U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 01:23 PM

771 posts, read 1,115,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
I hear you. think this whole "getting over the city" is mostly people from the city. Whereas those of us who grew up in suburbia or the hinterlands know that the grass is not any greener out there (figuratively, that is, I'm from the desert so such analogies are confusing to me). In fact, we probably delude ourselves that city life is way better, when really it's just another variation on the same theme of trying to get by in life.

I think one of my favorite things about city life is it's ok to be in a bad mood. You know what I mean? In non-city places there's often this pressure to act like you're happy all the time, even if you're not.
I disagree. I grew up in the middle of Chicago and everyone I know who was raised in the city HATES the suburbs and would never ever move there. I find it to be more people from the suburbs that come to live in the city and then go back when it's time to have a family. Maybe this is more specific to Chicago but that has been my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 02:40 PM

398 posts, read 622,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I grew up in a rural area. I moved to the city when I was 18, now I am 42 and I still couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Cities are where I belong. Suburbs and small towns are full of "normal people", I don't do well with them and don't feel comfortable in that enviornment.
That isn't true at least in California in my experience... maybe in the Midwest or South. Plenty of kooky/quirky small towns out here though. I'd say many cases they are "weirder" than the main cities. I'd say places out here like Guerneville, Santa Cruz, Sonoma, Sebastopol, Sausalito, Petaluma, Carmel, Occidental, Los Olivos or entire swaths of Mendocino/Humboldt County are "weirder" than say Chicago or Minneapolis, they have way more normal people to me.

Last edited by Lizz0rd; 04-01-2012 at 02:54 PM..

Old 04-01-2012, 02:51 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,900,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
That isn't true at least in California in my experience... maybe in the Midwest or South. Plenty of kooky/quirky small towns out here though. I'd say many cases they are "weirder" than the main cities. I'd say places out here like Guerneville, Santa Cruz, Sonoma, Sebastopol, Sausalito, Petaluma, Carmel, Occidental, Los Olivos are "weirder" than say Chicago, Chicago has way more normal people to me.
Technically, some of those are cities. Santa Cruz is pretty urban and especially their downtown. I think alot of people would consider Santa Cruz a small city. Carmel is even considered a city too. Petaluma and Sonoma are suburbs, but technically a city still too.

In California, a town and city are considered the same thing and then there a un-incorporated communities. Los Olivos would be considered an un-incorporated community and is pretty cool.

Santa Cruz can be considered a small city or college town I guess.

California has alot of very open-minded, liberal places to live. The colleges towns-Davis, Berkeley, Chico, San Luis Obispo, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara. Then there is Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, and Capitola.

Then you have some cool suburbs like Palo Alto, Burlingame, and Los Gatos in the Bay Area. The suburbs in LA and the burbia in Orange County are pretty generic, class-orientated burbs.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
I think you are over generalizing too. Here in the middle of Chicago my mom owns a house with a nice big yard, garden, patio and plenty of birds singing in the morning. It's actually relaxing. My dad also lives in the city, with a big yard, garden, pool, and tiki bar and huge patio. Plenty of birds there too. With the exception of few cities, most cities offer a variety of different experiences,

Cities are not just made up of apartment/condo buildings with no nature. I think it's a little unfair to stereotype like that. Now things like traffic is another story. But when it comes ypto having a yard and hearing the birds sing with some peace and quiet you are way off. it really depends where in the city you live. Here in Chicago as in most cities, you will find plenty of places that are quiet, have nice yards and "nature".
except you still hear police sirens, fire trucks, cars and have people walking by, and the squirrels and rats are eating out of garbage cans instead of up in a tree. The level of background noise is drastically different, and you can't see the full starry sky at night. Then if you walk a few 100 feet, there is somebody else living there. Where as I have a cottage style house on a couple acres, numerous blackberry bushes, pear trees and apple trees and 1/2 mile away are a few cows where my nearest neighbor is, another 2 miles are vineyards, then 5 miles a way is a cute little downtown smalltown, and about 40 minutes away I am coming over the Golden Gate Bridge into SF. So to me, there is quite the difference.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Technically, some of those are cities. Santa Cruz is pretty urban and especially their downtown. I think alot of people would consider Santa Cruz a small city. Carmel is even considered a city too. Petaluma and Sonoma are suburbs, but technically a city still too.

In California, a town and city are considered the same thing and then there a un-incorporated communities. Los Olivos would be considered an un-incorporated community and is pretty cool.

Santa Cruz can be considered a small city or college town I guess.

California has alot of very open-minded, liberal places to live. The colleges towns-Davis, Berkeley, Chico, San Luis Obispo, Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara. Then there is Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, and Capitola.

Then you have some cool suburbs like Palo Alto, Burlingame, and Los Gatos in the Bay Area. The suburbs in LA and the burbia in Orange County are pretty generic, class-orientated burbs.
Yeah well, technicalities aside, I think you know that it is certainly not like small town/cities in Indiana or Arkansas.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
except you still hear police sirens, fire trucks, cars and have people walking by, and the squirrels and rats are eating out of garbage cans instead of up in a tree.
Haha that's hilarious. You hear sirens like once or twice a day even if that...Where my mother and father both live it is very quiet. I have never heard a rat or squirrel eating out of a garbage can. Like I said you are stereotyping and generalizing. It all depends where in the city you live. People that pass by are fairly quiet. I am starting to think you don't understand the different types of neighborhoods cities can have.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Haha that's hilarious. You hear sirens like once or twice a day even if that...Where my mother and father both live it is very quiet. I have never heard a rat or squirrel eating out of a garbage can. Like I said you are stereotyping and generalizing. It all depends where in the city you live. People that pass by are fairly quiet. I am starting to think you don't understand the different types of neighborhoods cities can have.
But that wouldn't be the "city" life I'm talking about, b/c those neighborhoods you are talking about are calm and subdued, far out of downtown, and have little to no nightlife to speak of. In cities that are 50 square imles like Boston or SF, the area you are talking about WOULD be the suburbs... Lots of Chicago feels totally suburban even if it is technically in the city limits. Never seen a squirrel or rat in a city in a garbage can? Trust me, Chicago has plenty of them even if you haven't seen them, that is why there are rat flyers up allover the place in the alleys there.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
But that wouldn't be the "city" life I'm talking about, b/c those neighborhoods you are talking about are calm and subdued, far out of downtown, and have little to no nightlife to speak of. Never seen a squirrel or rat in a city in a garbage can? Trust me, Chicago has plenty of them even if you haven't seen them, that is why there are rat flyers up allover the place in the alleys there.
Talk about assuming. You act as if you know where my parents live. Look up Avondale and Irving Park neighborhoods, That's where they live. Avondale borders Lincoln Park to the southeast, one of the most dense and active nightlife spots. Wrigleyville and Lakeview are literally less than a 10 minute drive from my moms, a loud very active neighborhood. Avondale is a 10 minute drive from downtown without traffic. These neighborhoods are very much within in the city and are vey central. What makes you think they don't have city life to them? Pretty ignorant assumption if you ask me. Avondale has its own nightlife, nothing crazy but borders very active nightlife neighborhoods.

Never seen a rat in a garbage can, rarely a squirrel. Also you said HEARD originally not if I had seen. I don't see rats that often, this isn't New York, and people in Chicago don't spend time in the alley, unless you are homeless.

I was just arguing about your points saying how one can't have a yard or quiet in the city, but you just keep tacking other things on to change the subject. I never said there aren't rats or cities are completely quiet, but you are over generalizing but you cant even admit that.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Talk about assuming. You act as if you know where my parents live. Look up Avondale and Irving Park neighborhoods, That's where they live. Avondale borders Lincoln Park to the southeast, one of the most dense and active nightlife spots. Wrigleyville and Lakeview are literally less than a 10 minute drive from my moms, a loud very active neighborhood. Avondale is a 10 minute drive from downtown without traffic. These neighborhoods are very much within in the city and are vey central. What makes you think they don't have city life to them? Pretty ignorant assumption if you ask me. Avondale has its own nightlife, nothing crazy but borders very active nightlife neighborhoods.

Never seen a rat in a garbage can, rarely a squirrel. Also you said HEARD originally not if I had seen. I don't see rats that often, this isn't New York, and people in Chicago don't spend time in the alley, unless you are homeless.

I was just arguing about your points saying how one can't have a yard or quiet in the city, but you just keep tacking other things on to change the subject. I never said there aren't rats or cities are completely quiet, but you are over generalizing but you cant even admit that.
So you say that Avondale has nightlife, but nothing crazy...That is my point. I know where those neighborhoods are. And no, they aren't nightlife spots, they have a suburban character to them with lots of sfh's.
There are plenty of people in Chicago who cut through alleys walking and such and tons of balconies are alley facing.
It took me 2 seconds to find this picture. And no, Chicago has not near the amount of rats as NYC, but it certainly has them.

I know you have seen these...
Of course I am generalizing, but somewhere like Evanston or Oak Park which are suburbs have more going on than Avondale... Avondale is NOT what I'm talking about when I refer to "city life"...just to be clear. I am talking bustling/noisy areas. You are picking apart my main point with technicalities, when I KNOW you know exactly what my point is. I don't feel I need to list off every neighborhood in every city I would refer to.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
So you say that Avondale has nightlife, but nothing crazy...That is my point. I know where those neighborhoods are. And no, they aren't nightlife spots, they have a suburban character to them with lots of sfh's.
There are plenty of people in Chicago who cut through alleys walking and such.
It took me 2 seconds to find this picture. And no, Chicago has not near the amount of rats as NYC, but it certainly has them.

I know you have seen these...
Of course I am generalizing, but somewhere like Evanston or Oak Park which are suburbs have more going on than Avondale... Avondale is NOT what I'm talking about when I refer to "city life"...just to be clear. I am talking bustling/noisy areas.

Dude I'm stopping right here because If you had ever been to Avondale, you would not say what you are saying. Avondale is dense and active, it just doesn't have a crazy nightlife, there is nothing and I mean absolutely nothing suburban about it. Just because one neighborhood doesnt have crazy nightlife does not make it less city than one that does. Avondale is as much of city neighborhood as Lincoln Park is. I haved lived in Avondale 20+ years so ai know what I am talking about,

If you are talking about bustling noisy areas then say that but dont say cities. To deem Avondale as less of a neighborhood and less "city" because it has less nightlife is pretentious and offensive. You obviously have a skewed idea of what city living is. Its like saying Queens or the Bronx really aren't "city"because they lack the nightlife that Manhattan and Brooklyn have. You seem to have a narrow criteria of what you define to be"city".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or