U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 03:53 AM

5,380 posts, read 13,000,682 times

Advertisements

Seattle and Los Angeles are my favorite.

Seattle is a gem. Truely laid back, beautiful scenery, low crime, no ghettos, fantastic downtown, cool neighborhoods, surrounded by water, the best seafood, great nightlife scene.

Los Angeles is so unique. Living here you will truely see a different side from the typical one week visit. Endless amount of everything from food, culture, shopping, entertainment and by far the most interesting architecturally. And of course the great weather.
Had fun in DC but it was my least favorite. Something about the people. The people are a huge part of what makes a city what it is and DC folks were not my parents, my brothers or my cup of tea.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 04:26 AM

21,233 posts, read 30,478,027 times
Washington DC

Walkable city with four distinct seasons, lots of greenspace, great architecture, a lot of cultural activities, good restaurant scene and close proximity to countryside/mountains and a couple of hours from the beach. Driving/traffic is only bad if one chooses to live in the 'burbs and avoid using the world class transit system.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:21 PM

8,521 posts, read 14,010,671 times
Chicago

Old 09-14-2012, 05:22 PM

8,521 posts, read 14,010,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Washington DC

Walkable city with four distinct seasons, lots of greenspace, great architecture, a lot of cultural activities, good restaurant scene and close proximity to countryside/mountains and a couple of hours from the beach. Driving/traffic is only bad if one chooses to live in the 'burbs and avoid using the world class transit system.
I didn't know DC had such a great pub. trans. syatem. I was really impressed by it.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:28 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,672,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Had fun in DC but it was my least favorite. Something about the people. The people are a huge part of what makes a city what it is and DC folks were not my parents, my brothers or my cup of tea.
I think all the bureaucrats and the whole emphasis on being "in the know" with respect to the "political machine" would make DC nauseating to me. I could cut through it with a knife the first time I was there. Seeing all these cloned bureaucrats running on, or near, the Mall during the lunch hour in running attire, only to go back to moving paper from one side of the desk to the other afterward. How depressing. That's why I read many posts on here about how many disgruntled patrons there are on the DC metro, never having traveled on it.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:25 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,198,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
For me, it would be Atlanta. I was trying to get hired by a certain company's Miami office and ended up in their Atlanta office.

I honestly have to say I liked just about everything in metro Atlanta, though all big cities have traffic, sprawl and crime. I liked the housing price/quality, the mix of transplants, foreigners and natives, the big buildings, the heavy-rail transit system, the weather (all around), the pines in the hilly terrain, and the fact that Atlanta, surprisingly, can poke fun at itself. (Some cities can't).

I only put it ahead of LA because I lived in LA growing up, and I think QOL comes at a very high price. So I now vacation in Los Angeles.
Minneapolis. Having spent a few years in Atlanta, the only things I enjoy are the nice people, trees, and fairly decent winter months (dependent on the year). I really only tolerate living there because my parents do, otherwise I would escape.

Minneapolis has all that I want: Four fun seasons, a diverse population, good restaurants, a big airport, good health, etc.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:31 PM

933 posts, read 1,611,006 times
Philadelphia is my favorite city, but it is the only major city I've lived in. I just love everything about it, except the congestion, which is the one thing that keeps me from moving back to the city proper. There are a lot of great neighborhoods, most of the crime that makes headlines is hood rats harming hood rats, the food is everything from working class to world class, and it's all delicious. People from the rest of the country are only starting to learn how much of a foodie town Philly is, but the country will see, Philly phood is phantastic The sports complex is one of, if not the best in the country. The history is matched only by Boston and NYC. The architecture is phenomenal, the skyline is beautiful, public art, several world class museums, frequent large events/concerts, lots of jobs, an awesome night life. I could keep going but this thread isn't asking why. There are plenty of threads for that.

I've visited lots of cities on the east coast and midwest/great plains areas. The only city of those that is not Philly that I'd consider living in is Miami. I'll get out to the left coast for some visiting eventually, but I already know I'm too far politically at odds to ever live there.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:34 PM

432 posts, read 483,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJose View Post
San Jose. It's a world class city!
ahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Old 09-20-2012, 02:36 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,660,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Back Bay of Boston. Walkable city, beautiful architecture and art museums.

Miami was interesting, diverse but very high COL. Although renting is fun if you are in Bay Harbor Islands/Bal Harbor area.
You thought Miami had a high cost of living..... compared to Boston?!?

Old 09-20-2012, 03:08 PM

9,456 posts, read 18,386,007 times
For me, I really enjoyed spending most of my 20's in Seattle. I had a really good life there. It was a nicely sized big city with a fairly big urban and cosmopolitan downtown but also had neighborhoods with elbow room and lots of trees so it's not too much of a rat race. When the sun is shining there (not often, yes I know) I can't think of a more beautiful city in this country.

That's pretty much the only major city I've actually resided in, I was in the burbs of Boston for a long time and Albuquerque isn't major by any stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or