U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:08 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,099,062 times

Advertisements

Never speed in virginia or ohio but maryland and north carolina are fine to speed in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 09:37 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,305,504 times
Reckless driving is a judgment call by the police, there would have to be testimony citing exactly what was reckless about your driving, and I think it would be easy to have that thrown out. In most states, reckless driving is a fallback that can be used to find fault in an accident, when there is no clearcut violation of any other traffic code.

For example, yellow caution signs do not have to be obeyed in normal course of driving, but failure to obey one is tantamount to reckless driving in order to attribute a violation if an accident results.

Why would anybody drive 80, regardless of the speed limit? 70 is a pretty liberal speed limit, it is consistent with what the basic traffic flow feels comfortable with, and there is no justification for much tolerance over that.

According to this lawyer, you'd have to be 90/70 in Virginia in order to be prima facie reckless driving:

http://www.vacriminaldefenselawyer.c...ssdriving.html

(This is for information purposes only, and not an endorsement of this attorney.)

Last edited by jtur88; 03-31-2012 at 09:49 AM..

Old 03-31-2012, 02:19 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,231,628 times
I think this whole country has ass-backwards traffic laws. The speed limits are far too low, and drivers going slower than the speed limit I think pose a greater danger than ones that are over the limit. All too often around here, I find people doing 45 mph in the left lane where the speed limit is 60 mph....that's how chain-collisions can occur. I think personally that going 10 mph over the speed limit is less hazardous than going 10 under. IMO, every rural area's speed limit, save in extremely steep grade mountains, should be 75 mph.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:33 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,305,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
IMO, every rural area's speed limit, save in extremely steep grade mountains, should be 75 mph.
Oh yeah? You're in St. Louis, right? Try driving down to Salem ,Missouri, at 75 mph -- good luck on 68 after St. James. That guy going 45 in a 60 is bad enough, now you want him going 45 in a 75, with actual tolerance between 80 and 85. In Texas, even 2-lane farm roads are 70, and very few people drive that fast on them, because they know that it is probably unsafe, and is toomentally exhausting to maintain the constant hair-trigger attention that those speeds require.

If you raise your speed from 60 to 75, that is a 25% increase in the distance your car goes in your reaction time. Which is the same as having enough to drink to slow down your reaction time by 25%. What you want is for all the drivers to have intoxicated reaction distances.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-31-2012 at 02:49 PM..

Old 03-31-2012, 02:34 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,080,949 times
Quote:
I think this whole country has ass-backwards traffic laws. The speed limits are far too low, and drivers going slower than the speed limit I think pose a greater danger than ones that are over the limit. All too often around here, I find people doing 45 mph in the left lane where the speed limit is 60 mph....that's how chain-collisions can occur. I think personally that going 10 mph over the speed limit is less hazardous than going 10 under. IMO, every rural area's speed limit, save in extremely steep grade mountains, should be 75 mph.
In some rural roads like western texas, the speed limit is 80mph with the flow of traffic being 90mph and higher. I think speed limits are pretty worthless, it should be based on the flow of traffic. In most places the flow of traffic is 10-20 mph faster than the speed limit.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Oh yeah? You're in St. Louis, right? Try driving down to Salem ,Missouri, at 75 mph.
This thread mentioned reckless driving on the interstates, so I didn't figure I needed to go and mention that explicitly. Drop the attitude or buzz off.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In Texas, even 2-lane farm roads are 70, and very few people drive that fast on them, because they know that it is probably unsafe, and is toomentally exhausting to maintain the constant hair-trigger attention that those speeds require.
On the 10 from el paso to san antonio (well slightly before SA it changes) the speed limit is 80mph. I drove that road, relaxed at about 100mph with other cars for many hours at a time. I was only slightly going faster than the flow of traffic. Your age is showing in that post, my man.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:04 PM

11 posts, read 18,685 times
Thanks for all the info! I hope my case will either thrown out or reduced to a normal speeding ticket

Old 03-31-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
In some rural roads like western texas, the speed limit is 80mph with the flow of traffic being 90mph and higher. I think speed limits are pretty worthless, it should be based on the flow of traffic. In most places the flow of traffic is 10-20 mph faster than the speed limit.
I agree with this...reason I said the things I said above was because realistically no speed limits will never happen.

The problem I think people don't consider is that there are mainly only maximum speed limits...there's no limit to how slow you can go on roads.

All the time, I see people doing 40 mph in the left lane on interstates...these people need to have their licenses taken away IMO. I would much rather see somebody doing 70 mph in a 55 zone vs. somebody doing 40 in a 55 mph zone, assuming there's no backups, no dangerous weather conditions, etc.

The only time I respect speed limits are when road and weather conditions are dangerous or in rush hour. Other than that, I agree that 10-20 mph over really isn't hurting anybody as long as you have control.

in a perfect world, for good drivers, the speed limit is what you're comfortable with...I tihnk in general the average person can sense acceptable vs. unacceptable. The problem is, as long as there are bad drivers, there will always be speed limits.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
All the time, I see people doing 40 mph in the left lane on interstates...these people need to have their licenses taken away IMO. I would much rather see somebody doing 70 mph in a 55 zone vs. somebody doing 40 in a 55 mph zone, assuming there's no backups, no dangerous weather conditions, etc.
People who drive slow in the passing lane should be shot The only time you should ever find yourself in the passing lane for periods at a time is if you're going so fast no one in their right mind is gonna want to pass you. Even when I'm doing 20mph over and see someone approaching me when I'm in the passing lane, I go to the right and let them pass. Doesn't matter if they need to be 110mph to do that, the passing lane is for passing. That's what keeps the flow of traffic flowing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or