Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 06:47 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times

Advertisements

"I belong here...You don't!"...Human beings can definitely be "territorial" at times. (Just like animals!)..When an area gets targeted for "growth" and new development "natives" and longtime residents may be "up in arms!" They don't want to be "invaded!"... I think we all have a fear of becoming "extinct!" "Natives" and longtime residents don't want to see their existing lifestyle and culture "totally wiped out."..."Newcomers" don't want to give-up all they've "known" either. This is why some push for a mall or more shopping venues in their new area. Or cultural events etc...And this all leads to conflicts! Who is "right" and who is "wrong?" Does an area belong to those who came first? Or not? What's the best way to handle these type of conflicts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 10:43 AM

546 posts, read 1,176,457 times
I think that people should respect the culture of the place they move to and newcomers should not try to change the place when they move in. I also think that there should be limits to growth and development. Here are two articles which I find to be good, they explains why "growth" and "economic development" are very harmful things that communities should do their best to stop or limit.

Anti-Growth or Pro-Community? Salem's Mayor Makes His Case by Mike Swaim

Preservation Institute: The End of Economic Growth

Old 04-05-2012, 11:01 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,986,439 times
Native Americans...sad to say that there is not much left of their culture?

Old 04-05-2012, 11:16 AM

546 posts, read 1,176,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negtive View Post
Native Americans...sad to say that there is not much left of their culture?
That is why newcomers need to always respect the people and the place and culture of those who came there before. I think the Native Americans in America today are certainly better off than they were even 10 years ago due to more and more media exposure (though movies like Avatar and the like).

But it is simply wrong in general for people who come into a place and impose their way of life into a place. The culture of the United States in general, that is morally wrong, is that we glorify those who impose our culture through force or some other method like the settlers did to the Native Americans or the US army does to Islamic countries in the name of spreading democracy. If that is our common culture that Americans share then if we have no problem doing it to Native Americans or people in the Middle East, we have no problem doing it to our own people here. I know that New Yorkers do not like when hipsters gentrify a neighborhood. Put yourself in the shoes of a poor family in NYC, then hipsters come and by their coming, change the cultural fabric of your neighborhood. At first it seems ok but landlords know they can charge higher rent to the hipsters, and before you know it you cannot afford your apartment then you have to leave and you have so many cultural roots in your place. Wouldn't you feel that is unfair?

Communities that continue to grow and grow for the sake of growth die. Economically, culturally, and in their soul. Why do you think Walmart is so hated in many communities? Thousands of family owned businesses that have roots to an area go away when economic development happens, and usually it means Walmarts. Open pristine land which people enjoy and are required for our earth to remain healthy get paved over by growth and economic development through suburban housing. Once productive farmland paved over and destroyed by office parks. What was once a beautiful landscape has become an ugly vast sea of endless McMansions. When rural communities who enjoyed the open air and vast pristine wilderness see their land trashed by constant building of suburban housing for newcomers, it is a very sad day for them. Seeing that, many people who longed for the peace of the wilderness flee into even newer homes which temporarily are close to nature and thus destroy the very nature they seek to get near to and the process repeats.

I'm sorry but I have to say that newcomers need to respect those who came before them. History tells us the bad that happened when we allow newcomers to change things from the way they are to something else entirely without the consent of those who came before.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:50 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times
JKFire108...Thanks for posting links to the wonderful articles! The mayor from Salem grew-up in my "neck of the woods" in So CA at around the same time I did!...Anyway I am a big advocate of trying to preserve the "quality of life" in each area...Some elected city officials in other areas definitely think in terms of "quanity" and not "quality!" ("Quantity" in terms of bringing in "big bucks" and more and more revenue even though the "quality of life" in their town will go "down.") And the truth is that "bigger" isn't always "better." Right?...Obese people get "attacked" all the time for being "too big!" And lean and thin and skinny people get praised and congratulated for being "perfect." (Even if they have to become anorexic and starve themselves to "stay small!")...Anyway we live in a "free country" and this means that we are all free to move around and live anywhere we want to in the USA. But it's good to consider the history and existing culture of an area before we decide to move right-in and "take over!"... And will we be "welcomed with open arms?" Or bitterly resented by longtime residents who tried to "stop" and "block" their mayor and city council from pushing for "overnight growth" but lost the "battle" in the end.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
Here in California there always seems to be some Anglo-saxon, mexican, asian, or black person, hell bent on telling me how "native" they are.

When I ask them what local native tribe they are a member of, they usually shut up and understand I am not buying the act. I don't care who you are, much less where you are from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.