U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 04:26 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,129,960 times

Advertisements

No matter what part of Virginia you're in, follow the speed limit. Virginia State Police will make use of any opportunity to pull someone over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 10:35 AM

30,347 posts, read 27,813,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryland2122 View Post
Hi everyone!

I live in Maryland and was on my way to North Carolina to visit family in a rental car which was a lot smoother than my car and was driving down 81 south a car pulled over to the slow lane and i gently tap the gas and then i was being pulled over!! i have never had any violations and have a clean record.. i am nervous and scared the cop said i was going 87/70 which i do not believe maybe 80 but defiantly don't believe i was going 87 anyhow he did not want to here anything i had to say and gave me a court date and said that this was reckless driving in the state of Virgina i do not have the money for a lawyer but am scared that i will get stuck with this reckless driving charge any advice would be greatly appreciated, i got to court next week and also plan on take my cousin whom was in the car with me as a witness.
Thank you
Christina
Anyone who is driving even in a different rental car and finds themselves with a ticket for doing 87mph in a 70 should be considered as reckless. There are “other” drivers out on the highway all trying to get someplace safely and speeder don’t help with keeping the highway safe.

Most traffic seems to drive 10mph over any posted limits just because they know that most of the time the officers and the courts will allow a 10 over flexibility in speed. When a driver has exceeded 10 over they are no driving faster than most all other cars on the highway. You’d be passing everyone else on the road, those who are driving the legal posted speed of 70 and even those who are driving at the 10 over speed and doing 80.

If you’re a driver doing nearly 20mph over the posted limits you need to be ticketed and taken off the road for the safety of others who share the highways. Drivers doing that speed are reckless and have total disregard for others.

Pay the ticket and consider it a lesson learned. There is no excuse for driving faster than the other cars on the highway, simply don’t pass everyone else doing the posted speed.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:05 AM

11 posts, read 18,685 times
Hi thanks for u Advice I guess u didn't see my previous post I got it reduced n paid a fine of 225 and 64 for court cost so total I paid 289 and the only thing I took was my clean driving record!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:40 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,327,907 times
My dear Maryland2122...

If it makes you feel any better, the ordeal may have cost you $289 but it has cost the Virginia many countless thousands of dollars as I have just now decided to scratch VA off my list of possible relocation places.

The last time I was in VA, I got pulled over on a highway and the cop said I was speeding. I didn't believe that I was speeding and I have not had a ticket in over 8 years (knock on wood). Luckily I didn't get a ticket. But clearly there is a pattern here and I have no patience for that crap.

I will now +1 your post because it was very helpful to me and my decision.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:12 AM

Hi, glad i was able to help your decision to not relocate to Virgina. I definitly learned my lesson! I don't drive anywhere in Virgina without cruise control!!!! Good luck on moving to a new area!

Old 01-26-2013, 10:33 AM

34,694 posts, read 33,709,656 times
Well, as long as Obamacare doesn't require a higher premium for reckless drivers you should be okay.

You couldn't have been speeding in Northern Virginia. I don't think it's possible.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:22 PM

I love that everyone just gets a kick out of my once and only ticket since I got my drivers license almost 9 years ago which i think its pretty darn good! I was focusing on the road and when the gentleman got over in front of me i tapped on the gas and maybe did it a little to much and boom got pulled over. I feel like the driver in front of me set me up because just about everyone around me was driving at the same speed. Most people know that driving any car besides yours can take a few moments if not awhile driving before you firmly understand the feel of the vehicle, i basically got the car and jumped on the highway, i learned my lesson and went to court like and adult and paid my fine.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:03 PM

13,222 posts, read 17,972,432 times
In Virginia, 80 MPH is "reckless driving." In Texas, 80 MPH is the speed limit. Driving in Virginia is nothing but a game with all the rules rigged in favor of the state police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or