Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:43 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times

Advertisements

I would think anywhere on the West Coast, climate-wise would be best for the OP. Anyplace from San Diego on up to Seattle has excellent summer weather. I think anywhere in the CO Rockies would be great climate-wise as well. The problem is that the OP wants a good university as well. So that narrows things down to coastal CA to tell you the truth.

If you don't have A/C, Chicago is just as miserable as anywhere else, whereas you can do the West Coast without A/C and still be comfortable. Even Sacramento has a better summer climate than Chicago. I remember having windows open in mid summer in Sacramento and getting nice cool air pouring in yet sweltering in an un-airconditioned dorm room in Pittsburgh in late August. Yes Sacramento is much hotter in the day, but it's not humid.

If you have A/C in your apartment (which the OP may be averse to since he's European, but if he can get adjusted it would open up other areas), then places like DC become much better places IMHO than Chicago. There are so many museums, the nightclubs are far better, the cuisine more varied, and real (ocean) beaches are nearby DC. I spent a summer near there and it was one of the best summers of my life.

With A/C, that opens up cities like Austin, which were discounted but really, I find the dry heat of Austin to be more tolerable than places like DC even. Austin has plenty of lake area activities, including nude sunbathing, which as a European you wouldn't be able to get anyplace in Chicago along the lake but Austin has it, and it has ice cold springs to cool you off on even the hottest summer days (Barton Springs). The people are friendly and the nightlife is bustling and Austin is far cheaper than DC or Chicago.

So I'd recommend West Coast, DC, or Austin for the OP, assuming the OP wouldn't mind getting an apartment/dorm room with A/C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 09:04 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
the dry heat of Austin
???

Old 04-02-2012, 09:07 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
???
were you in Austin last summer?

Old 04-02-2012, 10:49 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,912 times
Maby Denver or Boulder

Old 04-03-2012, 04:34 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,305 times
Quote:
I would think anywhere on the West Coast, climate-wise would be best for the OP. Anyplace from San Diego on up to Seattle has excellent summer weather. I think anywhere in the CO Rockies would be great climate-wise as well. The problem is that the OP wants a good university as well. So that narrows things down to coastal CA to tell you the truth.

If you don't have A/C, Chicago is just as miserable as anywhere else, whereas you can do the West Coast without A/C and still be comfortable. Even Sacramento has a better summer climate than Chicago. I remember having windows open in mid summer in Sacramento and getting nice cool air pouring in yet sweltering in an un-airconditioned dorm room in Pittsburgh in late August. Yes Sacramento is much hotter in the day, but it's not humid.

If you have A/C in your apartment (which the OP may be averse to since he's European, but if he can get adjusted it would open up other areas), then places like DC become much better places IMHO than Chicago. There are so many museums, the nightclubs are far better, the cuisine more varied, and real (ocean) beaches are nearby DC. I spent a summer near there and it was one of the best summers of my life.

With A/C, that opens up cities like Austin, which were discounted but really, I find the dry heat of Austin to be more tolerable than places like DC even. Austin has plenty of lake area activities, including nude sunbathing, which as a European you wouldn't be able to get anyplace in Chicago along the lake but Austin has it, and it has ice cold springs to cool you off on even the hottest summer days (Barton Springs). The people are friendly and the nightlife is bustling and Austin is far cheaper than DC or Chicago.

So I'd recommend West Coast, DC, or Austin for the OP, assuming the OP wouldn't mind getting an apartment/dorm room with A/C.
lol, Chicago summers are miserable now? I know that this is a matter of opinion and all, but sometimes people gotta realize they're such in the minority that they shouldn't advertise their opinion as something other people would agree with. Most people in Chicago love the summer, and look forward to it more than any other season. Most people in Chicago don't have AC because there is simply no point. The average summer day in Chicago is mid 80s F which is simply beautiful with the humidity that it gets.

Austin is plenty of humid in the summer and definitely hotter than Chicago though you're most likely to get a place with AC. Austin is actually a good recommendation for someone coming to the USA for 1.5 months (the best in Texas imo) but it's still hotter than Chicago.

As far as Denver, really? Yea, Denver is a cool little city. I'm sure the guy will have fun in Denver but Denver is known for its skiing (whose going to go skiing in her off season where the few resorts that are open, probably only a basin, close by the afternoon) or bother hiking in the brief 1.5 months that he has, especially since he has no car? I think people are just recommending where they think they'd prefer to live and not taking into account this guy is essentially a tourist for 1 month who wants a lot of things to see.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:11 AM

6 posts, read 7,853 times
Oh, btw... I'm a girl!

But thank you for all your advice. It is a very interesting read! So far it seems I'm sticking with Chicago

Does anyone have advice on finding a place for the summer in Chicago? I can live at campus (Fordham Hall) but I'm really not feeling the 30 min transport to the city... I was thinking of finding a place at Lincoln Park or somewhere around that place (a place that has young people and a nice vibe). I'm more than willing to share a place with someone (or a lot of people).

Old 04-03-2012, 07:17 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,666 times
Chicago is awesome, you're gonna like it. I am European, lived in Wisconsin and visited plenty of times.

If you stay on campus it will be very convenient for you to go to class.. depends on how many classes you have. Also, most of your classmates will probably be staying in the area. If you decide to not choose university-provided housing I strongly recommend to wait until you're there to find a place to live. Never ever rent a place without having seen it first. Craigslist is a good website to find places to live but be aware of scams. I think there is also some kind of international house for students in Chicago, perhaps that's an option, too.

It is definitely more of a hassle to find a place by yourself, especially if you're just staying short-term. Many people will not be willing to have a roommate just for a month or two and many landlords want lots of pieces of information from you that you can't provide as a foreigner who just arrived.
So, I personally would recommend housing that is provided by the university because that way you don't need to worry about anything. Most dorms will have rooms shared by two people though. A 30 min ride on the L to downtown is still decent enough.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:19 AM

771 posts, read 1,395,458 times
Quote:

You can keep bashing Chicago, but it seems like the OP is set to go to Chicago.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkraki View Post
Oh, btw... I'm a girl!

But thank you for all your advice. It is a very interesting read! So far it seems I'm sticking with Chicago

Does anyone have advice on finding a place for the summer in Chicago? I can live at campus (Fordham Hall) but I'm really not feeling the 30 min transport to the city... I was thinking of finding a place at Lincoln Park or somewhere around that place (a place that has young people and a nice vibe). I'm more than willing to share a place with someone (or a lot of people).
You can get a lot more insight in the Chicago forum from people on where to live.

Anyway, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, Bucktown and Ukranian Village IMO are the best places for someone like you to live. Lincoln Park is the most expensive (and pretty expensive).

Have you looked at exchange programs? My mother does them. It's for people who are interested in practicing English and they come and live with the host family for a month or two, which seems like the amount of time you are planning to. You don't have to be in school or anything like that.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
were you in Austin last summer?
The simple fact that you call Austin summers dry (maybe it was last year but it's not like that every year) throws your credibility out the window.

Austin has nude beaches, that's great. What makes you think that is a selling point for the OP? I am sorry but Lake Michigan and it's beaches are far superior than anything that Austin has. Nothing against Austin I love it. Nice try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.