Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 11:14 AM

771 posts, read 1,387,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
So you're mostly from the south? The south gets hotter and stickier than the north but it's not as bad as MIA imo.
? Ponce is much drier than San Juan. The heat in Ponce is pretty hot but it's much drier than SJ. San Juan = Miami in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 11:17 AM

Anyway I am not going to keep arguing this. This is the wrong thread for this and I have work to do.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:18 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,644,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
? Ponce is much drier than San Juan. The heat in Ponce is pretty hot but it's much drier than SJ. San Juan = Miami in the summer.
SJ get's more rain but it's also a lot windier and cloudier. Helps keep the feel of the air cooler. Like I said, I've been cold laying out in the beach in the summer when clouds blocked the sun.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
SJ get's more rain but it's also a lot windier and cloudier. Helps keep the feel of the air cooler. Like I said, I've been cold laying out in the beach in the summer when clouds blocked the sun.
Ok.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:19 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,820,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I disagree that the North gets "pleasant" air 9 months of the year. The temps in Chicago are probably only "pleasant" in May, June, and September if you look climate wise. However, July and August are warm and humid but doable with A/C. October and April are pleasantly cool, November and March are uncomfortably cold, and December to February are bitterly cold, the type of cold I absolutely despise.

In the South, "pleasant" weather is March, April, May, October, and November (5 months versus 3 up north). Hot and humid is June through September. Pleasantly cool is December through February. So you get 8 months of awesome weather and 4 months of hot weather and during those 4 months, at least 2 of them are hot elsewhere east of the Rocky Mountains. So you get basically 10 months of weather that is comparable or better than the eastern half of the country. Only June and September are worse than most of America as even up north is hot in July and August. That's why the Sunbelt works for many people.

The West Coast is a different story. Seattle is better June through September but worse the other months (4 months good, 8 bad), San Diego/LA is better weather than the rest of the country all year.

Those that hate heat have only one option, the West Coast, with the added benefit of milder winters than back east too...

Those that like warmer weather have anywhere along the sunbelt to choose from.
Because you have ZERO tolerance for rangy temps means your definition of "pleasant" is going to be a tad different than most peoples', and most people find temps from 50-85 pretty moderate. For the North, temps stay in this range a good 7-9 months of the year in many places.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:29 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,779,707 times
Quote:
You're like a delicate tender flower 40s uncomfortably cold, 80s uncomfortably hot

40s are fine if you dress for it. 80s are beautiful.
I live in Austin and I hike in 100 degree weather, come on out and show me if you can hang with that

We are talking about a girl from Europe that is wanting a mild summer destination. So let's work with those parameters. Or do you not understand the nature of the OP's request?

Old 04-05-2012, 02:07 AM

546 posts, read 1,171,082 times
I think you should stick with Chicago. You said you'd be there for quite a while. I think if you're gonna be there for a long time, you should choose a big city like Chicago. It isn't too big, and midwesterners are generally quite friendly people. You can make friends easy there. Also, if you're gonna stay for a long time and I assume you probably wouldn't want to get a car then Chicago would be good because with a smaller city, there'd be much less to explore. If you want to stay without a car, bigger cities are better because there are more choices and places to explore in case you get bored with where you reside at and close by places. Smaller cities I feel do not have the critical mass you need for live without a car. So my feeling is that you might get bored with a smaller city after a while, and bigger cities will let you get bored much slower as there are more and more activities and places to go than a small city. Also, Chicago is quite cheap compared to many other cities like you listed such as Washington DC. You can easily get from where you're staying at to central Chicago by train.

I strongly recommend you stick with Chicago but if you still don't like to be there, you might look into Minneapolis or Portland, Oregon. However, Portland might not be very diverse as it is one of the more white cities in America. I don't know if they'd have your field for college. You could also try Denver as well. Although Denver might not have the best transit system so you might want to be careful, if you want good transit only the big cities have those. Portland, Oregon has good transit for the small city of its size. Seattle may also be good and I know it has a lot of young people too I think. Ask other people about cities like Minneapolis, Portland, Seattle or Denver and I am sure some can give some good advice concerning those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.