U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 01:07 PM

11 posts, read 18,637 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I live in Maryland and was on my way to North Carolina to visit family in a rental car which was a lot smoother than my car and was driving down 81 south a car pulled over to the slow lane and i gently tap the gas and then i was being pulled over!! i have never had any violations and have a clean record.. i am nervous and scared the cop said i was going 87/70 which i do not believe maybe 80 but defiantly don't believe i was going 87 anyhow he did not want to here anything i had to say and gave me a court date and said that this was reckless driving in the state of Virgina i do not have the money for a lawyer but am scared that i will get stuck with this reckless driving charge any advice would be greatly appreciated, i got to court next week and also plan on take my cousin whom was in the car with me as a witness.
Thank you
Christina

Last edited by maryland2122; 03-30-2012 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 02:24 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,183,245 times
Go to court, tell your side of the story. If you do not seek advice from a lawyer not much else can be done.
You live in Maryland you should no to never speed in Virginia. It is crazy that 17 over would be reckless. If the cop got you on radar there is not much you can do about fighting the speed. But plead your perfect driving record, it was 17 over which is probably not wreckless in Maryland and ask to pay the fine and not have the wreckless.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:37 PM

I did seek advice from a lawyer and they wanted 750 dollars I don't have that kind of money I am 24 and this was my first time driving in virgina he adivsed me that it could go either way I could get it lessened to regular speeding ticket n pay a fine or have the reckless driving charge n pay a fine.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:40 PM

Traffic was really smooth sailing interstate 81 is flat in that area and only two lanes everyone was just driving along and like I said I could of hit 80 but honestly 87 was a little ridiculous this car pulled over to the slow lane and then there I was I tapped the gas a little a was being pulled over I never drove in that area and was following some family down to see other relatives in north Carolina. I wished that they had briefed me on Virgina police! I'm just nervous because I don't want the reckless on my record.. My only fear is that because my kids were in the car they will try and make an example of me but I honesty don't drive like that and have had mupy lincense for 8 yrs going on 9... I hear several horror stories with virgina but also hear that they lie n cheat just to get money and target out of state people!

Old 03-30-2012, 06:04 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,077,441 times
If you're sure you didn't hit 87 then by all means go to court. 99%, the policeman won't. Bring a witness, state the flow of traffic and give the same arguments you gave here.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:20 PM

Ok thank you like I said I'm nervous this is my first time having to deal with anything regarding court I have been sick to my stomach and this has totally consumed me! I appreciate your honesty and forthcoming I will let you know what happens!

Old 03-30-2012, 06:22 PM

Oh and yes my cousin who was riding with me will be attending she thinks I'm over reacting but after this is all said and done with I defiantly will not be driving in virgina again and if I do my cruise control will be on!

Old 03-30-2012, 08:14 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,947,089 times
virginia is notoriously strict on speeding. many people have noticed that we drive closer to the speed limit, yes even in the dc area, than most of the country.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:18 AM

Yeah I get why now like I said I don't travel to or through virgina daily or ocassionally this was my first experience and defiantly a lesson learned so much that I will most likey avoid Virginia at all cost !

Old 03-31-2012, 06:43 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,948,587 times
Virginia has the most ass-backwards highway traffic laws in the United States, and the most overbearing enforcement thereof. When I drive between Pittsburgh and Athens, I thank God that I pass through the narrowest part of Virginia. It's still the longest 68 miles on the entire Interstate Highway System.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or