Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 12:01 AM

398 posts, read 751,097 times

Advertisements

A lot of people grow up outside big cities, then go live in it for awhile... at what age did, or does it get old for you? Or does it never get old?

Personally I was pretty much over it at 27 and left. I still go into the city and like being in a major metro, but actually living there day in and day out got old to me after awhile though was certainly fun for years.

This was not that I got married and moved the burbs, or anything like that... just in general that lifestyle became unappealing.

Likewise I know people still in their 40s living it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 02:56 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
I'm 34, and I'd say only within the last two years or so that I'm really craving more elbow room. My tollerance for riff raff is wearing thinner lately. I still need the elements of city life (selection of stores and restaurants and jobs mainly), would just prefer a much smaller metro area. I love having a little city life with wide open spaces on the periphery.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:04 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,202 times
i'm 21 years old and i'm from the suburbs of dc. never lived in the city before but i always used to want to either live in dc or nyc. only in the last year or so have i woke up and realized that my quality of life in the suburbs is much better that what i'd have in the city. i get a nice yard with green grass, a garage, a pool, deck with a grill of course, workout room, pool table, air hockey table, a ping pong table, and my own man cave full of redskins and caps gear. i wouldn't have any of that in the city. i have absolutely no desire to live in the city at all anymore.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:33 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
I did the city for a while moved out and now back again. Not sure I was ever over it but enjoy cty and non city aspects; dont think it has to be an either/or

Also I spend a good amount of my summer at the beach so maybe that is my balance.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I was ready to leave New Orleans when I was 28, and I never went back to a city again. When I worked in Kansas City, I lived 30 miles out.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I did the city for a while moved out and now back again. Not sure I was ever over it but enjoy cty and non city aspects; dont think it has to be an either/or

Also I spend a good amount of my summer at the beach so maybe that is my balance.
What drew you back? Were you far removed from a city entirely? A summer at the beach would definitely help to balance it. In actuality, and this might not be true for others is that a lot of us back then didn't actually leave the city all that much.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I was ready to leave New Orleans when I was 28, and I never went back to a city again. When I worked in Kansas City, I lived 30 miles out.
Yeah I was just about 28 myself. Sometimes I am pulled to it when I start thinking I am bored, but then I start thinking of the other aspects and it keeps me put.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:53 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
A lot of people grow up outside big cities, then go live in it for awhile... at what age did, or does it get old for you? Or does it never get old?

Personally I was pretty much over it at 27 and left. I still go into the city and like being in a major metro, but actually living there day in and day out got old to me after awhile though was certainly fun for years.

This was not that I got married and moved the burbs, or anything like that... just in general that lifestyle became unappealing.

Likewise I know people still in their 40s living it up.

I was a child of a traditional neighborhood and the city. My parents lived in apartments up until we afford a house. After that, alot of crap happened, divorce yadda yadda, and years later we end up in the city. We lived in the hoods of the city first (which was pure HELL) and then moved to downtown area. It was great. However, it was a STRUGGLE for a family. Especially when you don't have a car. Whoever says you can live off public transportation obviously doesn't have kids. It was EMBARRASSING to walk the streets of the city with a bunch of bags and groceries in hands to our apartment. Stores like Walmart were in a completely different section of the city which we had to take the subway AND bus to get there. Then we had to do the same thing coming back with bags in hand. Not to mention the fact that we had a little baby (my baby brother at the time) in a carriage! People thought we were poor.

Years later, we moved back down south and got a house in suburban Texas. I was sold. It was HUGE. 5-bedrooms with a backyard, front yard, garage, the works. I could not believe it. Everything was safe and quiet in that neighborhood. The city was great too. But the house and the space and everything about it was just incredible. Because it had been so long since I had that. We spent 3 years in the city from hell holds to the downtown and we were always in the toilet financially. So coming from that to having this big ol' house and space in Texas just changed my views. But even then, I still had plans to move back to the city because I thought that's what I liked. Like all teenagers.

During our time in Texas, we once traveled to New York to visit family. I had been to NYC before and had a great time. But now I was going to see it again and experience it a bit more. I was NOT impressed. I had always thought I would go back to the city. But I found out that I didn't want to deal with it. The rude and aggressive attitude, the congestion of cars and life EVERYWHERE, the dirtiness, the crime. I said to myself "How on Earth do people live here?" And ever since then I knew that I could never live in the city again. And I was 15. I still feel the same way. I've traveled to Paris, back to Chicago, Montreal, Miami, etc. you name it. I've had enough of the rat-race crap. Once you get spoiled of having your own home, in a nice neighborhood, with peace and quiet, there's no going back. Now I plan on living in a high end HOA gated community one day.

Last edited by allenk893; 03-31-2012 at 10:21 AM..

Old 03-31-2012, 09:59 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,824,413 times
I am a life long resident of Seattle, born and raised. I will be 27 years old this month. I've been sick of living in the city and wanting to leave it for years, and the longer I'm here the more I want out. Working on making it happen, just hoping it doesn't take too much longer!

There are things I will miss about living here for sure, and will be back to visit for more than just family and friends after I leave, but actually being in the city itself won't be one of those things.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I had been to Brooklyn before and had a great time. But now I was going to see it again and experience NYC a bit more. I was NOT impressed. I had always thought I would go back to the city. But I found out that I didn't want to deal with it. The rude and aggressive attitude, the congestion of cars and life EVERYWHERE, the dirtiness, the crime. .
I've had that same epiphany. Needless to say it is impossible to live that 18-25 or 18-30 whatever stretch of your life again... You look at the city with different eyes, at least if you've been out of it for awhile, and at least for me. I have some family that are life timers though, they are retired and still living in the city, but they don't have an option to move anymore either. Their SS pays a lot of the bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
I am a life long resident of Seattle, born and raised. I will be 27 years old this month. I've been sick of living in the city and wanting to leave it for years, and the longer I'm here the more I want out. Working on making it happen, just hoping it doesn't take too much longer!

There are things I will miss about living here for sure, and will be back to visit for more than just family and friends after I leave, but actually being in the city itself won't be one of those things.
That is about how I felt, I had wanted to leave at least a year before then and planned my escape route by lining up an opportunity elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.