U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 12:14 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,147,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I've been in Austin 8 years and yes Austin is dry. I've lived in humid places like Louisiana so I have something humid to compare it to.

I mentioned nude beaches because they are common in Europe. The OP is a girl, she might be used to going topless in Europe and they don't allow it here. She could do it at Hippie Hollow or Barton Springs in Austin.

I disagree that Chicago trumps Austin even in the summer. There are so many unique settings and swimming holes in Austin you wouldn't believe.
I wouldn't go there -- Chicago's beaches are amazing!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
It's April and the weather is gorgeous in Austin right now... You are silly.
Nobody calls me silly!

Old 04-03-2012, 12:41 PM

11,179 posts, read 22,397,366 times
Quote:
I would think anywhere on the West Coast, climate-wise would be best for the OP. Anyplace from San Diego on up to Seattle has excellent summer weather. I think anywhere in the CO Rockies would be great climate-wise as well. The problem is that the OP wants a good university as well. So that narrows things down to coastal CA to tell you the truth.

If you don't have A/C, Chicago is just as miserable as anywhere else, whereas you can do the West Coast without A/C and still be comfortable. Even Sacramento has a better summer climate than Chicago. I remember having windows open in mid summer in Sacramento and getting nice cool air pouring in yet sweltering in an un-airconditioned dorm room in Pittsburgh in late August. Yes Sacramento is much hotter in the day, but it's not humid.

If you have A/C in your apartment (which the OP may be averse to since he's European, but if he can get adjusted it would open up other areas), then places like DC become much better places IMHO than Chicago. There are so many museums, the nightclubs are far better, the cuisine more varied, and real (ocean) beaches are nearby DC. I spent a summer near there and it was one of the best summers of my life.

With A/C, that opens up cities like Austin, which were discounted but really, I find the dry heat of Austin to be more tolerable than places like DC even. Austin has plenty of lake area activities, including nude sunbathing, which as a European you wouldn't be able to get anyplace in Chicago along the lake but Austin has it, and it has ice cold springs to cool you off on even the hottest summer days (Barton Springs). The people are friendly and the nightlife is bustling and Austin is far cheaper than DC or Chicago.

So I'd recommend West Coast, DC, or Austin for the OP, assuming the OP wouldn't mind getting an apartment/dorm room with A/C.
I can't tell if you have a big problem with Chicago, or are just extremely mis-informed on the city. A large majority of apartments in Chicago have AC. All public spaces will. I can think of maybe 3 people I've known who didn't have AC in the 11 years I've been here, and all of them were in very cheap places on the ground floor next to the lake. They chose not to, as you can almost always just rent an AC unit for the window for $30 a month or so from your landlord if there isn't one already.

Chicago seriously isn't that humid in the summer, and this is coming from someone who HAAAATES humidity. There are certainly periods of time where the humidity creeps up into Chicago and the upper Midwest, but for the humidity and heat to get to Chicago, it normally has to travel through the rest of the southern/eastern USA. People who think Chicago is humid are normally people from the Southwestern USA where the humidity is much lower than the rest of the country.

I really wouldn't chose Austin just because it has a nude beach. I've been to Europe a few dozen times and I think the people there can handle 1.5 months without being topless just to hang out in Austin. I'm also confused when DC got better nightlife and food options than Chicago. I'm not even trying to boost Chicago up, but some of your comments just seem like you don't know anything about the place.

Austin is a nice city, but to tell someone they should choose Austin over Chicago in the summer for anything to do with weather is just insane.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkraki View Post
Oh, btw... I'm a girl!

But thank you for all your advice. It is a very interesting read! So far it seems I'm sticking with Chicago

Does anyone have advice on finding a place for the summer in Chicago? I can live at campus (Fordham Hall) but I'm really not feeling the 30 min transport to the city... I was thinking of finding a place at Lincoln Park or somewhere around that place (a place that has young people and a nice vibe). I'm more than willing to share a place with someone (or a lot of people).
You can check out the Chicago forum, which has a ton of options. It wouldn't really be a 30 minute transport TO the city, as you'll already be in the middle of the city itself at Loyola, you just won't be in the downtown area.

Lakeview might be a good option, along the Red Line just north of Lincoln Park. It's huge with transplants and young single people (thousands of apartments), there are hundreds of bars and restaurants, tons of festivals going on during the weekends, baseball games, the lakefront/parks/beaches are just a 10-15 minute walk away in many areas, it's safe, lots of train/bus access. I assume you won't have a car, which will make Chicago much cheaper and stress free to move around. Lakeview and Lincoln Park is where you'd probably be spending a lot of your free time as a younger person in school. Downtown of course is also just a 15-20 minute train ride away.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I can't tell if you have a big problem with Chicago, or are just extremely mis-informed on the city. A large majority of apartments in Chicago have AC. All public spaces will. I can think of maybe 3 people I've known who didn't have AC in the 11 years I've been here, and all of them were in very cheap places on the ground floor next to the lake. They chose not to, as you can almost always just rent an AC unit for the window for $30 a month or so from your landlord if there isn't one already.

Chicago seriously isn't that humid in the summer, and this is coming from someone who HAAAATES humidity. There are certainly periods of time where the humidity creeps up into Chicago and the upper Midwest, but for the humidity and heat to get to Chicago, it normally has to travel through the rest of the southern/eastern USA. People who think Chicago is humid are normally people from the Southwestern USA where the humidity is much lower than the rest of the country.

I really wouldn't chose Austin just because it has a nude beach. I've been to Europe a few dozen times and I think the people there can handle 1.5 months without being topless just to hang out in Austin. I'm also confused when DC got better nightlife and food options than Chicago. I'm not even trying to boost Chicago up, but some of your comments just seem like you don't know anything about the place.

Austin is a nice city, but to tell someone they should choose Austin over Chicago in the summer for anything to do with weather is just insane.
The people in Chicago without A/C live in the ghetto and dropped like birds when killer heat waves moved in during the 90's. Although it's no Texas, you SHOULD have A/C if you live in Chicago!! I'm sorry though, Chicago can and does FREQUENTLY get humid. It's not New Orleans, but few places are, so stop using that as a benchmark everyone! I say dewpoints over 60 starts to feel "sticky", and I don't know this off the top of my head, but I'd be willing to venture that the avg. dewpoint in July in Chicago is probably close to 60. Midwestern cities ARE humid during the summertime, just like they are warm/hot. They just get what the South gets 9 months of the year.....but only for 3 months -- just like the South gets pleasant drier air 3 months a year while the North gets it 9 months a year. This isn't just true for Chicago, but any city from Minneapolis to Boston, north of say, Columbus/Indy (Cincy, DC, STL, and KC are sort of between North and South when it comes to weather).

Old 04-03-2012, 02:27 PM

771 posts, read 1,115,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
The people in Chicago without A/C live in the ghetto and dropped like birds when killer heat waves moved in during the 90's. Although it's no Texas, you SHOULD have A/C if you live in Chicago!! I'm sorry though, Chicago can and does FREQUENTLY get humid. It's not New Orleans, but few places are, so stop using that as a benchmark everyone! I say dewpoints over 60 starts to feel "sticky", and I don't know this off the top of my head, but I'd be willing to venture that the avg. dewpoint in July in Chicago is probably close to 60. Midwestern cities ARE humid during the summertime, just like they are warm/hot. They just get what the South gets 9 months of the year.....but only for 3 months -- just like the South gets pleasant drier air 3 months a year while the North gets it 9 months a year. This isn't just true for Chicago, but any city from Minneapolis to Boston, north of say, Columbus/Indy (Cincy, DC, STL, and KC are sort of between North and South when it comes to weather).
I don't think anyone is saying that Chicago is not humid or doesn't get really hot at times. I came to defend Chicago because people were saying the Chicago summers are oppressively hot and humid. Some days are uncomfortable and other days are extremely comfortable, but Chicago does not get that uncomfortable. I agree that AC is a must, but you will find that in the summer there are plenty of days your really don't need it. Chicago summers are not dry but they are not extremely humid like some people are making it to be.

Also houses get a lot hotter too because many are made of brick. Buildings in Chicago are built more to keep in heat because of our truly cold winters. So if you don't have AC it can be uncomfortable, but you aren't going suffer horribly either. You would be fine except and days that are out of the norm out, which are here and there but nothing too common.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:24 PM

10,827 posts, read 9,447,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I disagree that the North gets "pleasant" air 9 months of the year. The temps in Chicago are probably only "pleasant" in May, June, and September if you look climate wise. However, July and August are warm and humid but doable with A/C. October and April are pleasantly cool, November and March are uncomfortably cold, and December to February are bitterly cold, the type of cold I absolutely despise.

In the South, "pleasant" weather is March, April, May, October, and November (5 months versus 3 up north). Hot and humid is June through September. Pleasantly cool is December through February. So you get 8 months of awesome weather and 4 months of hot weather and during those 4 months, at least 2 of them are hot elsewhere east of the Rocky Mountains. So you get basically 10 months of weather that is comparable or better than the eastern half of the country. Only June and September are worse than most of America as even up north is hot in July and August. That's why the Sunbelt works for many people.

The West Coast is a different story. Seattle is better June through September but worse the other months (4 months good, 8 bad), San Diego/LA is better weather than the rest of the country all year.

Those that hate heat have only one option, the West Coast, with the added benefit of milder winters than back east too...

Those that like warmer weather have anywhere along the sunbelt to choose from.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I disagree that the North gets "pleasant" air 9 months of the year. The temps in Chicago are probably only "pleasant" in May, June, and September if you look climate wise. However, July and August are warm and humid but doable with A/C. October and April are pleasantly cool, November and March are uncomfortably cold, and December to February are bitterly cold, the type of cold I absolutely despise.

In the South, "pleasant" weather is March, April, May, October, and November (5 months versus 3 up north). Hot and humid is June through September. Pleasantly cool is December through February. So you get 8 months of awesome weather and 4 months of hot weather and during those 4 months, at least 2 of them are hot elsewhere east of the Rocky Mountains. So you get basically 10 months of weather that is comparable or better than the eastern half of the country. Only June and September are worse than most of America as even up north is hot in July and August. That's why the Sunbelt works for many people.

The West Coast is a different story. Seattle is better June through September but worse the other months (4 months good, 8 bad), San Diego/LA is better weather than the rest of the country all year.

Those that hate heat have only one option, the West Coast, with the added benefit of milder winters than back east too...

Those that like warmer weather have anywhere along the sunbelt to choose from.
July and August are in the mid 80's normally, that's pretty pleasant for most people. I HATE hot weather, but I still love July and August. It only creeps into the 90's maybe 10 times along the lakefront each year, and well over half the summer I don't use AC. November and March are highs from 40's to high 50's. I wouldn't call them uncomfortably cold.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 AM

771 posts, read 1,115,258 times
Quote:
July and August are in the mid 80's normally, that's pretty pleasant for most people. I HATE hot weather, but I still love July and August. It only creeps into the 90's maybe 10 times along the lakefront each year, and well over half the summer I don't use AC. November and March are highs from 40's to high 50's. I wouldn't call them uncomfortably cold.
Same here. I suffer from heat. I actually don't wear a jacket when it's 50 degrees because I get to hot! My body doesn't handle heat well. So the summers here are not that uncomfortable in Chicago. I actually went to LA and San Diego for two months from July to August back in 2009 and I found the summers to be almost the same as in Chicago. In fact, LA was a little uncomfortable, not much, but slightly. San Diego was the most comfortable out of three, but not by much. They were all very similar.

I actually only turn the AC only to go to bed. It's not on that often during the day.

I had family move from Puerto Rico to Chicago and they have told me they are in love with Chicago summers. It's like heaven to them. Now Puerto Rico, that is a place that has oppresive summers. Chicago summers can get hot, but 85% of the time it is very nice.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:16 AM

10,827 posts, read 9,447,536 times
Quote:
I consider high 40's to be uncomfortably cold, as that means the night is upper 20's or lower which is bitterly cold to me. It is in the low 60's in January in Austin for the average high. Now that is nice for mid winter. The nights are still cold in the 40's so heat is needed even in Austin, but many days the heat is not on even in the winter. So yes you get days you don't need A/C in the summer in Chicago and we get (more) days we don't need heat in the winter in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.