U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 06:49 PM

994 posts, read 1,268,186 times

Advertisements

@ckhthankgod: I looked up the demographics of those towns in New York, and I wasn't very impressed. Thanks anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 10:02 PM

29,893 posts, read 27,345,109 times
The Triangle area of NC

Old 04-04-2012, 08:13 PM

56,538 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sade693 View Post
@ckhthankgod: I looked up the demographics of those towns in New York, and I wasn't very impressed. Thanks anyway!
I can see Saugerties. New Paltz is a college town. Cohoes is a blue collar suburb close to those 3 bigger cities, that has a growing Black population and arts scene. Perhaps nicer parts of those 3 cities would work, as the nightlife spots do not close until 4 AM. You may like something like this Albany neighborhood: Center Square Association : HomePage

Lark Street BID :: Welcome

Lark Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Downtown Troy may work too: Troy Business Improvement District :: The Troy Downtown Collaborative

Perhaps the Union Street area of Schenectady too:
Upper Union Street, Schenectady NY - YouTube

Upper Union Street Business Improvement District|Upper Union Street Business Improvement District

http://uniontriangle.org/

Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 AM

Oh, I see. Very nice!

Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 PM

56,538 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Oh, I see. Very nice!
Another area in Upstate NY that has nightlife that late is the Buffalo area. What is also cool about the Buffalo area is that it is right next to Canada. You only have to be 19 to enjoy nightlife over there and cities like Hamilton and Toronto are close enough for weekend trips. You may like a community like Kenmore or some of the nicer Buffalo neighborhood ks like North Park/North Buffalo, Elmwood Village and maybe Allentown. I had 3 siblings attend college in the area and each of them liked it a lot.

Also, with the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area, you are close to 3 sets of mountains and Boston and NYC are only 2 hours away. That is roughly the same distance from Buffalo to Toronto too. I can't forget that if you do the Canada thing, get an enhanced driver's license. It is an alternative to getting a passport, if you don't have one.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:11 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Why don't all you people who are looking for all the same characteristics all get together and go somewhere with a suitable climate and create the city you all want to live in? Instead of expecting all the working stiffs and grunts to create it for you, ready made for you to move into?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:22 AM

719 posts, read 1,311,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why don't all you people who are looking for all the same characteristics all get together and go somewhere with a suitable climate and create the city you all want to live in? Instead of expecting all the working stiffs and grunts to create it for you, ready made for you to move into?
Well happy Good Friday to you too

Isn't the whole point of CD forum to let local experts share their knowledge with people who aren't familiar with an area? Last I checked, no one is forced to answer people's questions on here.
In addition to trying to help people with their questions I also find it very enjoyable to read other peoples experiences in their own areas. There is a wealth of knowledge on these boards and I for one appreciate it

Old 04-06-2012, 10:50 AM

@ckhthankgod: I like the idea of Buffalo! Being that close to Canada would be pretty sweet.

@BigD_JT_14221: Seriously. I'd like to know what made jtur88 so grouchy, but it's all good. I asked a question, and I got 99% great answers. Thanks, guys!

Old 04-06-2012, 12:03 PM

719 posts, read 1,311,281 times
Quote:
@ckhthankgod: I like the idea of Buffalo! Being that close to Canada would be pretty sweet.

@BigD_JT_14221: Seriously. I'd like to know what made jtur88 so grouchy, but it's all good. I asked a question, and I got 99% great answers. Thanks, guys!
Sade - If you have any Buffalo questions, hop over the the sub-forum and ask away. I was born and raised in Buffalo and there are a bunch of great contributors that frequent the Buffalo forum - some locals, some who relocated there from elsewhere.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the tip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.