U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:42 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,842,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
just thinking about the weather in portland makes me a bit sad inside.
Funny, as a Seattle native and spending the first 30 years of my life there, I always felt the gloom and doom was kind of like a blanket. Comforting and nice. I'm sure others share this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 01:34 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,892,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Funny, as a Seattle native and spending the first 30 years of my life there, I always felt the gloom and doom was kind of like a blanket. Comforting and nice. I'm sure others share this.
While I always enjoy the sunny days, it is very comforting come October when we get a "winter" day where it spits and drizzles and the clouds hang low and it almost feels like night. Everything is right in the world then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
I kinda think warmer weather makes people more hot blooded, and passionate. Cold damp makes me want to stay home and not get into trouble.
One person's "passionate" is another person's "uncouth." I am an extremely warm and driven person, but some of the "hot weather," sun-worshipper types are just unbearable to me. I can't speak to Hawaii as I've never been and I don't know anybody from there, but many of the people who move to the Southwest/California (less so the CA/SW natives) just rub me the wrong way. Side note, I used to see a lot of Hawaii plates in Portland and was always like, "They must be moving out here... What are they thinking??!"

And cold and damp is no reason to stop doing things. As much as I have come to dislike Portland, even it has a lot going for it, even during the dreary months, if you take the effort to search out those things. But many Portlanders tend to put a damper on it all anyway. Everyone seems so miserable and listless most of the time, but this is not how it is everywhere in the Northwest. Seattle, one example. Eugene and Ashland, other examples. This ex-Portlander found that the grass was greener in Seattle.

I'd recommend places like Austin and Denver though. I think they might be good fits. Sunnier weather (though Denver can get really cold), but otherwise similar in size and vibe to Portland. More diverse possibly, but integrated? I can't speak to it so much. California and the Seattle area are the most integrated parts of the country in my experience.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:42 PM

345 posts, read 582,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I'm glad you said "seem." Otherwise, you'd be lying.

I'm sorry you find rain in springtime to be such a bad thing. But there is a reason for the saying . . .

Hope you find somewhere new, and perfect for you, to live soon. We really don't need you to be unhappy here, when so many others can be, and are perfectly happy.
I'm guessing you don't work outdoors?
Do you really really think people complain about the rain because it rains in spring? come on now, you trying to put some spin on that one?

It rains almost every single week (not every day) for most of the year. my house has friken moss on its roof.
I have to wear a rain coat 50% of the time from November thru spring.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:31 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,400,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
It rains almost every single week (not every day) for most of the year. my house has friken moss on its roof.
Absolutely not true. Portland has some of the driest summers in the nation. From City-Data's own statistics, from mid-April to mid-October has precipitation levels below the national average. That's half the year. But yes, the other half, precipitation is higher than the national average. Put together ... the two balance out to make Portland's annual precipitation AVERAGE.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:04 PM

are you people trying to **** me off? OK, fist off I will try and make this so damn clear you can not twist my words around.

1: I know it does not rain in the summer. (i wish it did!)
2: I have no problem with it raining in Spring. I have a problem with having to put on a frickn raincoat on average 3 times a week during the months from November thru April. I have a problem with all my nice tools rusted. I have a problem with mold in and around my home and in my lungs.
If I did'nt work outdoors I would not care if it rained every goddamn day. Working here is like some jackass following you with a water sprinkler "NOT ALL THE TIME" but most of the time OTHER THAN SUMMER.
Clean enough?

Old 04-15-2012, 12:21 AM

7,384 posts, read 13,248,851 times
LOL... oy, he's just nit picking. I don't think he realizes that his post just confirmed exactly what you said, right down to the last line.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:28 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,518,387 times
Really? You move there from Hawai'i and you're complaining about rain? They get tons of thunderstorms there.
Thing about Oregon is it's more of a constant spitting/overcast, not so much heavy rain. Therefore why the average precipitation measurement is lower.
Also, it's tough to make friend if you're new to any place. If you know a couple people before moving to a place, it makes it a lot easier to meet people.
I know Portland is not for everyone, and I'm sorry you were disappointed. You could try Colorado, they have lots of sun even in the winter.
And to the person who suggested Houston: Houston is the sixth rainiest major city in the US, and it gets extremely hot and humid in the summer. Also, on the West Coast our rainy season is in winter, while in Houston it's in summer. Personally, I don't suggest it after living there, but that's just me.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:27 AM

3,376 posts, read 4,832,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I know Portland is not for everyone, and I'm sorry you were disappointed. You could try Colorado, they have lots of sun even in the winter.
And to the person who suggested Houston: Houston is the sixth rainiest major city in the US, and it gets extremely hot and humid in the summer. Also, on the West Coast our rainy season is in winter, while in Houston it's in summer. Personally, I don't suggest it after living there, but that's just me.
That's about the only type of rain I prefer.
Riding along and getting a nice, hot shower during a warm evening.

Pacific NW and CA rain in general tends to feel like I just climbed out of a pool after someone just pushed me into while still fully clothed.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:51 AM

Hawaii has its ups and downs just like any other state. but I never owned a raincoat in the 40 years I lived there.

Folks this topic is taking a turn in the wrong direction. I am not trying to prove Portland has the worst weather. I'm just asking if anyone ever left Portland and actually found someplace to live that they can truly say was better.

I left Hawaii for many reasons, one of which was how small it was. Hawaii is like only eating steak day after day. After 40 years of eating steak and only steak, you crave for something different, even junk food. (and NO I'm not saying Portland is junk food).

After reading so many post here on this web site, places they hype way past the point of being all out BS, then visiting some of the places only to find were major let downs (like Greenville SC) compared to both Hawaii AND Portland. I just don't want to waste another grand and my vacation time seeing for my self how crappy other states really are.

SO, again I ask... IF you moved away from Portland, and found someplace better, please join in the conversation.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
While I always enjoy the sunny days, it is very comforting come October when we get a "winter" day where it spits and drizzles and the clouds hang low and it almost feels like night. Everything is right in the world then.

One person's "passionate" is another person's "uncouth." I am an extremely warm and driven person, but some of the "hot weather," sun-worshipper types are just unbearable to me. I can't speak to Hawaii as I've never been and I don't know anybody from there, but many of the people who move to the Southwest/California (less so the CA/SW natives) just rub me the wrong way. Side note, I used to see a lot of Hawaii plates in Portland and was always like, "They must be moving out here... What are they thinking??!"

And cold and damp is no reason to stop doing things. As much as I have come to dislike Portland, even it has a lot going for it, even during the dreary months, if you take the effort to search out those things. But many Portlanders tend to put a damper on it all anyway. Everyone seems so miserable and listless most of the time, but this is not how it is everywhere in the Northwest. Seattle, one example. Eugene and Ashland, other examples. This ex-Portlander found that the grass was greener in Seattle.

I'd recommend places like Austin and Denver though. I think they might be good fits. Sunnier weather (though Denver can get really cold), but otherwise similar in size and vibe to Portland. More diverse possibly, but integrated? I can't speak to it so much. California and the Seattle area are the most integrated parts of the country in my experience.
Thanks for the reply, I do or did have Aston on my radar, got a online friend there and she is always nice to chat with. Might be way to hot for a outdoor job there, especially in my line of work. I think the reason you see so many Hawaii plates is due to how many people move to Hawaii forcing house prices to keep rising. Raising house prices = higher rents. Higher rents = no money saved up to ever by a house.
Once you do buy a house tho, you could sell it 5 years later and have enough profit to buy another home here in the states out right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or