U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 03:26 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,233,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Never speed in virginia or ohio but maryland and north carolina are fine to speed in.
I've sped in Ohio before...I did Columbus to Cleveland on I-71 probably over 20 times doing 72 mph in a 65 zone, and the western Ohio border on I-70 to Columbus with the similar things...most cops I've found in most states on interstates behave the same...typically, if you are going the speed of the rest of the traffic, cops have no basis to nail you unless you are a truck driver. And rarely if ever will you get nailed for doing 10 over, and certainly never 5 over unless you're in a no tolerance zone. THe one place i know of where this doesn't apply is by Lambert-St. Louis international airport on 170...cops will pull you over if you're going over 65 in a 60 zone. 5 mph over though in most cases is not going to get you nailed anywhere in the U.S. that is a no-tolerance zone...my theory from the tickets I've received is that they can't fine people a significant amount to raise money for the state at 5 over, and also because most people drive at that speed. Driving in this country would be a nightmare if people pulled you over in a 60 zone for going 60.2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 03:33 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,082,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I've sped in Ohio before...I did Columbus to Cleveland on I-71 probably over 20 times doing 72 mph in a 65 zone, and the western Ohio border on I-70 to Columbus with the similar things...most cops I've found in most states on interstates behave the same...typically, if you are going the speed of the rest of the traffic, cops have no basis to nail you unless you are a truck driver. And rarely if ever will you get nailed for doing 10 over, and certainly never 5 over unless you're in a no tolerance zone. THe one place i know of where this doesn't apply is by Lambert-St. Louis international airport on 170...cops will pull you over if you're going over 65 in a 60 zone. 5 mph over though in most cases is not going to get you nailed anywhere in the U.S. that is a no-tolerance zone...my theory from the tickets I've received is that they can't fine people a significant amount to raise money for the state at 5 over, and also because most people drive at that speed. Driving in this country would be a nightmare if people pulled you over in a 60 zone for going 60.2.
Just a point (I made this earlier but my post was deleted). The speedometer is designed to over register your speed by about 5 mph. So if your speedometer says 72 you're probably only going 67.

I also never heard of anyone getting a speeding ticket on a highway when they were going less than 80. It may happen every now and then but hopefully not often

Old 03-31-2012, 05:05 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,992,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I think this whole country has ass-backwards traffic laws. The speed limits are far too low, and drivers going slower than the speed limit I think pose a greater danger than ones that are over the limit. All too often around here, I find people doing 45 mph in the left lane where the speed limit is 60 mph....that's how chain-collisions can occur. I think personally that going 10 mph over the speed limit is less hazardous than going 10 under. IMO, every rural area's speed limit, save in extremely steep grade mountains, should be 75 mph.

Speed limits are SUPPOSED to be based on 85th percentile measured vehicle speeds, not the whims of local politicians or police for revenue generation.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Just a point (I made this earlier but my post was deleted). The speedometer is designed to over register your speed by about 5 mph. So if your speedometer says 72 you're probably only going 67.

I also never heard of anyone getting a speeding ticket on a highway when they were going less than 80. It may happen every now and then but hopefully not often

I know drivers who received speeding tickets in Ohio for driving 75-80 in 65 mph freeway zones.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:40 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,082,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I know drivers who received speeding tickets in Ohio for driving 75-80 in 65 mph freeway zones.
I have driven through Ohio a bunch of times and I know they're crazy about tickets. Every time I set my cruise to 80mph (real speed 75mph) and never had a problem.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
I have driven through Ohio a bunch of times and I know they're crazy about tickets. Every time I set my cruise to 80mph (real speed 75mph) and never had a problem.

I never drive slower than 75 (real speed) in Ohio, but I use a radar detector and CB radio and I never got a ticket.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:13 PM

1,256 posts, read 3,539,237 times
Isn;t PA reknowned for giving tickets if you're driving 56 in a 55MPH zone on the way to/from Gettysburg?

I seem to remember one time a hotrod car following us back from that area (bright red - looked like something from an old TV show). I was locked into, like, 54MPH all the way to the border - as soon as I crossed it, the red car turned back.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
Isn;t PA reknowned for giving tickets if you're driving 56 in a 55MPH zone on the way to/from Gettysburg?

I seem to remember one time a hotrod car following us back from that area (bright red - looked like something from an old TV show). I was locked into, like, 54MPH all the way to the border - as soon as I crossed it, the red car turned back.

No. Traffic flows ok on the PA turnpike everytime I have driven it. I also noticed everybody disobeying the 55 mph speed limits when I was out in Philadelphia last November.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:56 AM

11 posts, read 18,697 times
Hi everyone.. jus wanted to update everyone I went to court this morning no lawyer and got my ticket reduced to just speeding without the reckless and still had to pay a fine which was fine by me I just wanted that reckless off of the the thng I believe that saved me was my certified copy of my driving record when they seen I had that they agreed to drop it to a 80/70 speeding ticket so all n all I'm happy n glad its over with and def learned my lesson thank you all for your advice!

Old 04-09-2012, 03:41 PM

28,272 posts, read 26,279,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryland2122 View Post
Hi everyone!

I live in Maryland and was on my way to North Carolina to visit family in a rental car which was a lot smoother than my car and was driving down 81 south a car pulled over to the slow lane and i gently tap the gas and then i was being pulled over!! i have never had any violations and have a clean record.. i am nervous and scared the cop said i was going 87/70 which i do not believe maybe 80 but defiantly don't believe i was going 87 anyhow he did not want to here anything i had to say and gave me a court date and said that this was reckless driving in the state of Virgina i do not have the money for a lawyer but am scared that i will get stuck with this reckless driving charge any advice would be greatly appreciated, i got to court next week and also plan on take my cousin whom was in the car with me as a witness.
Thank you
Christina
It's not that serious. I used to live in DC and have received several tickets in Virginia. Here's what you need to do:

1. Take an online driving course

2. Bring your checkbook

3. Tell the judge you're willing to pay a fine and do whatever it takes to avoid a reckless driving conviction.

The judge will reduce the charge to simple speeding and order you to pay a $200 fine (probably gone up by now) plus $175 or so in court costs. You'll basically come out of your pocket about $300-$400.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or