U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:34 AM

5,530 posts, read 10,135,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
were you in Austin last summer?
I've been there a few times, and even in April, it can be miserably hot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 07:35 AM

771 posts, read 1,112,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Seriously. If one is going to troll they should at least sound somewhat intelligent, not looney crazy stupid.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 AM

10,779 posts, read 9,415,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
The simple fact that you call Austin summers dry (maybe it was last year but it's not like that every year) throws your credibility out the window.

Austin has nude beaches, that's great. What makes you think that is a selling point for the OP? I am sorry but Lake Michigan and it's beaches are far superior than anything that Austin has. Nothing against Austin I love it. Nice try.
I've been in Austin 8 years and yes Austin is dry. I've lived in humid places like Louisiana so I have something humid to compare it to.

I mentioned nude beaches because they are common in Europe. The OP is a girl, she might be used to going topless in Europe and they don't allow it here. She could do it at Hippie Hollow or Barton Springs in Austin.

I disagree that Chicago trumps Austin even in the summer. There are so many unique settings and swimming holes in Austin you wouldn't believe.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
It's April and the weather is gorgeous in Austin right now... You are silly.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkraki View Post
Oh, btw... I'm a girl!

But thank you for all your advice. It is a very interesting read! So far it seems I'm sticking with Chicago

Does anyone have advice on finding a place for the summer in Chicago? I can live at campus (Fordham Hall) but I'm really not feeling the 30 min transport to the city... I was thinking of finding a place at Lincoln Park or somewhere around that place (a place that has young people and a nice vibe). I'm more than willing to share a place with someone (or a lot of people).
It looks like you had already made up your mind, enjoy Chicago. Just remember that there is a lot more to the US than Chicago.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:34 AM

8,001 posts, read 16,052,716 times
I know that the city itself isn't quite as big as you're looking for, but Newport, Rhode Island may be a great choice for the summer.

Newport is a VERY busy place in the summer and the population from June-August is much larger than the average of 25,000 (it's closer to 100,000 in the summer). It's also part of the Providence area which has over 1.6 Million people. Newport is more vibrant and active in the summer than many cities with populations of 500,000 or more

Newport is the perfect seaside city. It's very walkable, has great beaches, restaurants, bars and clubs. It's also within easy distance of Providence and Boston for when you want to get out of town a little bit. New York City is only 3.5 hours away. Newport has a large international population during the summer between the university (Salve Regina) and students coming from abroad for seasonal work.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I've been in Austin 8 years and yes Austin is dry. I've lived in humid places like Louisiana so I have something humid to compare it to.

I mentioned nude beaches because they are common in Europe. The OP is a girl, she might be used to going topless in Europe and they don't allow it here. She could do it at Hippie Hollow or Barton Springs in Austin.

I disagree that Chicago trumps Austin even in the summer. There are so many unique settings and swimming holes in Austin you wouldn't believe.
She is going to be here for 1.5 months, I think she will do just fine without a nude beach for that time period....

There are so many unique beaches, festivals and streetlife that Chicago has in the summer that Austin cannot top. Does Austin have the amount of different festivals that Chicago has in the summer? No. Does Austin have a variety of different beaches that Chicago has? No. You are forgetting the beaches of Michigan, Indiana and Wisconsin are all less than an hour away. The OP is wanting to do more than just go swimming in the summer. Since that is the case, Chicago is an amazing summer city, with great beaches, nightlife, festivals, events and city life that few cities have in this country when it comes to summer.

If you truly think Austin summers are more comfortable than Chicago summers, you are completely delusional. Think what you want to think though. Continue trolling.

Haha anything compared to a Louisiana summer is dry, even a Miami one. You are picking quite possibly one of the most humid places in this country to compare to Austin. Yeah, ok. NIce try again.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:54 AM

Austin average summer highs: June: 92, July: 95, August: 96, September:95

Chicago average summer highs: June: 81, July: 85, August: 82, September: 75

Your are so right, Chicago summers look so much more uncomfortable than Austin summers....

Old 04-03-2012, 09:41 AM

398 posts, read 621,605 times
Austin definitely feels dry to me also... But I grew up in a tropical humid climate, so...

I'd pick Chicago summer over Austin though, easily.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:13 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,135,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Seriously. If one is going to troll they should at least sound somewhat intelligent, not looney crazy stupid.
What on Earth are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.