U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:33 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
A lot of the United States has summers that are hot by Irish standards, even New York City.

We could use skilled immigrants in the South, where I live.

That is one thing we are. We are skilled workers who work hard. I have been told on many occasions that we are a great bunch of workers by people all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
There is some Irish immigration to San Francisco. I am not sure Aer Lingus flies there, but I think it has/does. I've seen two Aer Lingus planes parked at Boston Logan next to each other, so that says something. Don't know how much of it caters to immigrants from previous waves. NYC is expensive and parts of it are really dense, that it really can make you feel claustrophobic. Don't know what you do and you don't need to tell us.

Never been to Australia. However, there is some recent Irish immigration to Montreal Canada. It features a colder winter than Ireland would, but what an interesting city. Do you speak French or do you want to learn? (There are Anglophones in Montreal, too). I think Toronto is Canada's economic engine, but if it's going to be cold, I'd pick Montreal because it's way more fascinating.
No I want to go to either NYC or Chicago. I dont want to go to the West Coast as I did not like it. I loved NYC and the likes of Boston and Chicago. I did not like LA or San Francisco. Well SF was not to bad. Aer Lingus flies from Dublin to NYC, Chicago, Boston, Washington, Orlando and they are LAX will soon be on the list I think. SF dont fly to SF I dont think from Dublin. They might start soon though.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:50 AM

56,587 posts, read 80,870,855 times
If you like Boston and NYC, then the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area of NY would be a happy, more affordable medium. It also has a high Irish American percentage and is about 2 hours from both of those areas. Scranton PA also has a high Irish percentage.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:30 AM

469 posts, read 602,152 times
When people on this thread refer to Irish neighborhoods, are they referring to places where the residents' ancestors came to the U.S. a hundred years ago or earlier, or to places where it is common to hear Irish accents? God bless.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you like Boston and NYC, then the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area of NY would be a happy, more affordable medium. It also has a high Irish American percentage and is about 2 hours from both of those areas. Scranton PA also has a high Irish percentage.
Thanks for the info buddy
I like big cities thats why I like New York and Chicago. New York is really expensive which is a kick in the teeth because of what I want to do over there. I want to get citizenship and then join the FDNY or NYPD.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:26 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,490,108 times
Quote:
When people on this thread refer to Irish neighborhoods, are they referring to places where the residents' ancestors came to the U.S. a hundred years ago or earlier, or to places where it is common to hear Irish accents? God bless.
Irish neighborhoods in Boston feature both characteristics. There is still a lot of immigration, and I would imagine that many are attracted to places with historic ties to Ireland. The largest Irish populations are in places like Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago. I suspect those are the major emigration targets.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:28 PM

8,799 posts, read 10,709,555 times
Quote:

I was interested in places like woodlawn NY, which have significant numbers of irish people who have immigratred within say, the last 3 years.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Sometimes the former and sometimes both.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
I like big cities thats why I like New York and Chicago. New York is really expensive which is a kick in the teeth because of what I want to do over there. I want to get citizenship and then join the FDNY or NYPD.
It is common in Northeastern cities for those of an Irish background to work in the Fire or Police department.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:01 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,608,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
I think you've already answered your question. That said, people who really want to live in NY find a way to do so. It's a great place if you have your heart set on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.