U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 02:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,831 times

Advertisements

If your wallet allows it I would not overlook Coronado Island California. Granted its right off of San Diego, but it has a small town feel (until everyone comes to Coronado to go to the beach...)
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 06:14 AM

178 posts, read 484,046 times
Ok, I didn't want to do this, but I have to mention one more. That.. I just don't happen to be particularly fond of for personal reasons, but meets most of your ?'s. Doylestown, PA. Downtown-I think a total of only 7,000 pop, but surprisingly VERY VIBRANT and walkable! Restaurants, and bars open, streets filled with people esp nights/evenings and weekends. Shops, things to do, museums 2 very famous ones! Farmers market on Sat. Very safe, yet a variety of people. Cute places to eat and shop, outdoor seating for some of the restaurants. It is a little pricy to live right in town, but some what comparative to the rest of the area PA/NJ. Historic and beautiful old buildings. It's also maybe only a 45-1 hour drive to Philly, so it is close to major city things if need be. It has it's own hospital. Parks and near trails...etc. Has festivals. A library. YMCA. Small town feel though with all that. Larger rural areas surround the town-that are VERY expensive places to live, like old farm like stone houses on rolling acres, picturesque postcard PA. Pretty to drive through.

Just about the perfect place to live. All of the places mentioned I have walked to, so I know they are walkable. Oh, and it does not have the brutal winters like some of the other Northern places mentioned. A good blend of all 4 seasons. The walkable streets are garden filled and quite beautiful with gates and arbors stone walkways etc. I spent a year living there and have family living there who love it!

I am actually visiting today! They have an agricultural school Del-Val, that has "A Day" a big open house type fair open to the public that is great for families to visit.

Check out how many restaurants this place has for such a small town! All of the food has been very good!

Doylestown Borough, Bucks County, Pennsylvania (PA)

Another very similar close by town to this is New Hope, PA. Differences being that New Hope is closer to NJ border, more expensive, a large GBLT population/prominent, some what more of a hippier and liberal vibe. Maybe a bit more touristy.

There are actually many small vibrant towns in this area. Most of them pricy, and housing can be overwhelming! But then again those great small towns in upstate NY and VT are not cheap either! Check out Skippack PA, and Peddlers Village areas.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,520 times
Default Frenchtown, NJ

Walking through Frenchtown, NJ made me want to quit my job and 1 hr commute, and instead rent an apartment in town and become a barista.

Doylestown, PA isn't as great as people make it seem.

Check out:
Lambertville, NJ
New Hope, PA

I also love Lake Placid, NY and the other lake towns nearby.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:33 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Skaneateles, Cazenovia, Hamilton, Lewiston, Brockport, Pittsford(village), Trumansburg, Clinton, Clayton, Alexandria Bay, Sackets Harbor, Nyack and Plattsburgh are some more NY communities that could work.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:06 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,508,827 times
I like cities such as Albany, NY and Eugene, OR. Under 100 thousand population but very urban. There are others.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:05 PM

211 posts, read 434,059 times
Newport, RI, and I also recommend Santa Fe, NM.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:28 AM

177 posts, read 206,529 times
Default Others

Here's a second for Doylestown, PA and Lambertville, NJ.

Some new one's for the list:

1) Woodstock, VT (Woodstock, NY would fit the bill too, I suppose).
2) Rehoboth Beach, DE - very walkable and vibrant. More vibrant, obviously, during the season, but I would live there year round.
3) Cedarburg, WI - I grew up there way back when, and it was named one of the nicest downtown areas a couple years ago.
4) Rhinebeck, NY - weekend visits for NYCers

Last edited by jonthedream; 01-07-2014 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: adding another city

Old 01-07-2014, 02:48 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,475,262 times
Burlington Vt, and Boulder, Co.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:12 AM

718 posts, read 686,348 times
Not sure if it fits the "under 100K" qualification (and I'm too lazy to look it up), but I thought Helena, MT was adorable. And Coeur d'Alene ID has some of the most breathtaking scenery that I've seen in my life. I'm from Seattle, so I know scenic! Spendy, but Sundance, ID is very nice. Oh, and Bend OR.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:13 AM

7 posts, read 17,230 times
Franklin Tennessee keeps making the list. LOVE the place but you will definitely still need a car. Very vibrant, small town feel with dining, specialty shops, and lots of activities but not a lot of practical shopping in downtown. All of the grocery and shopping centers are out by the mall and I-24. VERY congested. It is also a surprisingly expensive place to live to be a small town. Largely because Franklin and its surrounds-Lieper's Fork and all along the Harpeth river- have become a hot spot for country music stars and Nashville's wealthy suburbanites. Still a great little city though, I spend a good deal of time there.

I am also interested in this thread. My husband is looking at either a transfer to Denver or a new job. Given I am not sure I am cut out for the cold, we've been discussing where we would move if it was our choice and I guess it is. I want somewhere walk-able with history, culture, and nature nearby. In other words I want it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.