?

It may be worse in some places (Greece, Ireland). But, the US isn't doing so well either. I don't know many who would give up what they have in Europe to come to America these days. The standard of living in many of those countries is actually higher than here in the US and government programs make it easier to get by on lower wages than in the US.

I'm French and most of my relatives think I'm crazy for living and working here. The image of America as the land of hope and opportunity, at least in Europeans' eyes, is gone.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:18 PM

5,837 posts, read 10,796,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
It may be worse in some places (Greece, Ireland). But, the US isn't doing so well either. I don't know many who would give up what they have in Europe to come to America these days. The standard of living in many of those countries is actually higher than here in the US and government programs make it easier to get by on lower wages than in the US.

I'm French and most of my relatives think I'm crazy for living and working here. The image of America as the land of hope and opportunity, at least in Europeans' eyes, is gone.
Exactly. This isn't the early 20th century. With the exception of some eastern European countries that are still lagging, and some unique career opportunities only available in Americas largest cities, there isn't a REAL lot of immigration from Europe.

Even immigration from Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America has slowed down.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:31 PM

1,844 posts, read 1,951,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post

QFT. While the US is slightly healthier economically than the EU (at least on paper), in reality the average person lives much more precariously compared to their Euro counterparts...

Old 03-27-2012, 09:37 AM

I am NOT talking about mass migration from France or Germany or even UK, Italy, Spain.

Im talking specifically about immigration from the worst hit countries like Ireland or Greece. Places where govt programs are being dramatically curtailed, and where UE is very high.

Unemployment in Greece is now 21% and rising.

Greek unemployment hits new record high in Dec. at 21 pct | Reuters

Despite the minimum wage having been cut by a fifth

Old 03-27-2012, 10:04 AM

186 posts, read 383,240 times
Unemployment in Spain is even worse than Greece. If anything they are moving about in the EU to countries like Germany where things are stronger. No need to file papers or jump through hoops if you stay in the EU.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightiesfan View Post
Unemployment in Spain is even worse than Greece. If anything they are moving about in the EU to countries like Germany where things are stronger. No need to file papers or jump through hoops if you stay in the EU.

okay - so irish come here cause they are english speakers (and UK isnt also economically weak, unlike Germany) but for Greeks thats not an issue?

that still leaves - where else in the USA are Irish going, aside from NYC?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:22 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,204,700 times
It is difficult for people to immigrate to the US quickly and legally in response to things like this. Occasionally after significant natural disasters or warfare the US Congress will allow temporary increases in immigration from a country, but even then it is usually only a few thousand people.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:35 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,350,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
okay - so irish come here cause they are english speakers (and UK isnt also economically weak, unlike Germany) but for Greeks thats not an issue?

that still leaves - where else in the USA are Irish going, aside from NYC?

My guess would be that if they are headed out of Europe, they'd be most likely to go to places like Canada and New Zealand which make the immigration process easier than here in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or