U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:03 PM

398 posts, read 622,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
That's the temperature it gets during the height of the summer (August/September) in places protected from large waves, like La Jolla Cove and to a much lesser degree La Jolla Shores (you'll never see those temps at IB for example). Even during a el nino year the water will only make it to like 74 in those places. There have been summers when it never hit 70.

And while you personally like it, most people I know don't. Even lower 70s are too cold if you plan to stay in the water for a while. Hell, stepping into 85 will feel a little cold at first (but you will warm up to it quick). You can easily get hypothermia in 85 degree water if you're in there for a while so it does cool you off.

I was born and raised in LA and lived in SD (OB). I love a lot about the area but the cold water isn't one of them.
As somebody who has lived most of their life in either FL or CA and other tropical locales I agree with you... While CA beaches might be majestic and beautiful, and have nice waves (with a wet suit) the FL beaches are farrr more enjoyable and the cold water just isn't fun for most people. In fl you can just hang out in the water for a longgg time. Why do you think so many people from LA and SD go down to Cabo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,079,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
As somebody who has lived most of their life in either FL or CA and other tropical locales I agree with you... While CA beaches might be majestic and beautiful, and have nice waves (with a wet suit) the FL beaches are farrr more enjoyable and the cold water just isn't fun for most people. In fl you can just hang out in the water for a longgg time. Why do you think so many people from LA and SD go down to Cabo?
A lot of people don't really enter the water on Cali beaches except surfers. They enjoy the sun, dip in to cool down, and get out. Another thing to consider is that 70s (which is often the temperature on the beaches in socal) is too cold to enjoy the beach. Yeah, 70s is great for walking around town, for biking, for jogging, whatever but entering and exiting water is not one of them. I only found myself going to the beach on 80+ or even the rare 90 + days when the santa ana's were blowing.

The water in Cabo is still colder than Florida but a lot nicer than the waters off SD and LA. If you wanna drive about 3-4 hours you can always go to San Felipe (Sea of Cortez/Mexico) the water is beautifully warm and the outside temp is 100/110 + F but dry. I used to go all the time when I was in SD.

And Florida does get waves on the atlantic. A lot of them, especially in the summer. They're not good for surfing (break too soon, poor barrels) but fun to play in. Occasional, the surf is good in Florida but it's more hit and miss compared to socal. Surfing is overrated though, imo. Every midwesterner who gets down in cali is eager to blend in, prove their cali credentials by hitting the water and getting in your way. They can't surf, but they rave about it like it's some sorta religious experience. Surfing at night though can be the most relaxing things one does, and you avoid the newbies. I used to use the OB pier for some light and just catch wave after wave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.