U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 08:58 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,138,839 times

Advertisements

Wilmington DE is a fairly vibrant DT for a small city
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 09:09 AM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps Oswego NY, which has a big bar scene, a SUNY campus, is right on Lake Ontario and the Oswego River bisects the city of roughly 18,000 people. Oneonta NY is similar, as well as Plattsburgh NY. Corning NY, a city of 10,000 and has a strong influence from Corning Incorporated, has the Gaffer District: Corning's Gaffer District - Corning, New York - Shopping - Entertainment - Museums - Food

Saratoga Springs is another smaller Upstate NY city with a nice and vibrant Downtown: Your Guide To Downtown Saratoga Springs, New York - See What Attractions Downtown Saratoga Has To Offer!

and some others: Downtown Geneva, New York 14456 - The Difference is Downtown!

Canandaigua New York - Your Guide to Beautiful Downtown Canandaigua, NY

Troy Business Improvement District :: The Troy Downtown Collaborative

Downtown Utica Development Association (http://www.downtownutica.com/index.asp - broken link)

About DSIC - About Us - Downtown Schenectady Improvement Corporation

Welcome To Downtown Cortland NY - Home
I Love Glens Falls, NY
Glens Falls NY - See What's Happening Downtown!

More information: Main Street Oneonta NY :: Main Street Oneonta NY :: Life Enjoyed

Historic Owego Marketplace - Have fun Shopping, Dining and Sightseeing in Owego, NY - Events

Binghamton Downtown Incorporated

Home Page | Downtown Albany BID

These have potential: Welcome to Auburn Downtown

Elmira DownTown Development, Inc.

Rome Main Streets Alliance, Rome, New York

Watertown NY Downtown*Business Association - Public Square

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-30-2012 at 09:18 AM..

Old 03-30-2012, 10:32 AM

3,733 posts, read 6,475,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Most of the vibrant walkable small cities and towns I know of are tourist/resort towns or college towns.

Port Townsend, WA
La Conner, WA
Leavenworth, WA
Pullman, WA
Walla Walla, WA
Moscow, ID
Sandpoint, ID
Whitefish, MT
Cannon Beach, OR
Ashland, OR
Fredericksburg, TX
Telluride, CO
Aspen, CO
Cooperstown, NY
Walla Walla is walkable? Hahaha that is for to laugh! Although I will admit that parts of it are, I recall it being pretty spread out. Got lost there once driving around and it wasn't until I found the freeway again that I was able to find my way back to where I should be. Nice town though none the less. Nice neighborhoods and quiet.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:34 AM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Athens, Savannah and probably Charleston qualify as the OP said under 100K in the city proper.

Chattanooga is too large.
Athens, Savannah, and Charleston all have over 100K in the city limits.

But the city limit thing is a bit arbitrary. If Athens weren't consolidated with its county, it would be under 100K. Greenville, SC has a city population of about 60K, but SC has really restrictive annexation laws so it's city limits are artificially small. It has an urbanized area of 400K, an MSA of over 600K, and a CSA of 1.2 million. But its downtown does give you that "small town charm" effect.

http://www.planning.org/greatplaces/streets/2009/

Last edited by Mutiny77; 03-30-2012 at 10:43 AM..

Old 03-30-2012, 02:39 PM

21,182 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
I'd like to know which are the most vibrant walkable small downtowns nationwide which are not automobile centric within the city, or at least still has some semblence of being a nice, walkable downtown despite the urban redevelopment era which created parking lot bombs in many cities.

When I mean vibrant, I mean that many people use it during both the day and night and it is common for people in and around there to do activities like night clubs, cultural activities and many people on the streets walking. Meaning it isn't a ghost town at night, and only there for business people during the day. Also, there are actually people living there like in converted warehouse/factory lofts and charming old historic homes of the 18th, 19th, early 20th century. Hopefully places that are reasonably safe without a too high crime rate.

Can we please keep this about small towns and small cities that have less than 100,000 in the urban city itself? I am talking about less than 100,000 in the actual city, not the MSA or CSA of a city (which would include suburbs attached to that city). That would exclude already big hitters like NYC or DC or common household name cities.

If possible if you have pictures of the actual street view of what is happening and how it looks like up close and personal I'd be very grateful.
Check out Charlottesville, Virginia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wItcZ65rHg

Old 03-30-2012, 04:20 PM

4,448 posts, read 7,515,654 times
Here are some <100K Urban Centers/Non-MSA Small Towns in PA and NJ (including Princeton and Lambertville, NJ, as well, since very little of New Jersey is not included in a major MSA -- you would not know you're in a major MSA in either town, however).

Lancaster, PA
Harrisburg, PA
Bethlehem, PA
York, PA
Princeton, NJ
State College, PA
Bellefonte, PA
Jim Thorpe, PA
Cape May, NJ
Lambertville, NJ
Gettysburg, PA
Lewisburg, PA
Bloomsburg, PA

Last edited by Duderino; 03-30-2012 at 04:36 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 05:20 PM

347 posts, read 716,505 times
Flagstaff, AZ (small city 50k+/-)

Very vibrant downtown; tourist, student, and local supported year-round. Lots of art galleries, restaurants, stores, bars, etc.
http://s14.postimage.org/4as7rpj1t/schart_054.jpg

An extensive "urban trail system"
City of Flagstaff Official Website - Flagstaff Urban Trails and Bikeways Map

And many on-street bike lanes and a definite culture of walking, biking, even cross country skiing to work and around town.

Coming from the rural midwest it was very different for me!

Last edited by JMT; 10-28-2012 at 11:33 AM..

Old 09-18-2012, 06:42 AM

178 posts, read 484,046 times
I will also second the Portsmouth, NH...as I have lived there, and would move back. (Maybe if the Winters were not so cold)

Also a very small one is Doylestown, PA. Historic downtown, restaurants, museums, and very walkable. Very small of like under 10k people, but has a major hospital, and lots of bars and outdoor cafe's and libraries etc. People are out and about in the day and night. Great food too! A tad expensive depending on what you want to do. Similar to a small Portsmouth, NH.

I also like Durham, NH...which is a college town, with in it's own town....it's sort of vast but still has a small downtown. During the day children and families walk around, and at night there are bars open etc....it's is very small, but also close to Portsmouth, and 1.5 hours to Boston. 1 hour or so to Concord, NH.

Also in PA, there is New Hope, great town with lots to do, quaint but vibrant. Very expensive real estate, but also great food, shops, and walkable...And another New Hope type place is Skippack, PA. More upscale, and family or mature/adult audience...where as New Hope would also cater to the teenage crowd.

Portland Maine is great, but not a small enough city for your criteria.

I would love to hear about other suggestions! Doylestown would probably suit my needs, but too close in the extended family department for my liking!

Old 09-18-2012, 06:48 AM

178 posts, read 484,046 times
Portsmouth is also great because it is right on the water, and has docks with boats, Prescott park-a fav of mine, and also bars/restaurants with seating out on the docks over the water of the Piscatiqua.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:21 AM

9,422 posts, read 18,313,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
Portsmouth is also great because it is right on the water, and has docks with boats, Prescott park-a fav of mine, and also bars/restaurants with seating out on the docks over the water of the Piscatiqua.
Another vote for Portsmouth, I use to live 25 miles down the road from there. Indeed Portsmouth has a very charming and walkable downtown and waterfront with an exceptional selection of restaurants, pubs/bars, coffee shops, and small shops and boutiques. It also has a very impressive habor and as well as a large historic district (Stawberry Bank) of colonial homes dating back to the 18th century. Portsmouth is a great place for a pub crawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
Flagstaff, AZ (small city 50k+/-)
Very vibrant downtown; tourist, student, and local supported year-round. Lots of art galleries, restaurants,
An extensive "urban trail system"
City of Flagstaff Official Website - Flagstaff Urban Trails and Bikeways Map
And many on-street bike lanes and a definite culture of walking, biking, even cross country skiing to work and around town.
Coming from the rural midwest it was very different for me!
I'll back this, Flagstaff is really cool and it's in a such a beautiful area. It makes a great base for roadtrips to the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and the nearby mountains right outside of town. It also has its own merrits with a great walkable downtown with old pioneer charm and NAU infuses an eclectic college town presence. I'd consider living there but it gets a little too cold in the winter and a lot of snow.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 09-18-2012 at 08:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.