Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 04:35 AM

29 posts, read 43,716 times

Advertisements

Hey.
I am thinking about moving to the USA since I started my college 2 years ago. Although before I do it, I need to finish my college first and get a profession.

The point of this question is to find out from natives, which city/state would be the best place to "start my american dream".

Okay first of all I would like to tell U some facts.
Polish-americans and Poles represent more than 3% of total american society (+/-10mln ppl while in Poland there are almost 40mln people). Main concentrations of polish-americans:
Northeast, mostly Chicago (1,3mln! It could be the second biggest polish city behind Warsaw), Milwaukee & Detroit, New York, Denver, LA, Seattle and Pensylvania.
Overall polish-americans live in the entire US.

So should I follow this tip while I decide where to move??
Or not?

I've read a lot about US cities, states, coulture, economy and life but it can't be compared with opinions of people who live there.

Of course this thread is not that serious at this moment. I mean, I wonder at which city/state I should focus more.

What are Your suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by USAfanfromPoland; 03-31-2012 at 05:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 05:15 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I'm sure you know obtaining a visa is a difficult proposition, though I'm sure you've investigated what's involved. It might be an easier transition to move to one of the larger US cities which are diverse and have some reminders of the Polish culture. You're also most likely to find a job in some of the larger cities as language skills beyond English are always an advantage. I would think depending upon your choice of occupation that the New York City area might be a good place to focus. Living in the city itself can be quite expensive but there are safe/decent areas just across the river in New Jersey or in the NYC borough of Queens that are easily subway accessible into Manhattan. Good luck!

Old 03-31-2012, 06:37 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,438 times
I agree with the previous poster who suggested focusing on a larger city, if you are interested in being able to surround yourself with as much Polish culture as possible. I am of Polish descent (2 generations removed from Poland), and from a very small city in the northeast. My city has had a Polish neighborhood since at least 1900 (actually before 1900, I think). That neighborhood includes Polish social clubs and a primarily Polish Catholic church. However, over the last ~20 years or so, most of the old timers have passed away and their children & grandchildren have move on. People not of Polish descent have moved in, which has dramatically changed the character of the old neighborhood. Most of the Polish folks remaining in the area are at least 2 generations removed from Poland, so their culture is much more 'middle American' than it is Polish. It is still a nice neighborhood - but it no longer feels Polish. I have family of Polish descent scattered from Mass to Wisconsin and they tell me things are the same in their areas. So I think a big city will be your best bet for Polish culture.

However, if you're looking for a completely new environment, it's a big country! In that case, focusing in on what area is best for your career may be a good idea.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:43 PM

93,334 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Just to add, Buffalo also has a pretty big Polish population. Many live in Lackawanna and Cheektowaga, while you still have some die hard folks in the old Polish neighborhoods on Buffalo's East Side. Other places in Upstate NY like New York Mills, Yorkville, Johnson City, Syracuse's Park Avenue and Lincoln Hill neighborhoods, Northwestern Auburn and some others are areas with high Polish populations.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:28 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Detroit's Polish population has really spread out in recent years. There used to be big enclaves of Polish neighborhoods, but the younger generations have left for more suburban areas and have been slowly replaced by other ethnic groups.

However, it's very hard to live around metro Detroit and not meet a Polish person. On the one hand, they aren't really confined to a single area, but on the other hand, they've mixed in pretty well with the general population (which includes a host of other ethnicities).

Old 03-31-2012, 07:38 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Let me take a different approach. Seattle is very tolerant of different cultures and has become an international city. Seattle has a strong Russian population. Polish, too, but probably not as much as Russian. Not sure if the two are similar, but just for your information.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:10 PM

53 posts, read 136,112 times
3% sounds small, but there are 12 million Americans of Polish decent, myself included. Only about 500,000 actually speak Polish. I didn't believe it, but I met a few guys while in the Army from the Chicago area who did. If you're looking for Poles who speak Polish who can help you integrate Chicago seems like the best choice. Be careful though, stray into the wrong neighborhood and gangs of feral Bantus will tear you apart, especially someone who does not know American nuances well. Best to avoid troublesome areas.

I live in a town north of Baltimore, near Pennsylvania, far enough from the trouble. There are a lot of Poles, Russians and Ukrainians in all of Baltimore's suburbs (both recent immigrants and 3rd and 4th generation Americans). Recent Eastern European immigrants tend to work in the building trades (home repair, plumbing, electrical, tiling, that sort of thing). Anyone who wants to work can find employment in any field in which you have a skill.

Ohio and Indiana have rural clusters of Poles. Wisconsin has a Polish population too, but I have no family who live that far West. The state capital, Madison, is prehaps 15% Polish. It would be hard to find a town or city outside of Chicago with such a high percentage. Most Poles who immigrate to the US tend to integrate smoothly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edit: Ckhthankgod and Animatedmartian are correct about Detroit and Buffalo as well. Most hard-working/intelligent/family-oriented/safety-minded people have been pushed out into the suburbs of most major American cities. Cohesive communities are hard to find. I have never been to Detroit, but would visit Buffalo to see a "friend" from time to time. Chicago does have a Polish community, I had never heard Polish spoken so openly except a couple rare moments in the barracks. If you're throwing darts at a map I honestly suggest you go to Chicago, then figure out what to do from there. Baltimore or Pittsburgh are also fine choices and employment if plentiful for those willing to actually work.

Last edited by W-74; 03-31-2012 at 08:21 PM..

Old 03-31-2012, 11:25 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
In Chicago and New York you are most likely to find other Poles to speak with in Polish and shops that have Polish goodies. At the same time, you can totally immerse yourself in the cosmopolitan American experience in these cities.

That said, there is even a small native Polish community (very small, maybe a dozen?) here in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:46 AM

29 posts, read 43,716 times
Woww, thank You soooo muuuuch guys. I wasn't expecting so many responses!
I really appreciate it! You guys just confirm my observations, Americans are open and friendly people.
Of course I know that I have to avoid certain places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.