U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 05:26 PM

551 posts, read 996,339 times

Advertisements

Do you know of what are America's most vibrant, walkable small cities and small towns are?

When I say small cities and small towns that are vibrant and walkable, I am not talking about major cities like NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston or Philly or anything else like that.

I am talking about cities and towns that have small populations that most people commonly wouldn't know about them off the top of their head like the big names like NYC, Chicago, Boston etc unless those people are knowledgable about cities. An example I would think would be Ithica, NY. I never been to Ithica and probably 90% or more of America never even heard of it before, but apparently it has a walkable and sizable downtown which is built to pre-WWII style urban enviornment meaning it isn't an autocentric city like most suburbs built after WWII. Of course I know a city that is small cannot have residents that don't have cars and most will, but at least many basic amenities are available without using a car for every day life even if they have cars to get to other places.

I'd like to know which are the most vibrant walkable small downtowns nationwide which are not automobile centric within the city, or at least still has some semblence of being a nice, walkable downtown despite the urban redevelopment era which created parking lot bombs in many cities.

When I mean vibrant, I mean that many people use it during both the day and night and it is common for people in and around there to do activities like night clubs, cultural activities and many people on the streets walking. Meaning it isn't a ghost town at night, and only there for business people during the day. Also, there are actually people living there like in converted warehouse/factory lofts and charming old historic homes of the 18th, 19th, early 20th century. Hopefully places that are reasonably safe without a too high crime rate.

Can we please keep this about small towns and small cities that have less than 100,000 in the urban city itself? I am talking about less than 100,000 in the actual city, not the MSA or CSA of a city (which would include suburbs attached to that city). That would exclude already big hitters like NYC or DC or common household name cities.

If possible if you have pictures of the actual street view of what is happening and how it looks like up close and personal I'd be very grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 07:13 PM

9,383 posts, read 9,532,267 times
Portland, Maine, although its the center for a fairly large area
same with Burlington VT.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:37 PM

121 posts, read 240,576 times
Syracuse NY is fairly vibrant city for its size with its festivals and has a walkable downtown.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:00 PM

3,733 posts, read 6,476,276 times
Downtown Seattle, including the Seattle waterfront via either Pike Place Market or the Harbor Steps, is very walkable and has all kinds of city things for the day, and clubs at night. It is especially crowded on the weekends. Seattle also has an excellent bus system to get to and from just about anywhere in the city quickly and easily.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:05 PM

56,515 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Perhaps Oswego NY, which has a big bar scene, a SUNY campus, is right on Lake Ontario and the Oswego River bisects the city of roughly 18,000 people. Oneonta NY is similar, as well as Plattsburgh NY. Corning NY, a city of 10,000 and has a strong influence from Corning Incorporated, has the Gaffer District: Corning's Gaffer District - Corning, New York - Shopping - Entertainment - Museums - Food

Saratoga Springs is another smaller Upstate NY city with a nice and vibrant Downtown: Your Guide To Downtown Saratoga Springs, New York - See What Attractions Downtown Saratoga Has To Offer!

and some others: Downtown Geneva, New York 14456 - The Difference is Downtown!

Canandaigua New York - Your Guide to Beautiful Downtown Canandaigua, NY

Troy Business Improvement District :: The Troy Downtown Collaborative

Downtown Utica Development Association (http://www.downtownutica.com/index.asp - broken link)

About DSIC - About Us - Downtown Schenectady Improvement Corporation

Welcome To Downtown Cortland NY - Home

Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 PM

167 posts, read 279,722 times
Boston is considered the best walking city in America. But, it's large and not quiet .

Old 03-29-2012, 10:54 PM

30 posts, read 79,712 times
Do people read before posting? The Op states "I am talking about cities and towns that have small populations that most people commonly wouldn't know about...," then within the first 5 responses, Seattle and Boston are named.... SMDH...

To the OP, the most vibrant small town I've ever visited was Portsmouth, NH. It's incredibly walkable and surprisingly dense for a small town of a little more than 20,000 people. The downtown is lined with bars, restaurants and loft apartments. I'd suggest looking it up for more details.

Last edited by R_U_SERIOUS?; 03-29-2012 at 11:25 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 12:46 AM

29,874 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_U_SERIOUS? View Post
Do people read before posting? The Op states "I am talking about cities and towns that have small populations that most people commonly wouldn't know about...," then within the first 5 responses, Seattle and Boston are named.... SMDH...
THANK YOU. LOL

Asheville, NC and Greenville, SC qualify here.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:54 AM

13,420 posts, read 16,950,133 times
Savannah and Athens GA as well as Charleston SC ... but they are all over 100,000 so never mind I guess?

Old 03-30-2012, 01:11 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,171,285 times
Small cities and towns.

Seattle and Boston are freaking huge!

Come on folks, the premature boosterism is embarrassing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.