U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 06:38 AM

11,763 posts, read 8,325,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
Seems people have rather differing opinions here lol

When I was in France for example, the few fellow people of my ethnicity that I met, it was like meeting an old friend, we even went out and ate together, even though we barely knew each other, we were just of the same ethnicity. When I saw Americans there it was like seeing any other foreigner, no reaction or feelings of warmth. I also eagerly visited my ethnic group's church there and a few sites related to my heritage.
What is your home country? You seem to be trying very hard to avoid disclosing this. Why?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 07:32 AM

456 posts, read 664,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
What is your home country? You seem to be trying very hard to avoid disclosing this. Why?
Doesn't really pertain to the discussion.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Doesn't really pertain to the discussion.
Sounds like you're not proud if it. Just thought you should know that.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:14 AM

12,344 posts, read 10,336,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblade View Post
I never said I'm looking down on them or think they deserve less of the pie than me or I have less respect for them but they ARE less American than me. My ancestors were risking there lives daily when they boarded THE MAYFLOWER. My ancestors were here and celebrated Thanksgiving when it was first INVENTED. My grandmother met Dr. Martin Luthor King, My Great Uncle campaigned for JFK, my cousins stepfather is a direct descendant of GEORGE WASHINGTON. My family was directly involved, influenced, or affected by every single major event you read about in American History books from the first page to the last. It is offensive to say the son or grandson of an immigrant is as American as me.

You have to be careful when you go down this road and start delineating what makes someone more American than another. It makes me uncomfortable. I think you are an American when you feel stronger loyalty to the US than the country of your ancestors, and you feel in your gut this is your home and you care deeply for it.

Getting into a pis... contest about who was here first and did more doesn't make someone more American in the current sense, imo.

My ancestors arrived here in the 1840's, some earlier. I have an ancestor who fought in the Civil War for the Union. Am I more American than you? You are Southern, and I assume they fought to destroy the Union, no? Maybe you are more of a Confederate American than a real American.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you're not proud if it. Just thought you should know that.
Not proud of what? I just don't see how it adds anything to the conversation.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 AM

12,344 posts, read 10,336,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblade View Post
Because I have family members that descend from men that FOUNDED the United States of America. I descend from Europeans that DISCOVERED America, and I also descend from Native Americans that have lived here as long as human beings have walked this earth. If anyone still alive who you are a direct relative to is an immigrant is should be plainly obvious why I'm more American than you.

I'm not gonna move to your homeland an raise my children and there children there and than claim my grandchildren are just as (country name in here) as you. That would be very disrespectful.

Truthfully I consider Mexican immigrants more American than a European immigrant ever could be. If your a Mexican American you get a pass an I consider you as American as me. If your from overseas forget about it, you will never be as American as me. In 500 years if your family doesn't jump ship and your great times 10 grandchildren have stories that have been passed down from you about what it was like in America when 9/11 happened and when the recession hit they will be as American as me, but you, unless you come from a lineage like me, forget about it. This is my heritage, this is much bigger than me.
Your posts are laughable. What about a Mexican immigrant whose ancestors are from Spain? And obviously with you American means nothing more than being an original native of the entire N. and S continents of America. Talk about a watered down sense of nationhood.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Status: "Love, Goodness, and Kindness Will Prevail . . ." (set 3 days ago)

2,744 posts, read 3,275,593 times
Quote:
This question can be quite controversial, but it's interesting to discuss. When does a person become an American in your eyes? Is it upon getting citizenship, is it upon being well assimilated culturally, is it upon sharing certain views?

What do you feel about dual identities 'e.g Italian-American'? and does that make you less of an 'American'?

Reason this is an interesting question to me is my own case. Though not born here, I grew up in the US in an insular ethnic community. My family didn't interact with Americans very much and by extension me as well. We had our friends from our ethnicity/country that we always interacted with. In a typical week I spoke more of my heritage language than English. I spent several months of the year in my heritage country as all my relatives are there and in a way grew up there in the summers. As a result, I developed a strong sense of identity connected to my heritage. This is the group of people/culture I connect the most with. I am also a dedicated patriot to my heritage country and would fight for it over any other country including US. I also identify myself here and in other countries as just my ethnicity.

There are many people with the case I have and others in a more grey area. What would you say for me case and what would you say in general in terms of this American identity. In Europe, for example, the conception of identity is different as they are not really immigrant countries like of the US.
You would have to first give definition to the word "American." In it's purest sense, American is a generic term for the native peoples of the American continent which extends from Ellesmere Island Canada to Tierra del Fuego Argentina. Anyone having been born anywhere between these two points is rightfully an American.

According to Webster's dictionary, an American is someone born within American continent's Northern, Central (including the Caribbean islands) or Southern regions.

Yet, as we all know, the term is mostly used when referencing the naturally born or naturalized Citizens of the 50 states and outlying territories (i.e., Northern Mariana Islands, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) of the United States of America.

In a narrower sense, being an American could be defined and measured by a person's participation in the general society of the United States of America, and by answering questions, such as:

- do you vote in local and national elections?

- are you able to communicate in the English language?

- do you believe in family values as they are popularly defined?

- do you abide by federal and local laws?

- are you a working member of society?

- do you pay your taxes in accordance to the law?

- do you believe in the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

- are you willing to defend - and if necessary, die for - the preservation of
this country's way of life?

Surely, other questions could be asked.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Not proud of what? I just don't see how it adds anything to the conversation.
France? The Netherlands?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:22 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,268,909 times
Quote:
I think he's just trying to prevent this thread from devolving into people hating on wherever he is from, which inevitably will happen if he does reveal this fact. It's probably better if he doesn't say...

Old 04-03-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I think he's just trying to prevent this thread from devolving into people hating on wherever he is from, which inevitably will happen if he does reveal this fact. It's probably better if he doesn't say...
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.