U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 09:56 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,319,859 times

Advertisements

Sunshine is overrated.

Sure your lungs wont be filled with mold and your tools wont rust as quickly but then you'll be susceptible to skin cancer and sun burns as well as damaging your eyes due to the awful glare that reflects off the car in front of you this time of year. Your A/C will be filling your lungs with dust and other allergens and even though you get lots of drizzle pissy rain, doesn't that beat getting struck by lightning or have damage to your property from hail and strong winds?

Does heat stroke sound like fun? How about a $600 air conditioning electric bill?

Where I live, in GA we get the tornado crap from the middle of the country, although by the time it gets here, it's 3 or 4 in the morning. So you lose a lot of sleep when those storms roll through and they're pretty frightening since it all sounds louder when you're awaken in the middle of the night. You don't know if you're supposed to head to your safe room or just stay in bed. So add sleeplessness to the list of hazards we have in sunshineland.

Sunny areas may also be prone to tropical systems which, take it from me, are no picnic. Plus, stuff just looks prettier in cloudy weather. You can fully open your eyes and take it all in without squinting. AND there's so many more flies and bees buzzing around in the sun. More hazards for ya.

I don't know if I'd trade my climate for yours but I'd sure like fewer sunny days and more rain. We only get rain about once or twice a month here. It's hard to keep the garden alive. Plus I'd love to live where it rarely, if ever, gets about 75 degrees. It's a country of extremes. Get used to it.

I always enjoy meeting someone who enjoys bching about the weather as much as I do.

Last edited by cittic10; 04-15-2012 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 12:31 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,600,845 times
Yes, Portland (and Seattle) may have the greener grass, but, on many levels, the grass is greener elsewhere...

Old 04-15-2012, 12:53 PM

345 posts, read 581,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Yes, Portland (and Seattle) may have the greener grass, but, on many levels, the grass is greener elsewhere...
Were is elsewhere?

Old 04-15-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
Were is elsewhere?
It all depends on you.

For me, LA for the weather, the recreational opportunities, the immense opportunities within a 2 hour driving radius, and the individualism, though living someplace nice is now too expensive. Also preferred Atlanta, which is VERY green, to the PNW because it's less expensive, has a mild fall/winter/spring and feels like an important world-class city without being too dense and being heavily treed...and a few will come along and mention Southern "fake nice" from which you can insulate yourself with transplants very easily. Some coastal parts of Florida, too, for that turquoise bath-water warm ocean that rolls onto the shore like a lake.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Yeah, I actually don't think there is a strong correlation between weather and attitude. Look at the crime statistics: South and Southwest have higher crime than North and Northeast, overall. Some cities where people go to live in "paradise", like LA, SD or Phoenix, have some of the most pi$$ed off residents in this country! My personal favorite: the places with the most aggressive drivers and have the most fatal driving accidents are in places with what most would consider "excellent weather".
How is p!$$ed off measured? I could see p!$$ed off people in an area where they work hard and can't make ends meet, like a service worker in San Francisco. PHX would not be such an area.

Also, they mentioned on some study that "road rage" occurs more often where it is warmer, because people aren't going to do that in sleet and ice. And having driven in it, I'd rather be where the freeways are clear of it virtually year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or