U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 01:57 PM

398 posts, read 622,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 View Post
Why would you look at rainfall stats for the entire state, instead of Portland specifically?

http://nationalatlas.gov/printable/i...precip_or3.gif
He probably meant the more populated area of the state, and Portland is generally considered "metro Portland"... if coastal Oregon/Washington are anything like coastal California there would be lots of microclimates. Where some places could be almost a perpetual fog, while others could be bright and sunny most of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 04:39 PM

345 posts, read 582,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
I lived in Portland for two years. I had moved there from Las Vegas and in terms of weather the two are complete opposites. I remember sitting in class in early June at PCC and watching it rain outside and the temp would only be about 50 degrees. I worked as a valet in Portland and since I was outside 95 percent of the time for my job the weather was a big factor for me. I got so sick of hearing people tell me, "You just have to wait for the summer." Summer in Portland is basically from Mid July through August and then it goes back to gloom. For some people that's ok but it didn't work for me. I moved to Florida AKA the SUNSHINE STATE and it was crazy how much better I felt in general. In Oregon I would almost feel stressed when the sun was out b/c I was thinking, "the sun is out, I have to do something outside while I can." I picked up about 25 extra lbs while in Oregon due to my lack of physical activity. When I got to Florida I felt a lot more relaxed b/c I didn't feel the sunshine was limited. I also dropped a lot of weight when I left Oregon. I ended moving back here to the Las Vegas area b/c I like mountains and desert and also here THE SUN IS ALWAYS OUT. In all the places I've lived I always hear people complain that it's too hot or too cold etc... I figure you have to pick one HOT or COLD and suck it up b/c the perfect balance is different for everyone and subject to opinion. For me it's always been hot weather.
Like you I also noticed in Portland that everyone is white. I've learned from living in many different cities that if people have to tell you how diverse their city is then it really isn't that diverse. I like the Las Vegas area b/c it has a good mix on the diversity scale. A lot of people move from Hawaii to the Las Vegas area b/c the homes are cheap and the weather is constantly warm. My first job in Las Vegas was working valet at a local night club and I always thought it was funny how many cars w/ Hawaii license plates I parked. Portland has many things that I love about it and I have some really good friends there but for me I can't sit inside 9 to 10 months out of the year due to the constant drizzle and chill. Again for some people this works and for some it doesn't. I would pick two or even three cities you are interested in and go visit them. Good luck in your search and know that you are not the only one who doesn't want to put a Heart in Oregon sticker on your car LOL. There is a really good thread in the Portland section of this forum called, "Leaving Portland, My thoughts on the City." I will post the link below. I would encourage you to read it as it hits on a lot of what you are mentioning here. Have a good one.

Leaving Portland: my thoughts on the city
Wow, good reply thanks! I was wondering how you can handle the heat in AZ or NV did you have to work indoors?

Old 03-31-2012, 04:59 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,992,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
California, the coastline that is, has great weather. 2nd only to Hawaii. the rest of the state not so much.
I am not sure why, but I cant get myself to consider California as a option.
I think I may have read to many comments from jealous people that try to compare there state to Cali and point out how bad it is.
If I could find a city that had half as good the weather as say San Diego yet slower pace I would have moved there by now.

If you were to double all the bad weather days (rain heat cold) I bet San Diego would still be in first place on the continent of the USA. but you get what ya pay for. super over crowed high cost of living.

What great coastline weather? Half Moon Bay always has damp, foggy, cool weather.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:07 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,574,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
High crime rate though...no? What about schools (public, pre-college)?
Crime rate for the city is lower. Now of course as with ANY city there is bad neighborhoods. Indy.gov has a section on its website where it pinpoints incidents so you can easily see the bad neighborhoods.
2nd Schools are some of the best in the state and the Nation.
Carmel/Fishers which are north side suburbs have well acclaimed schools as well as any of the suburban schools. The worse District in the Metro area is the Indianapolis Public Schools which is for the OLD pre consolidated city limits of Marion County or basically Center Township. The outter 8 townships have their own school districts with Washington Township/Lawrence/Franklin/Perry regarded as the best of those 8. As far as college education goes there is IUPUI which is basically Purdue and Indiana University all in one campus located downtown close to the action
We also have the University of Indianapolis and Butler which everyone has heard of due to the Final Four. Plus others that dont come to my mind right away.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:08 PM

345 posts, read 582,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
What great coastline weather? Half Moon Bay always has damp, foggy, cool weather.
OK, maybe not the whole coastline. my point is its hard to beat San Diego weather.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:24 AM

121 posts, read 240,982 times
Believe it or not, damp cold (rain) and 55 F feels more cold than say 35F with dry lake effect snow. Also, cities like in upstate NY know how to handle snowy road conditions very well.

I personally feel if I had to live in cloudy weather, I would probably choose snow over constant rain...

Old 04-02-2012, 11:26 AM

398 posts, read 622,506 times
Quote:
OK, maybe not the whole coastline. my point is its hard to beat San Diego weather.
eh, personally preference, for those who like "air conditioned" weather, then yes... I like it HOT. I think places that are backed off the coast have better weather and don't have to deal with the chilliness/fog. Napa, Livermore.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:44 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,646,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Right.....because Republicans (die-hards, anyways) are SO extroverted!
My white middle class suburb in CA was middle middle class and largely Democrat...Hispanic, Jewish, Italian, Irish and a whole lot more. To the OP, places where the sun shines most of the year tend to have a better "attitude." People are outside doing things instead of at the local coffeehouse with a book. While the PNW probably has one of the more comfortable temperature "bands" for a northern latitude, it can be morose.
Surprisingly, I know some people who transplanted from the PNW to Florida (diametrically opposed) and, despite the humid summer, like it there and have remained. I guess a turquoise colored ocean or gulf can do that to someone.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all your input folks, not sure why the republican demarcate thing got throw in...
Im looking for opinions from people who moved away from here.
thanks again.
Because the PNW is so smugly politically correct and Democrat. When Bush came to the area, the protesters went crazy. I was stopped at a light at the end of a ramp and saw all these anti-Bush signs. (I voted for him the first time and Kerry the second time, so I have no allegiance to either party). However, I was disgusted by the anger displayed by these "stereotypical looking" angry idiots. As the light changed, I rolled down my window and said, "Bush, yeah." A couple of them starting giving me the finger, yelling the F word, that, if the car hadn't been moving, they probably would have struck it with something. Real peaceful, those "granolas?" In the more liberal areas of the PNW, there is a "packaged" knee-jerk hatred of Republicans.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 04-02-2012 at 03:32 PM..

Old 04-02-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I'll give you that...but the fog frequently lifts, and when it does, it's beautiful. That said, the ocean water is relatively cold in Southern California. It's even colder in Northern California and ocean swimming isn't as popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or