Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:34 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,644,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I can't believe someone above said Chicago's summer weather is great. Chicago in the summertime is as hot and humid as H!!!
Well, not really. It's definitely feels hotter and more oppressive than just about anywhere west except maybe Arizona but people with cold winters like THAT. Living in the midwest you look forward to the warm, humid days of summer. There is a reason the summertime is the most alive season in Chicago even though spring or fall on paper are considered more comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 03:46 PM

771 posts, read 1,387,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Well, not really. It's definitely feels hotter and more oppressive than just about anywhere west except maybe Arizona but people with cold winters like THAT. Living in the midwest you look forward to the warm, humid days of summer. There is a reason the summertime is the most alive season in Chicago even though spring or fall on paper are considered more comfortable.
Chicago summers are amazing. All this talk about horrible summers in The Chi, are from people who have never been there or spent not enought time. Chicago comes alive in the summer and the streets are filled with life all day long. If it was that oppressive people wouldn't be out and about. They would be indoors like they are in Houston, Phoenix, Las Vegas, etc. those are truly oppressive summers.If you can't handle aChicago summer you can't handle most major cities in the WORLD then.

I understand why people talk about Chicagos winters, but summers?! Come on, let's not be ridiculous.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:36 PM

6,895 posts, read 7,524,969 times
I spent most of my summers growing up visiting relatives in Chicago. 17 years of that! I love the city, but for those of us who can't abide hot and humid, Chicago isn't fun in the summer unless you're right on the lake. I still remember spending summer evenings sweltering in my great g's apartment in the Hyde Park neighborhood.

Salt Lake City is gorgeous in the summers - not too hot and NOT humid at all. And Madison, though it does get humid, isn't nearly as hot as Chicago.

But I'm not a Chicago hater. LOVE it in the winter!

Old 04-01-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I spent most of my summers growing up visiting relatives in Chicago. 17 years of that! I love the city, but for those of us who can't abide hot and humid, Chicago isn't fun in the summer unless you're right on the lake. I still remember spending summer evenings sweltering in my great g's apartment in the Hyde Park neighborhood.

Salt Lake City is gorgeous in the summers - not too hot and NOT humid at all. And Madison, though it does get humid, isn't nearly as hot as Chicago.

But I'm not a Chicago hater. LOVE it in the winter!
Chicago is not THAT humid. Granted there are days here and there that are very uncomfortable, but Chicago has beautiful summers. You must be easily sensitive to heat because I really am and don't find Chicago summers to be bad at. All.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:19 PM

6,895 posts, read 7,524,969 times
Opinions iz opinions iz opinions. I've shared mine, you've shared yours, now let's hear from someone else!

Old 04-01-2012, 05:27 PM

I am just saying that there are extremely few major cities that have cooler summers in the U.S. than Chicago. Really only those in the PNW and those further north than Chicago (which are few) have cooler summers. Most cities in the U.S. are either hotter or just as hot in the summer in Chicago.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:41 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,289,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
If you can't handle aChicago summer you can't handle most major cities in the WORLD then.
Depends what you're comparing to. Most European cities are quite cool, though there can be a lack of air-conditioned relief when a heat wave strikes.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Depends what you're comparing to. Most European cities are quite cool, though there can be a lack of air-conditioned relief when a heat wave strikes.
Well, half of europe gets hotter than Chicago while the other half is cooler. A city like Milan would be very comparable to Chicago in the summer, anything south would be hotter, anything north of the alps much cooler.

I never lived with AC and while there have been some nights I spent in Mississippi I kinda wished I had it for the most part you get used to the heat really fast. I never tried to sleep in the cold without heat but I'd imagine that besides being uncomfortable it would also be dangerous.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:28 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,289,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Well, half of europe gets hotter than Chicago while the other half is cooler. A city like Milan would be very comparable to Chicago in the summer, anything south would be hotter, anything north of the alps much cooler.

I never lived with AC and while there have been some nights I spent in Mississippi I kinda wished I had it for the most part you get used to the heat really fast. I never tried to sleep in the cold without heat but I'd imagine that besides being uncomfortable it would also be dangerous.
Depends how cold you're talking. You could probably do 50ish (NorCal) without heat and no real health consequences, but of course it wouldn't be fun. Then again, Mississippi without AC does not sound fun either. Ugh. And the problem is that heat actually gets in the way of sleep, whereas cold promotes it, up to a point.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Depends how cold you're talking. You could probably do 50ish (NorCal) without heat and no real health consequences, but of course it wouldn't be fun. Then again, Mississippi without AC does not sound fun either. Ugh. And the problem is that heat actually gets in the way of sleep, whereas cold promotes it, up to a point.
I remember doing some hiking in Norcal, getting rained on and the night time temps falling into the 30s. I was MISERABLE and couldn't sleep. The cold has a way of getting into your bones and wearing you down.

I agree 50s/60s is the best for sleeping. But I don't think that's very cold and even then you're gonna curl up in a blanket. If you're sleeping outside without anything even a 80 F can feel cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.