U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 03:38 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,600,845 times

Advertisements

For me, it would be Atlanta. I was trying to get hired by a certain company's Miami office and ended up in their Atlanta office.

I honestly have to say I liked just about everything in metro Atlanta, though all big cities have traffic, sprawl and crime. I liked the housing price/quality, the mix of transplants, foreigners and natives, the big buildings, the heavy-rail transit system, the weather (all around), the pines in the hilly terrain, and the fact that Atlanta, surprisingly, can poke fun at itself. (Some cities can't).

I only put it ahead of LA because I lived in LA growing up, and I think QOL comes at a very high price. So I now vacation in Los Angeles.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-29-2012 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 03:48 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
I've only lived in Montreal, New Orleans. Seattle, Nashville, Amman and Bucharest. I leave it to others to judge which is the best of them.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:59 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,600,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've only lived in Montreal, New Orleans. Seattle, Nashville, Amman and Bucharest. I leave it to others to judge which is the best of them.
To make this relevant to the US, I just changed the title. Of those, I would hesitantly pick Seattle. I would overwhelmingly pick Montreal, but it's 40 miles outside the criteria zone!

Old 03-29-2012, 04:03 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,769,243 times
Back Bay of Boston. Walkable city, beautiful architecture and art museums.

Miami was interesting, diverse but very high COL. Although renting is fun if you are in Bay Harbor Islands/Bal Harbor area.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:22 AM

994 posts, read 1,267,929 times
Philadelphia all the way. It gets a lot of flack for being ghetto, but that's just not true. It all depends what neighborhood you're in. The best, best deal is to live in a suburb right outside because many of them are very, very nice (Montgomery and Bucks Counties are two of the richest in the state).

Philly is like the perfect location. You're a short road trip (1-3 hours) to NYC, DC, the shore, and the mountains (the Poconos). If you need to get far away, there's a major international airport that has planes going everywhere.

With a few exceptions (as is the case in any city), the people are pretty hip. A TON of musicians as well as some athletes and actors came from Philly. There's plenty of gblt pride, and all sorts of ethnic communities. And there are several great colleges in or near the city.

If I hadn't spent so long growing up there, I would gladly choose to live there again. But you know, time for something new.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:22 AM

5,530 posts, read 10,134,238 times
Lived in:

Minneapolis
Chicago
Columbus
St. Louis
Cleveland

My fave is Minneapolis....SLIGHTLY above Chicago, which, although is an awesome town and a "guy's kinda town", is just too aggressive/pissed off/crime-ridden for me at times. Half of my family lives there and/or is from there, and I have a Chicago kind of attitude, but I think Minneapolis is the best place to live because the culture of the city is unique and perfect for me, and the culture of the people aren't too different than Chicago.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:33 AM

635 posts, read 1,278,665 times
Atlanta- wonderful weather year round, awesome people, amazing food, and lots of stuff to do. I miss it, but after that Charleston, S.C. but that's not a major city.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:44 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
So far it would be NYC, Philly and SF. Philly was where I grew up and was happy to return home but these are my three favorites.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:49 AM

398 posts, read 621,468 times
San Francisco, I won't mention the other ones as to not start a "waaaa I can't believe you liked that better than X"

Old 03-31-2012, 10:15 AM

6,433 posts, read 9,950,274 times
Chicago was a personal favorite of mine. It was awesome. I lived in the city but in the university area. It was incredible and something I will never forget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or