U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 02:23 PM

774 posts, read 841,357 times

Advertisements

Non-affluent cities/neighborhoods:

-Lots of bail bonds businesses. Some may say check cashing and that's true for many, but I also associate it with working and a few lower middle class areas and, there's a place in Washington, DC right where Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, and the U Street corridor come together, hardly an area that I'd call working class.
-Churches that were once in old movie palaces or community department stores, and a greater-than-average density of worship places overall
-Fried chicken and/or Chinese carry outs is the most popular type of cuisine
-Family Dollar and other dollar stores
-Pawn shops and other thrift stores that sell cheap knockoffs of popular goods
-Lots of trash and sidewalks/streets that are in need of a caulking or have that isolated "new" patch
-Liquor stores that only sell common domestic beer
-Impound lots
-Used car dealers (yes, that may include '90s/early '00s luxury car castoffs)
-Dive bars
-Lots of weeds/overgrown vegetation
-Poor or outdated community services
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 09:07 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,048,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Non-affluent cities/neighborhoods:

-Lots of bail bonds businesses. Some may say check cashing and that's true for many, but I also associate it with working and a few lower middle class areas and, there's a place in Washington, DC right where Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, and the U Street corridor come together, hardly an area that I'd call working class.
-Churches that were once in old movie palaces or community department stores, and a greater-than-average density of worship places overall
-Fried chicken and/or Chinese carry outs is the most popular type of cuisine
-Family Dollar and other dollar stores
-Pawn shops and other thrift stores that sell cheap knockoffs of popular goods
-Lots of trash and sidewalks/streets that are in need of a caulking or have that isolated "new" patch
-Liquor stores that only sell common domestic beer
-Impound lots
-Used car dealers (yes, that may include '90s/early '00s luxury car castoffs)
-Dive bars
-Lots of weeds/overgrown vegetation
-Poor or outdated community services
The city I live in, and lots of others I've been to, has all of these aspects *in certain areas*. Other areas of town have bookstores, high end shops, high end car dealers, expensive restaurants and all that other stuff a previous poster listed. So what does that make MY city (and others like it), Affluent or Non-affluent?

Old 10-22-2018, 08:51 AM

1,814 posts, read 3,424,271 times
Where does this dichotomy leave big cities like New York, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Chicago, Milwaukee, Boston? All have plenty of both— wealthy people, trendy neighborhoods, expensive stores and restaurants, on the one hand, and concentrated poverty, food deserts, ghetto stores, drugs and shootings, on the other.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:53 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,326,456 times
Affluent:
Charlotte
Atlanta
Dallas
Houston
Seattle
Portland
San Francisco
Austin, TX
Charleston SC
San Diego

Non-Affluent

Detroit
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Newark
El Paso
Laredo
Cleveland

Old 10-22-2018, 08:05 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,365,459 times
It’s so funny how depending on where you live and just your background generally, we all have different ideas of what we consider affluent. A lot of the cities listed in this thread I wouldn’t necessarily call affluent.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:48 PM

406 posts, read 288,482 times
Affluent vs Non-affluent cities/satellite cities/big suburbs in the NE:

Affluent:
New York
Nassau County and Hamptons on LI
Bergen County NJ
Westchester
Fairfield County CT
Boston
Philly (specifically Main Line)

Non-Affluent:
Newark
New Haven
Rockland County NY
Passaic NJ
Suffolk County
Scranton

Old 10-24-2018, 04:08 PM

10,553 posts, read 13,116,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Acres Guy View Post
Rich neighborhoods: pretty houses with front porches that on one ever sits on. Poor neigborhoods: not as pretty houses with people on the porches.
Nah, I live in a wealthy neighborhood and people definitely sit on their front porches.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:11 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,372,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Nah, I live in a wealthy neighborhood and people definitely sit on their front porches.
I was going to say I moved to a fairly affluent area of Chicago on the northwest side and there are always people sitting out on their nice porches.

I think a lot of it has to do with climate. I know in hot environments it tends to be people without AC will be on their porches trying to keep cool while those with AC will be indoors.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:24 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,201,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
-High-end hotels like Marriot, Embassey Suites, Hampton Inn Suites, Radisson, Hyatt, etc...
-
There's nothing "high-end" about those hotels.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:44 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,033,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Affluent:
Charlotte
Atlanta
Dallas
Houston
Seattle
Portland
San Francisco
Austin, TX
Charleston SC
San Diego

Non-Affluent

Detroit
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Newark
El Paso
Laredo
Cleveland
Baltimore has way higher incomes than the other non-affluent cities. In fact, per capita income in Baltimore is only 7% lower than Houston's ($27,129 vs. $29,224,) which has been included in the list as a high income city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.