Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:50 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post

I had family move from Puerto Rico to Chicago and they have told me they are in love with Chicago summers. It's like heaven to them. Now Puerto Rico, that is a place that has oppresive summers. Chicago summers can get hot, but 85% of the time it is very nice.
No, they are very pleasant. Maybe only a little bit hotter than Chicago (if you're on the atlantic side, a bit worse on the caribbean) but the wind cools you down and it's a hell a lot windier than Chicago. I've been cold in Puerto Rico in the middle of summer laying on the beach when the clouds blocked out the sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I consider high 40's to be uncomfortably cold, as that means the night is upper 20's or lower which is bitterly cold to me. It is in the low 60's in January in Austin for the average high. Now that is nice for mid winter. The nights are still cold in the 40's so heat is needed even in Austin, but many days the heat is not on even in the winter. So yes you get days you don't need A/C in the summer in Chicago and we get (more) days we don't need heat in the winter in Austin.
You're like a delicate tender flower 40s uncomfortably cold, 80s uncomfortably hot

40s are fine if you dress for it. 80s are beautiful.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:55 AM

771 posts, read 1,395,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
No, they are very pleasant. Maybe only a little bit hotter than Chicago (if you're on the atlantic side, a bit worse on the caribbean) but the wind cools you down and it's a hell a lot windier than Chicago. I've been cold in Puerto Rico in the middle of summer laying on the beach when the clouds blocked out the sun.
Go to the U.S. territories and ask them if they think Puerto Rico is comfortable in the summer. With the exception of the mountains, Puerto Rico is HOT in the summer. I am from there, I have family there, I visit there. I know. Puerto Rico about has more ore less the same type of summer heat that Miami does.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Go to the U.S. territories and ask them if they think Puerto Rico is comfortable in the summer. With the exception of the mountains, Puerto Rico is HOT in the summer. I am from there, I have family there, I visit there. I know. Puerto Rico about has more ore less the same type of summer heat that Miami does.
Which part of PR do you visit? My mom is from luquillo. I don't need to ask anyone about the summer temps on the island, I've been there enough.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:02 AM

Of course by the coast in Puerto Rico will always be cooler just like anywhere else on Earth. Even Lake Michigan gives nice breezes in the summer. It's actually cooler the closer your are to the lake. With that being said once you move away from the beaches in Puerto Rico is gets really hot and sticky in the summer. Unless you are a tourist, you will spend most of your time not on the beach, hence will have to deal with the heat. The only places that are actually cool are in the mountains.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Of course by the coast in Puerto Rico will always be cooler just like anywhere else on Earth. Even Lake Michigan gives nice breezes in the summer. It's actually cooler the closer your are to the lake. With that being said once you move away from the beaches in Puerto Rico is gets really hot and sticky in the summer. Unless you are a tourist, you will spend most of your time not on the beach, hence will have to deal with the heat. The only places that are actually cool are in the mountains.
lol why don't you tell me which part you're from? It's such a tiny island you're either near the coast or in the hills for the most part.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Which part of PR do you visit? My mom is from luquillo. I don't need to ask anyone about the summer temps on the island, I've been there enough.
I was born in Bayamon. Family there lives in San Juan metro, Ponce and Guanica. Usually when I go I visit the entire island but hit the south and north coasts the most.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
lol why don't you tell me which part you're from? It's such a tiny island you're either near the coast or in the hills for the most part.
Come on, it's tiny, but you know altitude can shift everything. Utuado is actually very cool and drops to the 40's in the night where 30 minutes away in San Juan it can be 40 degrees hotter. Yeah it's a small island but it's possible to have different climates. Look at Quito, Ecuador. It sits right on the equator and it has a climate similar, if not cooler to that of San Francisco because it is in the mountains, while not far away it's a hot ass amazon jungle.

Yes some parts are comfortable, but MOST of the island gets hot in the summer.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I was born in Bayamon. Family there lives in San Juan metro, Ponce and Guanica. Usually when I go I visit the entire island but hit the south and north coasts the most.
So you're mostly from the south? The south gets hotter and stickier than the north but it's not as bad as MIA imo.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Come on, it's tiny, but you know altitude can shift everything. Utuado is actually very cool and drops to the 40's in the night where 30 minutes away in San Juan it can be 40 degrees hotter. Yeah it's a small island but it's possible to have different climates. Look at Quito, Ecuador. It sits right on the equator and it has a climate similar, if not cooler to that of San Francisco because it is in the mountains, while not far away it's a hot ass amazon jungle.

Yes some parts are comfortable, but MOST of the island gets hot in the summer.
Yeah the hills are nice but my point was that few spots on the island are truly uncomfortable in the summer. You're either being blasted by winds, or in the hills. The exception is mostly the southern countryside (my favorite btw) which gets protected from the winds and gets a fair amount hotter. Even then, it ain't really that bad. Try a summer in Mississippi you'll fall in love with the island
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.