U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 07:55 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,229,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
This statement means out of the "major" cities like NYC DC LA SF ... out of those, Chicago is the most american...by no means is it more so than somewhere like Des Moines though, it's pretty diverse.
I can't argue with that logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 08:11 PM

22,142 posts, read 23,668,851 times
You should seriously reconsider Seattle since this is over the summer, especially if it is late summer (what months will you be there?). At that time Seattle is at its very best with clear skies and warm temperatures. The city itself is fantastic, and its big drawback is the weather--however, that's exactly what you won't be experiencing during the summer. University of Washington is also a fantastic school.

The same goes for Portland, though Portland feels smaller and quainter.

Either one of these are great summer choices--you'll also be a short hop away from Vancouver and Victoria in Canada which are wonderful places to visit as well.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:20 PM

3,733 posts, read 6,481,559 times
^ yes, mid July through mid September showcase Seattle's finest, warmest, driest weather. However June and early July (save for the 4th... lol) can also be pretty nice here.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:41 AM

21,193 posts, read 30,379,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkraki View Post
Thanks for the advice I'm not sure Loyola is only minutes from downtown (I read that it's like a 30 min transport) but I hope you're right when you say that it's not really a problem.
It is 30 minutes to "downtown" but the point was that Chicago's downtown isn't it's draw in terms of entertainment districts. The North Side is where many hang out, and neighborhoods like Lakeview, Wrigleyville and Lincoln Park are much closer to Loyola and have a lot to offer in terms of things to do.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:53 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,034,383 times
Well the last time I checked Chicago was not considered a mid-sized city. With this logic why not consider NYC. It has some of the best schools in it's metro. Best public transit in the country!
You should consider NYC also, it's a great place to be in the summer.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:40 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,947,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Well the last time I checked Chicago was not considered a mid-sized city. With this logic why not consider NYC. It has some of the best schools in it's metro. Best public transit in the country!
You should consider NYC also, it's a great place to be in the summer.
Affordability would be a critical difference between the two cities, though an NYC summer would indeed be a cool experience if you could manage it.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:12 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,185,811 times
I can't believe someone above said Chicago's summer weather is great. Chicago in the summertime is as hot and humid as H!!! unless you're directly by the lake. It's a great city, though - and you won't have any problem finding friends your age if you're at Loyola. If you go there you'll have to spend much of your time on the lakefront - or else in the city, perspiring.

D.C. is interesting but if you don't like hot weather you would die there in the summer. It makes me shudder just to think of it.

I love Seattle, as many of the posters do, it's wonderful in the summertime! Although if you're looking for an "American" experience, Seattle is more uniquely Seattleish while Chicago is more Americanish.

What about Milwaukee? It's just as hot and humid as Chicago, but it's smaller, easier to make your way around in, and is really an interesting city. I spent a summer there and had an absolute blast! The big university there is Marquette. There's a free summer music festival on the lakefront that is really fun.

Has anyone else suggested Salt Lake City? It's gorgeous in the summer, big and friendly, and uniquely weird. I spent a year there and loved it, too. The U of Utah is there, and if you live in the U neighborhood you'll have a good time.

What about Madison, WI? Wisconsin is BEAUTIFUL in the summertime, and Madison is, for students, about the most fun place ever. I didn't like it as a working professional, but for students it is wonderful. Madison's official population is 234,626, so it's right in your population range. I bet you would love it - plus, it's in the middle of the country and you can take all kinds of side trips in a day or two.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:29 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,378,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkraki View Post
Hi everybody,

I'm going to do a summer course at a university in the US this summer (1 months). I'm from Europe and I have never been to the US before so now it's about time!

I have been admitted to a course at Loyola University in Chicago. I have read a lot about American cities and it seems that Chicago is a cool place in the summer. I'm not too sure about the university though and it seems that the campus and housing (near Rogers Park) is quite far from central Chicago. Would that be a problem?

I'm worried that Chicago is just too big for me and that it would be hard for me to meet people to hang out with. But I don't know if I should worry about that.

Do you have any other suggestions to where I could go? I'll list my preferences:

- Mid-size to big city. Preferably no less than 250.000. All depends on the feel of the city. Maybe it's easier to meet people in a mid-size city than in the hustle and bustle of Chicago?
- A lot of young people
- Decent nightlife
- Decent transport system (or walkable/"bikeable" city)
- Nature and water - At least green parks to sit in
- High diversity - I would prefer not to live in a 90-95% white town. I would like the city to have a good percent of african americans too.
- Friendly residents

I had also thought about Washington DC (too expensive schools), New Orleans (too hot), Austin (too hot) and San Francisco (no courses in my field).

I will be grateful for any help and advice at this point
Chicago would be fine for meeting people, and visiting in summer would be perfect. The weather during the summer is normally pretty great. Mid 80's for temps with a breeze. It's been known to get hot and humid now and then due to the always changing weather....but if it gets hot and humid in Chicago it's going to be even worse basically everywhere east and south of the city (most of the population of the USA). There are lots of beaches in the city, and the lake is huge and cools things down nicely. It really is a great summer city.

There are tons of festivals, and the whole north side is full of hundreds of thousands of transplants from other areas who are normally pretty open to making new friends as well. Loyola is right on the Red Line, which will take you directly downtown. It's about a 30 minute ride to downtown, but most of the areas young people hang out are between Loyola and downtown, not as much downtown itself. So it's not like you're out of the way or anything, you're basically right in the area you're going to want to be in anyway.

Chicago is a huge city, but it's a "city of neighborhoods", and you're going to find most people stick to their little area and it can seem much more managable and smaller feeling at times than if you only think of it that you're in a metro of 10 million people. It's also a good city if you'll be here without a car. Downtown has a ton of highrises, but the rest of the city is pretty low-rise and isn't as "in your face" huge.

I'd say go for it if you're already accepted. It's a fun city for a summer, and there are direct flights from the airports that can take you to most other southern/eastern cities in around 1-2.5 hours.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:35 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,229,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I can't believe someone above said Chicago's summer weather is great. Chicago in the summertime is as hot and humid as H!!! unless you're directly by the lake. It's a great city, though - and you won't have any problem finding friends your age if you're at Loyola. If you go there you'll have to spend much of your time on the lakefront - or else in the city, perspiring.

D.C. is interesting but if you don't like hot weather you would die there in the summer. It makes me shudder just to think of it.

I love Seattle, as many of the posters do, it's wonderful in the summertime! Although if you're looking for an "American" experience, Seattle is more uniquely Seattleish while Chicago is more Americanish.

What about Milwaukee? It's just as hot and humid as Chicago, but it's smaller, easier to make your way around in, and is really an interesting city. I spent a summer there and had an absolute blast! The big university there is Marquette. There's a free summer music festival on the lakefront that is really fun.

Has anyone else suggested Salt Lake City? It's gorgeous in the summer, big and friendly, and uniquely weird. I spent a year there and loved it, too. The U of Utah is there, and if you live in the U neighborhood you'll have a good time.

What about Madison, WI? Wisconsin is BEAUTIFUL in the summertime, and Madison is, for students, about the most fun place ever. I didn't like it as a working professional, but for students it is wonderful. Madison's official population is 234,626, so it's right in your population range. I bet you would love it - plus, it's in the middle of the country and you can take all kinds of side trips in a day or two.
Hot and humid my rear end. You don't know what hot and humid is. Compared to where I live, Chicago is paradise in the summer.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:22 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,947,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Hot and humid my rear end. You don't know what hot and humid is. Compared to where I live, Chicago is paradise in the summer.
I think the general consensus is that Chicago summers are "good enough", especially given the chance to take a cool dip at the lake, and the fun contrast with the rest of the year in Chicago (which is also beautiful to some of us).

That said, heat is something to be aware of. You're going to enjoy it a lot more if you have a place with air conditioning (not a guarantee), so be sure to check on that if you think it might be a problem.

And the same goes for New York or pretty much any other American city outside of the Pacific coast or high mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.